Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new guy asking about IT

Default new guy asking about IT

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but not new to bowling media sites like this.

Anyway, I was wondering what brand, Vise or Turbo, do you prefer for switch/IT thumbs.

My friend is thinking about it and I don't have much experience with it. Any advice would be helpful....

I'm old school and I still use slugs (I used to do molds), and work on my thumb holes myself. Plus, I flare over thumb hole some times.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

The VISE Interchangeable Thumb (IT) is the most common one used.

There are 3 main brands:

VISE Interchangeable Thumb (IT)
    http://www.viseinserts.com/it.html

TURBOGRIP Switch Grip
    http://www.turbogrips.com/products_switch_grip.php

Grip Loc
    http://grip-loc.com/

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    The VISE Interchangeable Thumb (IT) is the most common one used.

There are 3 main brands:

VISE Interchangeable Thumb (IT)
    http://www.viseinserts.com/it.html

TURBOGRIP Switch Grip
    http://www.turbogrips.com/products_switch_grip.php

Grip Loc
    http://grip-loc.com/
    I'm assuming IT Vise is the better of the three? The shop I go to uses Vise, I'm not sure what my friends driller uses.......thanks.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    Hello all,

I'm new to this forum but not new to bowling media sites like this.

Anyway, I was wondering what brand, Vise or Turbo, do you prefer for switch/IT thumbs.

My friend is thinking about it and I don't have much experience with it. Any advice would be helpful....

I'm old school and I still use slugs (I used to do molds), and work on my thumb holes myself. Plus, I flare over thumb hole some times.

Thanks
    Flaring over the thumb can be pretty hard on any of the interchangeable thumbs.

One solution is to sand the top of the thumb insert so it is slightly below the surface of the ball, but that exposes the edge of the larger thumb hole to chipping.

Another solution is to change the layout so you don't flare over the thumb.

Chats: 1

I have the ITs love em one I my teammates has them and loves them it's worked very well for over a year now. So much so that our other teammates are switching to them. They might not be for everyone but we all like them.

Chats: 30

One of the shops I go to uses Vise. The other Turbo.

Personally, I like the feeling of the Turbo better (personal preference) as far as switching them in and out.

I'd take Mike's advice though re: the flaring over the thumb.
    Donna
    Current arsenal: Uproar / Rumble / T-Zone

Yeah, I avoid "pin down" layouts and not all of my stuff flare over the thumb hole. I could add flare reducing x holes, but that'll change the motion of the ball. My spare balls takes the abuse mostly. My end over end roll causes me to fix or buy new spares often. I've tried using my normal release, but for some stupid reason (or i just suck) I throw better with 14lbs using my normal release. But, with my 15lbs spare I tend to ditch it right throwing my normal release. So, I stick to end over end, flat release.....it's more accurate for me...

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

I use Vise, mainly because its what I started out with! Not sure there is really much difference? Vise has held out well for Iceman!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 0

I prefer the Turbo version because of how quick they are to change. The vise ones kind of screw in like a screw, whereas the turbo you just put it in and give 1/4 turn and its locked. Never had one come out yet.

If you are like my wife who changes out her thumb from her strike to her spare ball almost every shot the quick change might be important. However if you only change out once or twice a night then it shouldn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by ffemtreed View Post
    I prefer the Turbo version because of how quick they are to change. The vise ones kind of screw in like a screw, whereas the turbo you just put it in and give 1/4 turn and its locked. Never had one come out yet.

If you are like my wife who changes out her thumb from her strike to her spare ball almost every shot the quick change might be important. However if you only change out once or twice a night then it shouldn't matter.
    Vise might be a full turn,,, lol,,, but VERY easy to change, takes me about a second to twist it in with my left thumb. Don't see much advantage, or disadvantage in that regards.

I have about 15 balls with the Vise system, have not had any problems with any.

I would say its just a matter of choice, but no real difference I can tell, but then I have never had any experience with the Turbo brand, I am sure its about the same.

They both get the job done.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast