Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tip from other bowlers?

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

Default tip from other bowlers?

I only been bowling in leagues since june, only been bowling more then with house gear since jan. so I am very open for tips. today I was practicing and a guy I bowled summer leagues with, he was giving me on aiming my shots, told me I was aiming with the wrong foot. about two frames later he realized I was using a 4 step approach. he uses a 5 step approach.

1: I have read that you aim with (4-step approach) your slide foot. have I read wrong?

he also had me move from board 23 to board 30. it was very uncomfortable with the move.( I like playing from boards 15 to 25) I normally either run down the outside and hook into the pock or add 2 or 3 mph and down and in to balls at an angle. I felt like my score was really bad. 87. I normally keep my score close to or over 100. high practice score of 214 and a high league score of 196. but on the other hand I always have 1 bad game in 3.

2: Should I take his advise and start working on a 20+ board hook, or keep with what I have been doing and keep running the ball down the outside or down and in.

all these advise was given to me from games 14 and 15 and was very tired. and made me thinking too much and may have thrown me off.
    he is not a coach, he learned to bowl the same way I did. I am pretty good at learning new things. really made me feel like I was not getting better and my confidence and pride is kind shot after trying it his way.

I am a big believer in "if its not broken don't fix it". If you were comfortable the way you were bowling there is not normally a need to completely change what you do. I prefer to just get more consistent and accurate with how you bowl. Everyone bowls different and there is no steadfast right or wrong way to do it. I would just concentrate more on hitting the same spot consistently. More hook does not necessarily mean better scores either.

Oh and you should be aiming at the arrows not with your feet.

Chats: 32

Your slide foot should be pointed at your target. as far as the lines you play what is comfortable and what it working is the best. if your ball starts to hook too much you should move left with your feet and your target if the ball looks like it is burning up (starts to hook then stops) you need to move left. other than that at this point in your game play where your comfortable.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Your key words here are "he is not a coach." If your car is broken do you start asking everyone whose cars work how to fix it? Of course not. You go to a mechanic whose job it is to fix cars. As you are just starting out, it is the perfect time for you to learn the fundamentals of bowling before you develop bad habits that will be very hard to correct later. Rather than bowling 15 or 20 games at a time, save your money and find a qualified coach to get you started out on the right foot (pun intended).

SandBagger

The 15 games are not the norm anymore, Normally it is like 3 or 4 with my wife and dad. One tip I really took was balance. I know that is one thing that had been a problem for me

Again, the "tip" you took was balance because it has been a problem for you. Balance is not something you deal with by itself. It is connected to several other things including footwork and timing. A coach can look at the root causes of problems that bowlers have. Well meaning tips are nothing more than band-aides that keep you from addressing the real problem. What is you aversion to finding a qualified coach?

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by coreyds012778 View Post
    2: Should I take his advise and start working on a 20+ board hook, or keep with what I have been doing and keep running the ball down the outside or down and in.
    And he serves Rob up a softball....

Yeah man, at this early of a stage in your bowling career, you need to start with a lesson from an actual bronze or preferably silver level coach. 30 minutes to an hour will do wonders. Then, practice...practice...practice. Get the basics down...footwork, timing, etc... Never too early to start working on spare shooting. Then, get lesson #2. Rinse, repeat.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 184; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

SandBagger

Yeah man, at this early of a stage in your bowling career, you need to start with a lesson from an actual bronze or preferably silver level coach. 30 minutes to an hour will do wonders. Then, practice...practice...practice. Get the basics down...footwork, timing, etc... Never too early to start working on spare shooting. Then, get lesson #2. Rinse, repeat.
    thinking of taking some lessons after the first of the year. busy time of the year as well where I work. been working on spare shooting. straight rolling with a reactive ball and hooking. I loft way too much when I throw straight.

SandBagger

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Again, the "tip" you took was balance because it has been a problem for you. Balance is not something you deal with by itself. It is connected to several other things including footwork and timing. A coach can look at the root causes of problems that bowlers have. Well meaning tips are nothing more than band-aides that keep you from addressing the real problem. What is you aversion to finding a qualified coach?
    that was the first time in the last month I was able to practice on my own. there is one 15mins away. most the time when I am off from work I have things to do around the house or I am off taking care of honey do list. or the days i am off does not work well for when I can come see him. he also is my driller and runs an center himself. the only one I know of and trust locally.

already address in these thread that me seeing a coach after the first of the year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast