The Hyroad solid is the next ball in the Hyroad series of Storm bowling balls, this one having a solid R2S cover. The black and red cover has a 2000 grit factory finish and a cherry scent. The Hyroad solid has an Rg of 2.57 and a diff of 0.046 in 15lb balls. The Hyroad is in the Thunder line of bowling balls.
I drilled my Hyroad solid with a 4x5x3 layout, using the Storm system for laying out a bowling ball. This puts the pin just to the left of my ring finger. The box finish was very aggressive, and I didn’t throw the Hyroad but a few times before needing to head to the spinner to smooth the cover a bit with Storm step #1 polish to be able to use it on our house condition. This helped the ball hold pocket, but very quickly broke down the pattern, and forced me to make constant 2&1 moves, really pushing me out of my personal comfort zone. I have since decided to go back to a lower grit surface (a used 1000 grit abralon pad), and just use the ball when there is enough oil on the lane for it to be successful. The Hyroad solid has a very specific condition in which it rolls well for me, so I need to be patient and utilize it in that proper environment.
The Hyroad will cover a lot of boards, without having much of an overreaction. The Hyroad solid has a big sweeping curve motion. This is a ball that you would reach for if you wanted to open up a fresh league pattern. The Hyroad will provide plenty of flare so that you can have fresh cover touching the lane, providing optimum traction.
The success of the original Hyroad has developed into a pearl and now a solid covered ball. The Hyroad solid isn’t a ball for dry lanes. You need a long oil pattern or a high volume of oil, to have success with this ball. With the release of these new oils that play very tight and decrease the amount of traction newer cover stocks can create on today’s slick lane surfaces, the Hyroad solid will provide that lost traction you need to get the ball to roll towards and through the pocket the correct way. If you are looking for a lot of hook, then look to your local Storm VIP pro shop for a Hyroad solid.