Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to bowling.

Default New to bowling.

Names Wade. my son has asked me to start bowling. I came here to read and learn about bowling, I don't know if I am going to bowl or not. I feel like I should learn as much as I can before I decide if this is a sport I want to get into. I might post from time to time but for the most part I will just keep an eye on post that peak my interest.

Chats: 204

Just do it!!

"Getting into it" is relatively painless and inexpensive at first. So there's really no downside. And who cares if you're not GREAT at it early on....it's one of the few sports where scoring is handicap style so a new bowler has just as much chance (more or less depending on who you ask) to win as an experienced one.

I just got back from Laughlin and of the 5-man team...me and the other experienced bowler each won $24. The guy who throws 1/2 his balls into the gutter won just over $100. The guy who just started bowling this season won about $120. And the guy with a 130 average that throws a back-up ball (throws it like a lefty but using his right hand) won $156!!

Why? Well, because God hates me. Why else? God is teaching me humility. Why else? Because these guys get like 90-100 pins of handicap each game and thus have just as much shot at having a good game and winning as the more experienced folks.

It's "win win"...

Also...totally random thought...it's been like probably over 30 years since I met someone named "Wade". Grade school there were a couple "Wade"s...haven't met one since. Weird.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Gone59 View Post
    Names Wade. my son has asked me to start bowling. I came here to read and learn about bowling, I don't know if I am going to bowl or not. I feel like I should learn as much as I can before I decide if this is a sport I want to get into. I might post from time to time but for the most part I will just keep an eye on post that peak my interest.
    Everyone I have gotten started in bowling that didnt know if they would like it or not, all of them still play to this day, some play for fun weekends, others have gotten further into leagues and competitions.. Give it a try man, I almost guarantee you will get something out of it, even if it is just having fun playing the game with your son. Thats how I got my wife started, so we could have some fun together and something in common, now she is on two leagues, and can almost beat me
    Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com

I am a proud winner of a Bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Once you start, you'll never stop.........

Well Wade like Aslan said bowling is relatively painless and inexpensive at first. You do not have to commit to a league because there is open bowl, you can use a house ball so you do not have to buy one and you can rent bowling shoes. Once you figure out if you enjoy bowling then you can start buying things and joining leagues if you want. So all you have to lose is a few bucks and maybe an hour or two here and there.
    Just call me Twisted
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums.

Chats: 204

If you're gonna do it, you want to maximize the fun as well as minimize the cost.

1) Buy some slightly used shoes of Ebay. The $29 investment will pay for itself by the 8th time you wear them.
    2) Join a no-tap league. Not as competitive. Easier. Great for true beginners.

Then see how ya like it.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

It's addictive. It's fun. It's relatively inexpensive. Have fun with it. I bowl once a week with two of my daughters. They are new to it this year and get better every time we go. It's a great way to spend time with the kids.
    Last edited by foreverincamo; 10-12-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Just do it You will like it, you will love it, you will hate it....often times all in one night lol But you WILL have fun

I also started bowling about 18 months ago because my son (now 9) wanted to start bowling. When I started I sucked plain and simple with somewhere around an 80 average throwing a house ball straight. After a couple of weeks I bought a cheap Ebonite Crush/R remake for around $40 drilled and a pair of shoes for $30. Taught myself how to hook a ball first 2 handed, then 1 hand with no thumb and finally 1 hand with thumb. 3 months after I started I joined a league with a friend and learned a lot finishing with a 136 average last fall. 18 months later I bowl in 2 leagues as a regular and sub in another from time to time and average around 175 with a high game of 242.

Point is when i started i wasn't good at it but I found it fun and challenging so I kept practicing and learning and am still improving. Have fun with your son and the good games will come.

Ringer

All i can say is just try it, you won't regret it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast