Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Real Men Bowl on Wood, World Championship ICEMAN OPEN

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Michael, stick to the wood. If nothing else it will make you a more rounded bowler and give you a better understanding of the hassles those uf us stuck on old wood lanes face.
    Oh, wood being as it is, each board can absorb oil at a different rate. Our lane 8 has one board that absorbs oil quicker than the rest of the house. Each lane is also more susceptible to weather related lane changes
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    If you're measuring the energy potential that is being stored up...that gets released when the ball encounters friction...then I disagree. I have seen numerous examples of lower speed bowlers, very little revs or axis tilt...and once their ball gets to the breakpoint it starts to hook...then kinda just rolls out and misses right. That same ball, with a high rev rate...is gonna react much better when it hits the dry...more energy, more hook, sharper angle, and the only hope is it enters the roll phase as it gets to the pocket.

A spinning object, absolutely has potential/stored energy and that energy is released when the ball's rev rate is low enough and/or the lane surface/pattern is dry enough. If you don't believe that, then how would you explain pocket hits that leave a 7-pin or flat 10-pin??

A ball sitting on the roof has potential energy depending on how far the ball could fall.

PE = m * g * h.

m = mass,
    g = gravity
    h = height.

Once the ball makes contact with the lane, it is at the lowest point it's going to achieve (h = 0), there is no potential energy in the ball.

PE = m * g * h, and since h = 0, PE = 0;

What you are thinking of is different forms of kinetic energy

One form is linear momentum where KE(v) = 1/2 * m * v^2

m = mass
    v = velocity

Linear momentum can be further broken down into length wise momentum, and cross wise momentum.

Another from is angular momentum where KE(a) = 1/2 * I * w^2

I = moment of inertia
    w = radians per second (a form of rev rate)

The total kinetic energy would be the sum of both forms. KE = KE(v) + KE(a)

KE will stay constant throughout the shot, until the ball makes contact with the pins.

Once the ball encounters friction, the balance between KE(v), and KE(a) will change, but the sum will remain the same.

This process is constantly occurring until the ball reaches the roll phase, so the ball builds up momentum across the lane.

The more cross lane momentum the ball achieves, the more the ball will drive thru the pins, but likewise, it's harder to be accurate with all that cross lane momentum.

So what you see generating high scores with resin balls and a THS is a ball that slides left to right early on, and it only goes as far right as it needs to encounter enough friction to stop the left to right momentum. That will cause the ball to lose some of the Axis of Rotation, but hopefully not all.

The ball will try to hook left, but left of it's path is heavy oil, so it follows the edge of the oil.

As the ball approaches the end of the pattern, the oil thins, and left of the balls path isn't as heavy of oil, so ball will begin to hook again.

With enough rev rate, and axis of rotation left in the ball, it will build up right to left momentum.
    Last edited by Mike White; 08-30-2015 at 02:38 AM.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    A ball sitting on the roof has potential energy depending on how far the ball could fall.

PE = m * g * h.

m = mass,
    g = gravity
    h = height.

Once the ball makes contact with the lane, it is at the lowest point it's going to achieve (h = 0), there is no potential energy in the ball.

PE = m * g * h, and since h = 0, PE = 0;

What you are thinking of is different forms of kinetic energy

One form is linear momentum where KE(v) = 1/2 * m * v^2

m = mass
    v = velocity

Linear momentum can be further broken down into length wise momentum, and cross wise momentum.

Another from is angular momentum where KE(a) = 1/2 * I * w^2

I = moment of inertia
    w = radians per second (a form of rev rate)

The total kinetic energy would be the sum of both forms. KE = KE(v) + KE(a)

KE will stay constant throughout the shot, until the ball makes contact with the pins.

Once the ball encounters friction, the balance between KE(v), and KE(a) will change, but the sum will remain the same.
    It seems to me that the friction will convert at least some of the KE(v) into heat. After all, it's heat that causes a reactive resin ball to change its surface characteristics and give a stronger reaction than polyester or urethane.
    John

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    It seems to me that the friction will convert at least some of the KE(v) into heat. After all, it's heat that causes a reactive resin ball to change its surface characteristics and give a stronger reaction than polyester or urethane.
    Some of the KE, (v) or (a) will be converted to heat and sound, but it's insignificant.

As for heat making the balls more tacky, that may have been true of the early reactive resin balls.

If you remember, those balls would track up all kinds of crap on the surface on the way back to the bowler.

Current resin balls just come back mainly with oil rings, and a bit of lane shine..

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Wood I even not bowl these lanes???

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Michael, stick to the wood. If nothing else it will make you a more rounded bowler and give you a better understanding of the hassles those uf us stuck on old wood lanes face.
    Oh, wood being as it is, each board can absorb oil at a different rate. Our lane 8 has one board that absorbs oil quicker than the rest of the house. Each lane is also more susceptible to weather related lane changes
    While the weather is nice, I hook my home made trailer up to my Goldwing, and pull it behind me for a beautiful ride in the country with the stars above my head coming home each night at around 10:30pm.

I am bowling this year on 4 leagues, one of them being the hollowed wood grounds of that beautiful old school, 6 lane alley! It's 37.5 miles each way just for the challenge, that and the great fellowship, and people that bowl those lanes!

Something about the WOOD and them FARM boys,,,,,,, their earthiness,,,,,,, that makes the whole trip worth wild!

They all bring their own drinks, beer, whisky, drinks, you name it.... one might bring some fresh butchered meat, beer, pork, ect.. They share it all with one another. I sometimes think what a wonderful world this would be if everyone else got along as well as we do there! I don't drink, but do buy from the alley two bottles of purified water at the price of .50 cents per bottle... (CRAZY LOW PRICE), and if the meat is organic, with no growth hormones or antibiotics, I will partake!!

I find the experience one step away form being with the god's in the heavens!

No need to tell me to stick to wood,,, LOL,,, its my favorite place to bowl! ( I WOOD drive 49.6 miles, if that's what it took to bowl this vanishing breed of bowling lanes. I like the challenge of those 6 sacred,,,,,,,,,, blessed,,,,,,, consecrated,,,,,,, hallowed lanes!

What would my life be like NOW without them......(

The picture above was on my way to the Aslan, Iceman challenge in Vegas! Cool picture I took of the two vehicles,,, the guy below is the Truck Driver! Cool guy, we had a good time B.S. along with my wife! Made that trailer for under 500.00 dollars!

He was a lot of fun, took the picture below of my wife and me...

Last edited by MICHAEL; 08-30-2015 at 01:34 PM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    While the weather is nice, I hook my home made trailer up to my Goldwing, and pull it behind me for a beautiful ride in the country with the stars above my head coming home each night at around 10:30pm.

I am bowling this year on 4 leagues, one of them being the hollowed wood grounds of that beautiful old school, 6 lane alley! It's 37.5 miles each way just for the challenge, that and the great fellowship, and people that bowl those lanes!

One thing I do miss about being in the "big city" is stars don't provide as much contrast in the sky because of all the city light.

Back when Haley's comet came by, I went to an undeveloped area of So Cal to see it.

The stars looked like they were freshly painted on the sky.

I hoped to see that view again recently when I visited my uncle in Montana, but while the sky was pitch black, there must have been cloud cover because I didn't see a single star.

A little while ago you said the first league session on the resurfaced lanes were low scoring for everyone.

You said you walk around and all 48 people were not scoring well..

How do you fit 48 people, on 6 lanes?

8 people per lane?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    One thing I do miss about being in the "big city" is stars don't provide as much contrast in the sky because of all the city light.

Back when Haley's comet came by, I went to an undeveloped area of So Cal to see it.

The stars looked like they were freshly painted on the sky.

I hoped to see that view again recently when I visited my uncle in Montana, but while the sky was pitch black, there must have been cloud cover because I didn't see a single star.

A little while ago you said the first league session on the resurfaced lanes were low scoring for everyone.

You said you walk around and all 48 people were not scoring well..

How do you fit 48 people, on 6 lanes?

8 people per lane?
    ONLY YOU MIKE..... LOL would get that! Does 24 sound more like it? 4 per team, 6 lanes equals 24. I might have been thinking of all the family and friends that come sometimes just to have a great time sharing the food and drink!

MIKE,,,, Question: "Do you dream in numbers?"

Got to go,,, Royals are on!!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Blog Entries

ONLY YOU MIKE..... LOL would get that! Does 24 sound more like it? 4 per team, 6 lanes equals 24. I might have been thinking of all the family and friends that come sometimes just to have a great time sharing the food and drink!

Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Banned

When I first saw it, I thought the place had 12 lanes, but you were only planing on using 6 for the "RMBOWWCIO"

But then the picture showed only 6 lanes between the walls, so a red flag was raised.

I've heard of leagues that were bigger than the center doing multiple shifts.

Some teams bowl early, some bowl late, so you had to keep an eye on the schedule to know what time to show up.

As for dreaming in numbers.... you don't want to know how bad it can get sometimes.

Banned

I suppose that is all greek to you?

It's differential calculus.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast