Thread: Ball motion hole

Default Ball motion hole

Recently started using one of the balls i used to throw a lot that has a motion hole. My release now is staying more towards the back of the ball and having more end over end roll compared to back then when i would come around the ball more. But when rolling the ball down the lane, i hear the hole hitting the lane and making a hollow sound. This make any difference on how the ball is going to react or should i just plug and red rill.

Chats: 32

The ball should not be rolling over the motion hole. Have your driller take a look at it. Your PAP has most likely changed do to the change in your release causing this. They may just change the motion hole or redo the whole thing.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Are you sure your hitting the weight/balance hole and not the thumb hole?

If you changed your release and your having more end over end roll, you could actually be rolling over your thumb hole as opposed to flaring over the weight hole.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I'm pretty sure its the motion because when I'm looking at my track flare, it looks like the last ring is still a little bit from the thumb hole.

Chats: 256

Motion holes are typically on other side of where your track is and closer to your PAP, so I would wager that you are rolling over thumb as Bowl1820 mentioned.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

I actually forgot to mention where the motion hole was. The motion hole was drilled above the pin that is more close to my track flare than the actual thumb hole. It was a weird drilling that was suppose to copy a unique drill pattern.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I'm pretty sure its the motion because when I'm looking at my track flare, it looks like the last ring is still a little bit from the thumb hole.
    Here's a basic pic of a balls typical flare track. (with a typical balance hole)

For the "last flare ring" to be near the thumb hole (position 1) you would have to have a ton flare on the ball.
    If this is the case, yes your hitting the balance hole.

or For the "last flare ring" to be near the thumb hole (position 1) if you are a full roller (where the track is in between the finger and thumb holes. Now you might roll over a balance hole.

For the "last flare ring" to be near the balance hole (position 2) you would have to also have a lot of flare on the ball. But it is possible.

Now if your talking about a Mo Pinel "MO" tion hole, that's something different. That has to be place just right so you don't hit it and if you had one of those Then changed your release. You could easily hit it.

Now a MO hole is basically on the other side of the ball.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 09-17-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I actually forgot to mention where the motion hole was. The motion hole was drilled above the pin that is more close to my track flare than the actual thumb hole. It was a weird drilling that was suppose to copy a unique drill pattern.

In that case you more than likely need to plug and move.

Since your doing something different, I'd just plug it and not redrill (Unless there's a issue with static weights.)

will do thanks for the help

Chats: 221

cover the hole with tape and roll the ball.If you see the oil lines hit the tape plug the ball and reposition the hole