Thread: Trick knee

Default Trick knee

I used to bowl in leagues when I was in junior high and high school, then recreationally on a less frequent basis, then in leagues again in 1999-2000 while I was active duty in the Marine Corps (during that time, my average went from under 150 to between 180-190). But the Marine Corps is a game for the young, and by then I was about 40 -- short version, the Marines beat the crap out of my joints. I have had three (left) knee surgeries including a replaced ACL, I have an artificial disk in my back, and I have questionable wrists and ankles. I'm now 53 and overweight. I swim fairly regularly, and a few months ago I started bowling again for fun and for exercise.

My first problem is the final step-slide in my approach. It seems like I can't get a good slide, and it's hard to be consistent when my shoes get a little grippy, and sometimes I end up hopping a bit. I suspect my weight has something to do with that. I tried using a toe slider thingy, but that took me from too much friction to almost no friction -- it didn't help, and it almost put me on the ground a few times.

My next and biggest problem is my knee. It when my leg is straight, I can rotate my upper leg about 20-30 degrees at the knee joint, and it's not supposed to be able to do that. It's not normally a problem, but it can become one really quickly if I am putting weight on while bending it and it starts to rotate inside. Bowling requires a lot of that, and so my approach has sometimes been complicated by my knee with a sudden shot of pain or collapse. It hasn't caused me to fall, mostly (I have ended up on my butt one time), but it makes things tricky and inconsistent. I have tried using a knee brace, and it doesn't help for what my knee does. Incidentally, the above mentioned hopping isn't putting my knee at risk, it's my technique to avoid further injury. Obviously, if I can get my approach smoothed out and consistent, it will be better for my knee.

Next, I need help with my release. I have read a lot and watched videos about cocked wrists and cupped wrists, etc., and couldn't really understand it until someone made a comparison I could relate to -- it's just like throwing a football with an underhanded spiral. That I can do! I can do it perfectly and consistently. So I tried it the next time I went bowling, and no matter what I did, it didn't feel like throwing a football with an underhanded spiral. Is that the sort of thing that just takes time and practice? Or is there some part of the technique I'm just missing?

I'm not bowling in a league right now, I don't want to do that until I know I can do it safely and consistently. In the mean time, I'm going to a local lane once a week and bowling 5 games by myself, and trying to knock a decade-and-a-half's worth of rust off.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

WD-40,,, might take some of that with you for the rust!! LOL,,, I was Army Early 70s. Lose the weight, I lost right at 70 lbs, and it makes a HUGE difference... Lose the weight by eating real food,,, Organic as much as possible, in all forms. Stay away from processed crap,,, and fast food places, give up the soft drinks, and you will be on the road to much better health, and bowling! Exercise,,, I use the YMCA,,, gyms everywhere,,, good luck!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 32

Blue Talon I have had two knee surgeries myself but none as serious sounding as yours. You might try shoes the have interchangeable soles to help give you the proper feel your looking for. SST line from dexter is what I use. As far as the release goes I would suggest looking in to some coaching and they may be able to help you with ideas on the approach that can reduce the pressure on your knee

Most of all good luck and have fun
    Last edited by Amyers; 09-03-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 55

I know some believe it's not ideal, but you might try adjusting your timing to incorporate a "planted" left foot rather than a slide. Some say it is hard on the knee, but I have a coach that disagrees. He says if the timing is correct and you're not slamming in into the floor as if you mean to slide and don't, and it's a true plant, that it doesn't cause much stress. Maybe less considering some of your issues. I have a friend that started this a few months back due to a knee issue. She is doing great, but she says it's like moving in slow motion. Actually, she's getting more knee bend than I've ever seen her get. The hardest thing, according to her, is to learn to plant/step that left foot rather than a slide that doesn't slide. Find some video of Michael Haugen Jr to see what it looks like.

The release...yeah, it's what most of us struggle with.

Good luck and keep up the practice!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Thanks for the responses!

I found that some of my more successful approaches had something more like a planted foot. I will be more conscientious about that and pay closer attention next time I bowl.

Thanks for the tip on the shoes.

And I have a soda about once a month, whether I need it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon View Post
    Thanks for the responses!

I found that some of my more successful approaches had something more like a planted foot. I will be more conscientious about that and pay closer attention next time I bowl.

Thanks for the tip on the shoes.

And I have a soda about once a month, whether I need it or not.
    iceman nailed it! i dropped over 100 pounds and it has made a world of difference in my approach, i have had two knee surgeries as well (thank you football) i have a cadaver's patella and a reconstructed ACL, i had issue before my weight loss where my knee cap would slide around, i used a Robby's "Kneed it" brace to help that problem. after my weight loss i have had no such problem, i have zero knee pain.

as far as shoes i would listen to Amyers about the SST line from Dexter i love my S10 sole, best slide with better friction than a slide sock.

you release could be related to your approach, i would find a coach to help you through that.
    "watching pros throw countless strikes in a you tube video, is like watching
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"