Thread: Not moving my feet improved my game

Default Not moving my feet improved my game

I haven't been bowling very long. At the end of last season, my average was 123. I watched all kinds of videos telling me how to improve my game and how to get strikes, how to pick up spares, and how to make adjustments. I was putting way too much thought into everything and I think that is what kept me from improving.

This season, I do not move my feet to a different board. I just change the arrow (or space between the arrows) that my eyes look at as I approach and release the ball. This is what finally worked for me. I have bowled as high as 189 this season, and after only 3 weeks, my average is up to 146 already.

If you are new to bowling and nothing else has worked for you, you might want to try this as well.

Chats: 32

I'm not sure this would be advice I would prescribe to everyone but until you can consistently hit a mark it doesn't matter if you move your feet or target anyway. Then you have to develop and understanding of why your moving. Sometimes I see people make moves just because they think they are supposed too.

I bowled three games today only made an adjustment once. Relatively heavy oil and everyone else was playing well away from me. Other times I may need to make three or four adjustments during a three game set.

Eventually you will need to move your feet or you will create angles that are impossible to play.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Think of it this way: you can drive your car for a long time without filling the gas tank, but eventually you are going to get stuck!

I wasn't saying everyone should do it, or that I will do it forever. I just think that not having to think about my feet for right now allows me to work on keeping my arm straight and stuff. When I get to the point that I no longer have to think about what my arm is doing, then I can work on my feet. I hope I am explaining it right.

Whatever works to concentrate on the part of the game you want to work on. Great improvement, Angie! As mentioned this system will have its limitations.. but for now, keep practicing the swing and targeting until you don't have to think about it.. then worry about the feet.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Glad you're seeing improvement Angie.

Before I start teaching spare shooting and board moves with people I coach, I like them to have a consistent 4/5 step approach, decent timing, mad a good arm swing down. Maybe once you feel more like these things are muscle memory and you don't have to think about them much anymore, adding on spare shooting and board moves might be a good idea.