Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New WBT Scoring System

Chats: 204

If it aint broke, then why….oh. Nevermind.

But yeah, I think it's stupid and yet another attempt to change bowling into something more popular that just serves to drive it's faithful away.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 891

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Two issues:

1) The shot that left the 3-6-10 was a bad shot. The shot that left the 7-10 was, most probably, a much better shot with some real bad luck. The better first shot is rewarded.

2) Noone is going to shoot a 300 on TV. Score is not the point. Winning is the point.
    yeah rob think of this because you seem to like to complain with everyone, the person that leaves a 7-10 split will only get a 8 or 9 count in that frame and possibly spare it but the person that gets the 3-6-10 can make the spare and can get up to a 20 count, so doing this where the 7-10 wins witch is very dumb.

you say no one is going to shoot a 300 on tv because with this there is no chance of it, and you say score is not the point, then how would you get more people into bowling because when they see a 300 shot on the tv they would more likely want to join rather then a dumb setup like this.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

The thing about this is how so many people are thinking they are talking about changing all of bowling as they know it.

This is just one tournament, that's not even a USBC or PBA tournament. It's just a WTBA tournament they are talking about.

Your not going to see this in regular leagues or tournaments, except maybe as a option format like a baker game etc.

If it shows up on Tv on the PBA, it will be a curiosity at first. Everyone will say "What the hell is that! That's not bowling" they'll do it a few weeks and they'll go back to regular bowling because of all the negative mail on it.

Like the Blue oil, a lot of hype leading up to it, then they show it a couple of times. Now nobody even mentions it, except maybe once in a "Blue Moon" if even that.

The main thing this might do is fuel a lot discussion.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 204

I agree with Bowl1820. This is yet another gimmicky thing that will not really change the sport.

The way I see it, automatic pinsetters…followed by computerized scoring…THOSE were the big changes that stuck. Everything else has been just minor background noise. Patterns, technology, wrist positioners….obviously changes have happened and we can al argue if it was good or bad or if it was major or minor. But the PBA has tried to make little tweaks for a LONG time…since bowling started to dip in terms of interest back in the 80s…and nothing has killed it and nothing has helped it.

If the World wants to go to this type of scoring…maybe in some countries it'll catch on and lead to more interest in bowling. I think the US is too attached to the records and the scoring to ever have this really make a big impact; positive or negative.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by striker12 View Post
    yeah rob think of this because you seem to like to complain with everyone,
    First everyone, just because some as a opposing view on what someone else has said. doesn't mean they are complaining about or attacking someone.

Remember
    "How to Write a Good Forum Post Rule #8: Always attack the argument, never the person.
    In a casual conversation, direct address and use of the word "you" when responding to posts is entirely reasonable. It is necessary, however, to be very careful when doing so. It is surprisingly common how often posters inadvertently sleight other posters when addressing them.

Always be careful when you directly address another poster that you avoid in any way attacking them or their character. If the poster is wrong, then prove that they are wrong by attacking their argument with good counterarguments. It keeps your post more succinct, on topic, and at a level of maturity that better transmits your message."

In this instance Striker, Rob wasn't complaining or attacking you personally. He just stated his thoughts on your post.

Now you saying that Rob likes to "complain with everyone" is not attacking the argument and should have been left off.

I don't want to see anything get started here, like happened over at bowlingintel.

the person that leaves a 7-10 split will only get a 8 or 9 count in that frame and possibly spare it but the person that gets the 3-6-10 can make the spare and can get up to a 20 count, so doing this where the 7-10 wins witch is very dumb.

you say no one is going to shoot a 300 on tv because with this there is no chance of it, and you say score is not the point, then how would you get more people into bowling because when they see a 300 shot on the tv they would more likely want to join rather then a dumb setup like this.
    Now your opinion stated here is fine, you think this alternate scoring system is dumb that's ok plenty of others have the same opinion.

This system is just being tested by the WTB in one tournament, that's not even a USBC or PBA tournament. It's not replacing how we bowl now and not likely too. It's not designed for replacing league bowling, it's just a alternate system for the stepladder part of that tournament.

Personally I think it would have been more interesting if they tried The Petraglia Scoring System which counts a player’s total number of shots rather than total pinfall. A bowler throws as many shots as it takes to knock down all 10 pins in a frame.

The scoring is similar to golf in that the lower your score, the better. A strike is one(1) point. A normal spare is two(2) points. In this system, the perfect score possible is 10, as there are no fill balls in the tenth frame.

The Petraglia Scoring System would still place emphasis on striking and spare making ability.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-23-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    First everyone, just because some as a opposing view on what someone else has said. doesn't mean they are complaining about or attacking someone.

Remember
    "How to Write a Good Forum Post Rule #8: Always attack the argument, never the person.
    In a casual conversation, direct address and use of the word "you" when responding to posts is entirely reasonable. It is necessary, however, to be very careful when doing so. It is surprisingly common how often posters inadvertently sleight other posters when addressing them.

Always be careful when you directly address another poster that you avoid in any way attacking them or their character. If the poster is wrong, then prove that they are wrong by attacking their argument with good counterarguments. It keeps your post more succinct, on topic, and at a level of maturity that better transmits your message."

In this instance Striker, Rob wasn't complaining or attacking you personally. He just stated his thoughts on your post.

Now you saying that Rob likes to "complain with everyone" is not attacking the argument and should have been left off.

I don't want to see anything get started here, like happened over at bowlingintel.

Now your opinion stated here is fine, you think this alternate scoring system is dumb that's ok plenty of others have the same opinion.

This system is just being tested by the WTB in one tournament, that's not even a USBC or PBA tournament. It's not replacing how we bowl now and not likely too. It's not designed for replacing league bowling, it's just a alternate system for the stepladder part of that tournament.

Personally I think it would have been more interesting if they tried The Petraglia Scoring System which counts a player’s total number of shots rather than total pinfall. A bowler throws as many shots as it takes to knock down all 10 pins in a frame.

The scoring is similar to golf in that the lower your score, the better. A strike is one(1) point. A normal spare is two(2) points. In this system, the perfect score possible is 10, as there are no fill balls in the tenth frame.

The Petraglia Scoring System would still place emphasis on striking and spare making ability.
    yes I bowl I understand what you are saying I was not attacking him, to sum it up here he started the thread with this it was never a question so people can make there opinion that's it, so why would rob have to come back and reply to my opinion about 2 issues from what I said that right there is complaining about what someone had to say, if he said that to me and the thread was on a question it would be different. "he is question what I said", but in a opinion you don't go and say 2 issues and make remarks about them, it under stand able the 7-10 split can be back puck or a bad shot the 3-6-10 is not classed has a bad shot it just grabbed alittle bit to much on the backend.

see right there what I just put there are opinion on it, you never go and tell someone on a opinion there are 2 issues with what that person posted, I also think putting the remark about not being able to threw a 300 on tv is actually a good one because before people join a league they see it on youtube or the tv.

as you said in a earlier post bowl with is only for the WTBA and not the PBA but bowl it was the PBA's decision to do this and they will probably use it in other events, we don't know we can only speculate.

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Wow,, so many closed minded bowlers!! I am open to any fun spin off! Your still throwing the ball down the lane and shooting for strikes, and spares??

I would expect closed mindedness form old farts like me? But young guys/gals???? It's not, nor was it conceived to take the place of the present method of keeping score Striker, and Aslan, its simply another way to enjoy an outing at the lanes!

kind of like making love? Variety is the spice of life!! Sorry Aslan for using the analogy making love! I know its been a while, but Ice is still looking for a good woman, you might find That love boat connection with!

I for one like it as an alternative scoring method, that I just might use on my next visit to the WOOD LANES of Plattsburg! Man they are tough!!

Most of you would not like bowing this Thursday night league with the Farm boys!

They change the oil EVERY WEEK, not only the length, but pattern. They did that heavier oil on the out side, lighter in the middle again this evening!

I never know what to expect, they make their minds up on oil pattern just before bowling every Thursday afternoon!!

I like the challenge!!! Change is a GOOD THING! Enjoy this new twist, I know I will!! Loosen up those hard heads, and just enjoy!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 10-24-2014 at 12:25 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

yes I bowl I understand what you are saying I was not attacking him, to sum it up here he started the thread with this it was never a question so people can make there opinion that's it, so why would rob have to come back and reply to my opinion about 2 issues from what I said that right there is complaining about what someone had to say, if he said that to me and the thread was on a question it would be different. "he is question what I said", but in a opinion you don't go and say 2 issues and make remarks about them, it under stand able the 7-10 split can be back puck or a bad shot the 3-6-10 is not classed has a bad shot it just grabbed alittle bit to much on the backend.

see right there what I just put there are opinion on it, you never go and tell someone on a opinion there are 2 issues with what that person posted,
    Striker just because a post isn't started with a question doesn't mean someone can't comment on your or any other persons posted comment/opinion about that post. Just because someone comments on yours or somebody elses post doesn't make it complaining about what someone said.

The forums are for open discussion and others have the right to comment or rebut on a post and If you don't want someone to comment on something you said then don't post anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Striker just because a post isn't started with a question doesn't mean someone can't comment on your or any other persons posted comment/opinion about that post. Just because someone comments on yours or somebody elses post doesn't make it complaining about what someone said.

The forums are for open discussion and others have the right to comment or rebut on a post and If you don't want someone to comment on something you said then don't post anything.
    I never said no one can comment on my post everything I put in the post happens all the time even on other threads, so why should I stop posting because someone had a problem with my post, all I did was say why dose he have to complain about a post its a dame opinion about someone new just like the blue oil everyone made a opinion about it just like you said earlier, why dose 1 person have to go right at my post when there are other peoples posts saying different thing but mine was a problem for him.

so explain to me why i should stop posting when all i did was make a opinion and then rob goes and complains about my post it seems like you and him don't like Canadians at all.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I never said no one can comment on my post everything I put in the post happens all the time even on other threads, so why should I stop posting because someone had a problem with my post, all I did was say why dose he have to complain about a post its a dame opinion.
    Why do you consider it a complaint? he just stated what his view was on what you said. Just like you making comments his post, doe's that make you a complainer too?

If anybody disagrees with one of your posts, doe's that make them complainers too? If not why is it just rob is considered a complainer?

about someone new just like the blue oil everyone made a opinion about it just like you said earlier, why dose 1 person have to go right at my post when there are other peoples posts saying different thing but mine was a problem for him.
    He did comment on someone else post. Amyers made comment and Rob commented on it. So you were not singled out.

so explain to me why i should stop posting when all i did was make a opinion and then rob goes and complains about my post
    Striker I'm just saying if all you want to see are just comments that only agree with what you say. It's not going to happen, somebody is going to have a differing opinion than you and if you can't handle them commenting on it . Then just don't post anything, otherwise you have to learn not to take everything as a personnel attack against you.

it seems like you and him don't like Canadians at all.
    As far as I'm concerned everyone here is a just bowler, I don't care if you are a Canadian or from Mars, so don't even try to play that card.

See this is a perfect example, you don't like what I said. So that means to you I hate Canadian's.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-24-2014 at 01:57 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast