Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What makes a Pro Bowler better than an Amateur bowler??

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    And why isn't anyone else ringing in?? This topic is way way way more interesting than the other craptastic threads. Do I have to change the title to "What ball should I buy" to get participation??
    Sorry Aslan, but I was at a retreat and had no internet access from Friday until now.

I know and have bowled against a number of people who are technically professional bowlers. They are card carrying members of the PBA. Most of them at least occasionally compete in PBA regionals and some still have hopes of making the national tour.
    So what separates these bowlers from the nationally known pros?
    One part is mental. I'm not sure exactly what it is but I'm sure that willingness to adapt to the lane and the ability to anticipate changes in the lane conditions are involved. I have seen friends throw a few perfect strikes and be convinced that they have found "the line". They then throw progressively worse games because their line requires that the ball be exactly on spot, exactly the same speed and rotation to strike.

Commitment; How much of regular life are you willing to give up? How much time are you willing to spend away from your friends and family to compete on tour? How much are you willing to spend on having the right balls in your arsenal, practice games, coaching?

I'll probably come up with some more ideas later.
    John

Chats: 0

To me, a pro dedicated an enormous amount of time honing his craft. There are three aspects to training for a pro bowler- time spent on the lanes, time spent on the mental game, and time spent in the gym. To be a pro, you need all three to be at the top. What hurts the pros now is if you're not on top, you can't make a living anymore .

Chats: 204

Ironically, while watching XtraFrame, Mark Baker's new cd that is coming out this Thursday; "The System" breaks down the difference into 10 things that separate Hall of Famers from non-Hall of Famers.

As I was watching and they were asking him about it and he was explaining it...I just kept thinking..."Hey! I ASKED THAT QUESTION!! You're stealing my question!! And why didn't Mark login and answer MY question!!"

They showed a little of the video. DAUNTING. I plan to take a lesson from him sometime in 2015...want to get ahold of his book and read it. And now I'm sure I'll have to get this DVD. But DAUNTING to see all 10 of these things...I just kept thinking to myself, "Well...great...it'll take me 3 years to do all 10 of those things simultaneously and probably more than a lifetime to do them all consistently. There goes beating out Chris Barnes for a Team USA spot." : (
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Keep watching xtra frame, you will probably see your girl Diana Z!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    another Hi-Jacked-thread,,, I like this web site, but,,, Wow,,, another one!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Ringer
    Chats: 0

There are many things that make a pro a pro.

I have had the pleasure of bowling with Pros in a couple of Pro-Ams. Whether it is Bill O'Neill, Parker Bohn, Doug Kent, Kelly Kulick, Ryan Ciminelli, etc. Bowling, for them, is effortless. They will strike all day long on a THS like they are on auto-pilot. Consistent speed, consistent release, accurate targeting on the lane, it is their job. It is how they earn a living. You can see they are always mentally focused and thinking. Where the amateur is having a certain level of fun, the pro is strictly at work when they step on to the approach. They are analyzing every shot, every ball reaction, every pin fall. They are simply at another level. At the same time they are acting as ambassadors of the sport and helping to grow it.

They have the drive. The pro is willing to sacrifice a steady 9-5 type of income to go on the road and try to win big. They may go weeks without any income, but they press on. They strive for pure excellence. To them, mediocrity is unacceptable and nothing is ever good enough. An amateur may bowl a 700 and be satisfied. A pro bowls 700 and knows exactly why it wasn't a 750. A pro bowls a 750 and expected an 800+. Many times, even after a pro wins, they feel they should have done even better. They are simply wired different.

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    another Hi-Jacked-thread,,, I like this web site, but,,, Wow,,, another one!
    Lighten up.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Lighten up.
    maybe the pot calling the kettle brown! obviously that went right over your head.....
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 204

Ughhhh…I wish Liz Johnson LOOKED like Diana Z. Because Liz is actually my age and she might even be single. And she's American. I'm done dating foreign chicks. No thanks. But man…Diana Z is ALL KINDS OF HOT. If I was in Vegas this week, Walter Ray would probably have to pay her to distract me from following him around the whole weekend.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Liz is pretty nice looking i think, she lost a lot of weight a few years back. The only thing though is and how do i say this......i think she plays from the other side of the ball return. But hey, you might be the man for the job. You are right about diana z though, she is nice looking.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast