Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New WBT Scoring System

Default New WBT Scoring System

The PBA has issued a press release describing a new scoring system, developed by the WBT (World Bowling Tour) that will be tested in the WBT stepladder finals that will be filmed subsequently to the WSOB. The system is described in the press release as follows:

The new system, which impacts how the sport is scored as well as the format for competition, will be unveiled during the WBT Finals. The singles match play competition will be conducted as follows:

1) A match will involve 12 frames.

2) In each frame, each player will throw one shot.

3) If Player A gets a higher pin count than Player B, he/she will win the frame.

4) If both players strike, the frame will be tied.

5) If neither player strikes, but each has the same pin count, each player will try to convert the spare. If both successfully convert their spares, the frame will be a tie. If one player has a higher pin count than the other after two shots, that player will win the frame.

6) Scoring for the match will reflect who has won the most frames (example, 1 up, 2 up, etc. All-square means the match is tied).

7) At the point one player has won more frames than frames remain (example: 3 up after 10 frames), he/she will be declared the winner.

8) If a match is “all-square” after 12 frames, the tie will be broken using the single-frame format described above until the tie is broken.

The new system emphasizes winning the frame, much like golf’s Ryder Cup places emphasis on winning a hole. This new system is expected to dramatically reduce the length of time and complexity of scoring required to complete a two-player match.

What do you all think?

Chats: 32

We have a perfectly adequate scoring system now and computers for the math challenged idiots who couldn't figure it out why do we need something new? Fix the real problems with bowling leave the scoring system that has been in place for the last 100 years or so alone.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

The idea is not to replace the existing system, but simply to introduce a new one for match play; a format the is rarely used in league bowling. I like the idea that it will get rid of the whole "I average 230, so I must be as good as the pros." Like the Ryder Cup in golf, it's just a different format, not meant to replace traditional medal play.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The idea is not to replace the existing system, but simply to introduce a new one for match play; a format the is rarely used in league bowling. I like the idea that it will get rid of the whole "I average 230, so I must be as good as the pros." Like the Ryder Cup in golf, it's just a different format, not meant to replace traditional medal play.
    That system significantly devalues spare shooting.

A frame by frame scoring system could be.

X vs X no points.
    X vs / one point
    X vs - two points.
    / vs / no points
    / vs - one point
    - vs - no points.

Chats: 1

Instill think its lame. That is all ha ha

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Wow,,, this is WEIRD!! Just this last Saturday at the Plattsburg Wood lanes I decided to try something different! Not as thought out as this new way, but we decide to only score strikes and spares, giving a strike 2 point, and a spare 1 point,,, winner was the one with the most points!

It was something different! Ok to be honest the wood was REAL TOUGH after being played on that day, (kids party rented the alley).

So to not get discouraged, Ice came up with X's, and /spares. A perfect score would be 24!

This new scoring could be fun for a change, but not something I would want for a serious sanctioned league. Maybe this would appeal to the relational bowlers, and get more into the bowling establishments.

I might bowl a non sanctioned league with this scoring just for the fun of it!

EASY TO UNDERSTAND for the novice non league bowler! This might help the game, not the sport, but is that such a bad thing??

Hope it brings more back to the lanes!!! (

I Like This new option,,, could be fun! Like your golf analogy, many ways to play that game, why not bowling!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 10-23-2014 at 02:09 PM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 891

this new score system is kinda dumb heres a example for you, say me and mike Fagan where bowler and it was with this new system I could go and leave a 7-10 split and mike Fagan leaves up the 3-6-10, I win because we don't have to throw down any spare shots.

and another thing how is anyone else going to throw a 300 on a tv if they use this system
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Edit: my bad, I totally read the rules wrong the first time.

If you think about it this isn't a whole lot different than what happens in a sudden death playoff after a tie.

I'm kinda mixed about this. It'll definitely speed up the matches and probably make for more intuitive watching for a casual viewer to understand. And, let's be honest the PBA needs to do SOMETHING to stay relevant in any way. However I would not want this format to make it to any type of local thing (tournament, qualifying, leagues, etc) that would impact the traditional game scoring.
    Last edited by mc_runner; 10-23-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Chats: 204

We fear change.

In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by striker12 View Post
    this new score system is kinda dumb heres a example for you, say me and mike Fagan where bowler and it was with this new system I could go and leave a 7-10 split and mike Fagan leaves up the 3-6-10, I win because we don't have to throw down any spare shots.

and another thing how is anyone else going to throw a 300 on a tv if they use this system
    Two issues:

1) The shot that left the 3-6-10 was a bad shot. The shot that left the 7-10 was, most probably, a much better shot with some real bad luck. The better first shot is rewarded.

2) Noone is going to shoot a 300 on TV. Score is not the point. Winning is the point.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast