Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New ball for drier conditions help

Quote Originally Posted by foreverincamo View Post
    I guess I opened a big can of worms, didn't I? All I asked was what balls people are using on drier conditions, or what they switch to when their shot dries up. I've seen people walk in dragging 6 to 9 balls for tournaments. Don't tell me they just pick one ball and keep moving left and open up the lane.
    Yes, there are people who throw super-hooking equipment and loft the gutter cap to do so. I'm not wanting to do that- I'm too old for that. I keep moving left until I start leaving 10 pins, and then it's time to switch to something else that hooks less and carries the corner pin where I bowl in league .
    You need to understand that there are numerous applications for ball change adjustments. The three most common are:

1. Bowlers choose to "ball down" in order to remain in their comfort zone around the second arrow.
    2. High rev players often ball down as they move left to keep the ball tighter down the lane to keep from creating too much angle that will leave corner pins.
    3. Lower rev players often go to more aggressive equipment as they move left to help them to "get the ball back" despite their limited rev rates.

Chats: 0

RobLV1, I do understand there are many reasons to change balls. I have always just owned one ball and had to make lane and hand adjustments to compensate for changing lane conditions. All I'm trying to find out is what balls other people are using when their lanes are set up dry or have burned up so I can look at the ball descriptions to see what commonalities they have to make an informed decision on my next ball.
    Tonight over 7 games in practice I used my Mutiny Marauder and was throwing it from second arrow to outside of first arrow and pounding the pocket . So not a down and in night, but an effective shot tonight.
    Last edited by foreverincamo; 10-06-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foreverincamo View Post
    RobLV1, I do understand there are many reasons to change balls. I have always just owned one ball and had to make lane and hand adjustments to compensate for changing lane conditions. All I'm trying to find out is what balls other people are using when their lanes are set up dry or have burned up so I can look at the ball descriptions to see what commonalities they have to make an informed decision on my next ball.
    Tonight over 7 games in practice I used my Mutiny Marauder and was throwing it from second arrow to outside of first arrow and pounding the pocket . So not a down and in night, but an effective shot tonight.
    I understand what you are trying to do, and my reason for pointing out the different strategies involved is to help you to make the best choice based on YOUR needs, despite whatever well-meaning advice you get from others. Judging by your comment that playing the second arrow to outside of first arrow is "not a down and in" shot tells me that you don't hook the ball a whole lot, and most probably don't get to far left of the second arrow. If that is indeed the case, you'll need to find a ball with a higher rg (Maurader - 2.52), a lower diff. (Maurader - 0.050) and a symmetrical core (Maurader is asymmetrical). When you find such a ball, don't be afraid to play with the surface until you get just the reaction that you are looking for. This should allow you to stay on the same part of the lane throughout most league nights. Good luck.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    You need to understand that there are numerous applications for ball change adjustments. The three most common are:

1. Bowlers choose to "ball down" in order to remain in their comfort zone around the second arrow.
    2. High rev players often ball down as they move left to keep the ball tighter down the lane to keep from creating too much angle that will leave corner pins.
    3. Lower rev players often go to more aggressive equipment as they move left to help them to "get the ball back" despite their limited rev rates.
    FYI in the case of #2, too much angle doesn't leave corner pins. Corner pins are from not enough angle.

Too much angle combined with a bit too much skid leaves things like 2-10, 2-8-10, 2-4-8-10, 1-2-4-6-10.

Too much angle combined with a bit too little skid leaves things like 3-4, 3-4-6-7, 3-4-6-7-10, 3-4-6-7-9-10.

Motiv Ascent Apex. works for me.

Not going to get into it, Mike. I'm just telling you what many of the high rev guys have told me. As you can tell after having seen me bowl, how lanes affect high rev players is not something with which I have any personal experience.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll post what ball I end up getting.

I got the Brunswick Ringer Platinum Pearl, 16#. I haven't had it drilled up yet, but will soon. I'll let everyone know what happens with it

Im interested in this as well. House I bowl at is bone dry by mid second game. Older house with wood lanes scheduled for replacement with Synthetic "Next year", as we hear every year now for last 3 years. Lanes are conditioned before our set, but volume is ridiculously low. Completely burnt by mid second game. Moving left is the easy answer, but not when 9/10 bowlers on the set are chasing the same line (5-person team,mens league)

Last Season, I started the night with teh Motive Cruel Intent, and finished most with the Hammer Arson Hybrid or Hammer Nail SMoke and Fire.

This year, I'm starting with the Nail, and by end of second game, I'm throwing the Natural. I even tried a heavy polish with a slip agent on the Nail, but that doesn't last long at all. Got me further into 3rd game, but still had to finish with the Natural.

I've been throwing my old original Storm Natural with surface at 1000grit for the last few weeks and doing better with it than at the OOB 2000 grit. It makes an earlier move and hits harder (more drive, less slide) but it's still a struggle to make a 200+ game with it. I'm doing better with that than most guys throwing higher revs gutter to gutter. Consistency is key. I'ts forcing me to improve my accuracy which isn't a bad thing. No ball is going to give me back that room for error when the oil is gone, I know that.

But I'd like to have a ball with a different motion if one particular ball isn't working for me on a given night.

The Motive Ascent line is what I was looking at also, but was looking at the pearl.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Ptnomore; 10-23-2014 at 03:00 PM.
    Current THS Anvilane average 198. High Game: 279 Series: 749
    Current bag: Brunswick Wicked Siege, Hammer Arson Hybrid, Brunswick LT-48, Motiv Sniper

Finally got the Brunswick Ringer Platinum Pearl drilled last night. Lanes were perfect for trying out this ball. My league bowled on them the night before, and they hadn't been touched since. I threw my DV8 Marauder Mutiny over the 7th board and it hit the left side of the head pin....barely! Threw my new Ringer over the same spot and crushed the pocket. It looked like I was bowling on fresh oil. Now my next ball will be the Hammer Black Widow Legend for heavy oil and I'm done spending money on this sport this year.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast