Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't get new ball under control

Default Can't get new ball under control

So, after about a 15 year lay-off from bowling, I decided to start again. I had been going with my GF for about the last 2 or 3 months regularly...once a week or so. I had been using house balls and did okay. I know, house balls are an embarrassment but I didn't want to just run out and buy a new ball before I was sure that I was into bowling again.

I was regularly hitting 145-175 with a 195, 203 and 223 sprinkled in there. One of the houses we go to has some old, retired black rubber Brunswick balls. I found one that evidently had been used by a fingertip bowler and it actually fit my had pretty good. It was loose as far as the hole size but the span was good. I would find that ball every time I went to that house because it felt good. My style is stroker. 15 MPH tops but I've done 5 baggers and have felt good using that ball.

I decided that I wanted to stick with bowling and consider a league so I did a little research and bought a new ball. I got a Hammer Absolut curve. To make a long story short, I now struggle to throw a 175 and out of about 15 games, that's the best I've done. I've thrown a few that were barely over 100. The ball is drilled for fingertip with inserts and no thumb insert. Initially, the thumb was too tight and almost ripped my arm out of the socket on one throw. I had the pro shop open it up a bit but I still can't get a clean release. Even though my thumb goes in easy enough, I can't get it to release cleanly. The side of my thumb is rubbing and forming a callous. Sometimes I loft the ball because it's not coming off my thumb cleanly. I spoke with the guy who drilled it and he seemed extremely knowledgeable about the geometry and placement of the holes, etc. He explained about pin placement, core, tracking, etc. and was very helpful. But, I haven't been back since he opened it up a little for me.

Looking back, I had a Hammer Blue back in "the day" and I had similar issues; brand new ball but the thumb had to be opened up and then taped so I could throw it properly. To me, it's irritating to buy a new ball, drill it oversize then tape it so it fits...shouldn't it fit right the first time? I'm not really sure where to go next. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Last edited by axslinger99; 10-01-2014 at 06:29 PM.

There are two issues here. The first is easy: get a thumb slug put in the ball. It's much smoother material, and it should solve your hang-up problems. The second issue is a little more painful. You went from throwing non-reactive bowling balls with conventional grips to throwing a very aggressive heavy oil ball with fingertip grips. This is sort of like learning to ride a tricycle and hopping into a NASCAR race car and expecting to compete. You have two options: either buy another entry level reactive resin ball and save the Hammer for later, or trade in the Hammer to get that entry level ball.

P.S. - whoever sold you that Absolute Curve, if he knew your situation, had only one thing on his mind: make as much money off of you as possible. I'd probably refrain from buying anything else from that shop for the next 50 years minimum!

Hi Axslinger99. I'm sure some more seasoned bowlers will have more value to add, but I believe its impossible for the thumb to be drilled for a perfect fit. Drill bits are Round and Thumbs are not. Beyond that, your thumb will swell and shrink with weather/salt/bowling etc. For over a month my thumb was taped just to my liking and this past weekend I had to take 4-5 pieces all out in order to get a clean release, for whatever reason.

There are other solutions to taping like getting an Interchangeable Thumb ( like VISE IT)... but opening up the hole and using tape is pretty much the standard solution.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The second issue is a little more painful. You went from throwing non-reactive bowling balls with conventional grips to throwing a very aggressive heavy oil ball with fingertip grips. This is sort of like learning to ride a tricycle and hopping into a NASCAR race car and expecting to compete. You have two options: either buy another entry level reactive resin ball and save the Hammer for later, or trade in the Hammer to get that entry level ball.

P.S. - whoever sold you that Absolute Curve, if he knew your situation, had only one thing on his mind: make as much money off of you as possible. I'd probably refrain from buying anything else from that shop for the next 50 years minimum!

I have to disagree with Rob on this one. First Axslinger99 mentioned he was using a old retired rubber ball with a finger tip grip. He may or may not have been throwing it straight but it sounds like he is at least comfortable throwing a finger tip grip. But as someone who just learned to hook a bowling ball in May, there is a big learning curve from playing straight and bowling with a hook. However, I don't think that having strong equipment is an impairment. I started with an Ebonite Cyclone and in very short order (less than 1 month got a IQ Fusion). I noticed no difference because of my low rev rate as a beginner. Because of that I needed (still need) stronger equipment than the condition calls for.

Quote Originally Posted by bobforsaken View Post
    I have to disagree with Rob on this one. First Axslinger99 mentioned he was using a old retired rubber ball with a finger tip grip. He may or may not have been throwing it straight but it sounds like he is at least comfortable throwing a finger tip grip. But as someone who just learned to hook a bowling ball in May, there is a big learning curve from playing straight and bowling with a hook. However, I don't think that having strong equipment is an impairment. I started with an Ebonite Cyclone and in very short order (less than 1 month got a IQ Fusion). I noticed no difference because of my low rev rate as a beginner. Because of that I needed (still need) stronger equipment than the condition calls for.
    So you went from an Ebonite Cyclose and in less than 1 month got an IQ Tour Fusion, and you think that this means axslinger99, with a 15 mph ball speed should have no problem with a ball that is designed specifically for heavy oil which will roll out at the arrows with his ball speed? The IQ Tour Fusion is a symmetrically-cored ball with a low rg, and a low differential. It is not meant for heavy oil. The Absolute Curve is.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by bobforsaken View Post
    Hi Axslinger99. I'm sure some more seasoned bowlers will have more value to add, but I believe its impossible for the thumb to be drilled for a perfect fit. Drill bits are Round and Thumbs are not.
    Depending on the definition of "perfect", you can get a good fit.

My fit is great, the ball comes off clean, no callouses, blisters etc.

As for the round hole, yes most bowlers should have a Oval hole which a good proshop can do or you can get a Oval insert (I use a vinyl oval insert)

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thanks for the replies. Bob is right, I'm comfortable with a fingertip grip but I should note that that old Brunswick was drilled large so I had to squeeze it a bit. However, due to the span of the holes, I was able to use fingertip grip. I threw it with a nice, lazy curve that hit the pocket at perhaps 3 degrees. I know how to provide lift using my fingers, etc. But due to the old technology, it wasn't a "killer" hook. I believe I could throw this new ball if it would just let go of my hand cleanly.

With regard to Rob's response...I actually did a lot of research on the ball at bowlingball.com and made my selection after doing a lot of comparisons. The fact is, this could be a $70 plastic ball but if it's not releasing cleanly, it wouldn't make any difference. I'm comfortable adjusting on the lane based on the reaction of the ball. The issue is, I can't even throw a shot that feels good, never mind where the ball ends up. Somebody had said, "if you can tell when it leaves your thumb, you're doing it wrong", so my guess is that I need to adjust the thumb hole but the question is, how? Which way? How much? I don't want to end up "squeezing" the ball.

Thanks again...

So you went from an Ebonite Cyclose and in less than 1 month got an IQ Tour Fusion, and you think that this means axslinger99, with a 15 mph ball speed should have no problem with a ball that is designed specifically for heavy oil which will roll out at the arrows with his ball speed? The IQ Tour Fusion is a symmetrically-cored ball with a low rg, and a low differential. It is not meant for heavy oil. The Absolute Curve is.
    To clarify, I think we can leave the reaction out of the equation; my issue is a clean release and roll. I'll deal with targeting once can get it to leave my hand cleanly.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by axslinger99 View Post
    The side of my thumb is rubbing and forming a callous.
    That's sounds like it may be a pitch problem. but can be related to hole size/oval also

go to this page and find the picture that shows where the rubbing is and it will give you the common cause for it.

http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_...s/fitting.html

Rob's suggestion to use a thumb slug is good, a lot of bowlers skin find the coverstock too tacky and their skin drags on it. (That's why I went to using oval vinyl inserts).

Slugging it also can make it easy for making pitch changes.

getting a grip just right can take sometime, with getting the pitches tweaked just right and so forth.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-01-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Actually, the Absolut Curve is Medium-Heavy oil which is 191 on bowlingball.com's "perfect" scale of 5-300 whereas the IQ Tour Fusion has a "perfect" scale of 214 so it's "hooking" ability is considerable higher than the Hammer. I realize I'm the amateur here...don't get me wrong, not second guessing anybody, just pointing this out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast