Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The benefits of professional help

Chats: 891

forgot to mention the price that the Bowl U/Brad Angelo camp was it costs $250 USD or $275 CAD its a 2 day event of 7 hrs a day and very good training.

when it was here in Canada we did each day.

2 1//2: hr outdoor skill development

1 hr: lunch and hot topics

3 hr: indoor discussion and on lane workshop

1/2 hr: wrap up and giveaways

on day 2 we did not do that long outside we stayed outside for maby 1 hour because it was a lot hotter out on day 2 and everyone else was burnt but me I only got a tan lol, but we did the extra 1 1/2 that we had left from the outdoor on talking about sport patterns and oil transition and about a lot more.

but I can say this the outdoor skill development is fun we got to throw pins to learn the explosion point of your release and then we got to use the (eileens bowling buddys) training tools, had a fun time there was 1 game with the FOL BALL where we had to hit a disk in the middle of everyone and we had to count you get a partner for it.

but there was where activitys if you go threw the general bowling discussion forums and look for the thread brad angelo bowling camp, I posted every night when I got back to the hotel everything we did those days and a lot of information that we wrote down from day 2 when we did not say outside that long.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Forgot to mention earlier that there are some cool articles for free at this site:

http://www.bowlingball.com/BowlVersity/

Thanks
    Aw jeez...delete that before Hammer sees it. Don;t get him started on BowlVersity!

Quote Originally Posted by striker12 View Post
    2 1//2: hr outdoor skill development
    Good for when you bowl in the outdoor bowling centers. Also good if the clinic is being put on by homeless people. This was a "youth camp" right?

Quote Originally Posted by axslinger View Post
    I play guitar and used to take lessons. My teacher had a philosophy; you only need "X" number of lessons. At that point I have told you everything you need to know. From there, it's up to you to apply it and practice it.

The same holds true for bowling. A good coach could watch you throw 3-5 balls and recognized every mistake you are making and tell you what you need to do to correct it. From there, it's up to you.
    I would disagree with this....almost entirely.

If you take a bowling lesson (WAY different than a guitar lesson...and yes I've taken years of music lessons)...your coach, if good, is watching for any number of various issues. If they know what they are doing, they are going to work on maybe 2-3 things at a time. Not all 43 at once.

When I got a lesson from RobM...he gave me 9 things to work on over the next 5 months. He specifically said 2-3 times...that normally he would NOT give me that many things to work on at once...but since I wasn't going to be back in Vegas for many months...he made an exception. My current coach gave me 4 things to work on over the course of 3 weeks...and after seeing how "in my own head" I can be...after the 3rd lesson reduced it to a maximum of 2 per 3 weeks. I can guarantee that these coaches could find 40 things I need to work on. No problem. But working on THAT many things at once...idiotic idea. Take it from an idiot that has tried.

The advantage to having regular coaching is you may struggle with something. And if you do, and probably will, you need to go back and work on that again or MAYBE....the coach takes a different path. For example, I had trouble staying low on my release...so the coach wanted me to keep the side of my slide foot on the lane (to keep me from rising up). But I had to "sweep" it and not "kick" it. I tried that for 3 weeks and found that as I was focusing on "sweeping", I wasn't squaring my shoulders and was dropping the ball right. So instead of continue down that path...the coach changed the approach to focus more on being a bit higher...but not "bobbing" up and down....staying level. Still trying to get low...but not making it such a priority that it messed up my release. Then we started focusing on timing instead of staying low.

Coaches can see where you've made progress and where you haven't as well as what bad habits you're developing. Anyone can give you 2-3 pointers...the higher level coaches can modify their pointers to make your game better. Thats how I know a good coach from a bad. A bad coach will say, "Okay...here's how I bowl. Do THIS and you'll be a better a bowler. The End." A GOOD coach will figure out how YOU bowl...then systematically "adjust" YOUR game to maximize it. That takes time.

Chris Barnes gets lessons. I often wonder what a coach tells Chris Barnes since most coaches tell students to "watch how Chris Barnes does it".

Sidenote....you being a guitar expert...

My old list of Top 5 Guitarists ALL-TIME was:

1) Eric Johnson
    2) Randy Rhoads
    3) Zach Wylde
    4) Ted Nugent
    5) Slash

However, I was recently thinking of revising it to:

1) Roy Clark
    2) Eric Johnson
    3) Rany Rhoads
    4) Zach Wylde
    5) Ted Nugent

However....I saw a list of "Top 30 Guitarists Ever" and it didn't even LIST Rhoads, Johnson, Wylde, Nugent, OR Clark!! Sure, it had some guys that would be in my top 10 like Slash (my #6), Les Paul (my # 8), Eddie Van Halen (my #9), and Santana (my #10). But I don't see how in the WORLD you can put a top 30 list together and not have Rhoades, Clark, or Johnson on it. Thats absurd!
    Last edited by Aslan; 10-22-2014 at 05:24 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 891

aslan the camp was for anyone they did the outdoors for more room and to also use the sun on 1 of the training methods, this one was put a rope down but have the sun to your bad and do your bowling throw and balance, never let your shadow go over the line other then your arm its a good thing worked well for me, just cant do it at my down house, im surrounded by trees.

other things with the outdoor that is great is with my MOK orbs and KILK pins you watch your shadow and have a smooth swing you will notice if you are muscling them at all they will bend a bit, with these also help with balance, the other thing you watch your shadow for is when you swing the MOK orb or KILK pin out in front of you, you have 1 in each hand and they should both hit the same spot every time.

go onto the side I posted earlier elieens bowling buddys and go to the products they got videos of them check the out.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    The downside to that advice is that it costs thousands of dollars.

Not saying I wouldn't love to attend one…but why not just pay $100/month in lessons? You end up with more instructional time, 1 on 1 time, and it ends up being about the same cost.

The other thing that kinda annoys me about clinics is sometimes you get different advice from different people, and that can be confusing. You didn't have any of that going on at your camp? curious
    Nothing Replaces THE GIFT!! NOTHING!! No amount of lessons, or even lesions!!! LOL Find that inner gift that is hiding somewhere in that wordy body/mind of yours and then use it grasshopper!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    Nothing Replaces THE GIFT!! NOTHING!! No amount of lessons, or even lesions!!! LOL Find that inner gift that is hiding somewhere in that wordy body/mind of yours and then use it grasshopper!
    A good coach might be able to help Aslan find that "inner gift".
    John

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    A good coach might be able to help Aslan find that "inner gift".
    He has already had more coaches then there are grains of sand on the pacific coast!! He must find that GIFT HIMSELF!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Michael: You really need to stop this "gift" stuff. Everyone has a certain amount of talent (gift). A trained coach helps bowlers to tap the amount of talent they have. You have the talent. You have not been coached. I have little talent. I have been coached. I beat you, head to head. Aslan may, or may not have your talent, but if he nurtures it, and gets help developing it, he, too will beat you head to head, guaranteed!

Chats: 204

I listened to Marshall Kent talk today on XTraFrame and he spelled it out like this:

"Talent" is natural. You're born with it or you're not. "Skill" is how you develop that talent or how you build that talent if you don't naturally have it.

So a person with no natural talent is going to have to work a lot harder to become truly talented. But the difference between guys in tournaments and good house bowlers isn't talent per se…it's that they've developed the skills, like bowling on different sport patterns. Every bowler you see that bowls at the top level in house leagues or shows up for tournaments is "talented". It's their skills that differentiate the best from the rest.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Great Post! I went to the WSOB this morning, and Marshall Kent is definately very talented and very skilled at using that talent. He's very impressive!

One of the great things about the xtra frame coverage is the commentary from great bowlers like marshall kent. You really get a lot of insight on how they play the lanes and ball surfaces etc. I think i heard them say today that there was going to be some one doing extra reporting in regards to that during the 2nd round tonight.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast