Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't get new ball under control

Chats: 55

Back to the release issue. Here is something I would suggest. Next time out, try and do one-step drills. If you can release the ball without any difficulty, it probably isn't the fit, pitch or size. This would determine that your timing is a bit off causing your hand position to be off and thus making your thumb hang in the ball. Pretty easy exercise to do and you can really tell what is wrong with the release.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

I think it's under control. I took the ball back to the center that drilled it and explained my situation. He noted that the fingers were a little tight so he went up one size on the inserts. He opened the thumb hole up a touch in the area that was rubbing and getting sore. The gentleman was kind enough to observe me for 2 full games and coach me at no cost. I rolled a 155, 203 and a 191. I'm quite pleased with the results.

If anybody is from AZ, Rusty at the Brunswick Zone at Kyrene lanes in Chandler was the individual who helped me and I couldn't be more pleased. The ball responded to my style well and didn't over-react at all, unless I wanted it to. I've never had a strong hook so I think, for my style, this ball may turn out to be a good choice.

Thanks for everybody's input...I'm sure I'll be back as I progress.

ax,

you may wish to do one of two things to help your thumb release more cleanly from the bowling ball....1st, ask an experienced bowling instructor to watch you deliver the ball.....there may be a problem in your release technique which causes you to hang onto the ball and irritate your thumb?....next, experiment with a wrist support device to help prop up your wrist and encourage the thumb to leave the ball slightly before your fingers....a lot of people resist wearing a wrist device but, quite honestly, would benefit greatly if they were to find one which is comfortable and help the thumb escape the ball quickly......another thought is that maybe you are curling the knuckle of your thumb inside the thumb hole slightly which will prohibit your thumb from exiting the ball smoothly and on time....try placing the nail of your thumb to the back of the hole as you swing and deliver the ball....sometimes it is a simple trick which can get you going????.....hope this helps.....

Last year I returned to bowling after a similar layoff, and the learning curve to the new equipment has kicked my butt at times! After a bit of trial & error and working with my ball driller, I think I'm getting a handle on it. I started out picking up a used White Dot & Slate Grey U-Dot, and then about a dozen resin balls to try & figure out how the game have changed.

One problem I've had with fit is that the conventional wisdom is to make the thumb hole a bit big and have the bowler add tape. My thumb SHRINKS every time I bowl, so a few shots in I'm squeezing it...even with a whole stack of tape. My thumb also comes out of the ball very quickly, even with under palm pitch, so if I use finger grips I wind up grabbing the ball at the bottom of my swing.

Proper fit may not make me a PBA star, but bad fit was making me look like amateur night.
    Current arsenal - Columbia 300 White Dot - Columbia 300 Slate Grey U-Dot - Columbia 300 Take Down - Hammer Vibe Envy
    Favorites of the past - Bonanza Yellow Dot(first ball) - AMF Ultra Angle - Several Columbia Blue Dots

Chats: 0

Things that will cause a thumb to hang up. A thumbhole that is too small. A thumb knuckle that rises up inside the thumbhole as the swing is coming down usually because of a muscled swing or the wrist breaking back as the ball gets closer to the release area. Another problem is when entering the release area your hand doesn't stay behind the ball and comes up the side of the ball to the top which will cause a spinner. Your thumb will usually hang up with this kind of release. The only way your thumb will come out of the ball correctly is if you stay behind the ball going through the release zone and you keep your thumb flat inside the thumbhole and not let the thumb knuckle raise by gripping the ball harder on the downswing.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Chats: 0

I've had thumb issues this year too, after a similar layoff from bowling . I also recommend a thumb slug. The great thing about those is you can always rip it out and try another type of pitch change instantly. One thing I didn't see anyone else suggest is the use of extremely tight finger inserts. I use them to let that tight fit take the weight of the ball off my thumb, and also allow me to relax my hand as I swing the ball behind me. I am on my third thumb slug in my one ball, and it's tighter than ever, yet I get the ball off my hand as clean as possible because I'm not squeezing it at all .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123