Thread: BALANCE HOLE issue...

Default BALANCE HOLE issue...

Ok, I have a ball with a very high Differential. This makes for more track flare potential. Ball was drilled pin up to go long and snap. Problem is, this ball hardly broke for me. Almost no break even through the pin deck. Now the local pro shop guy watched me throw and took my ball and said, this ball needs to react sooner for your style. He replugged the Balance hole from the P4 position (bottom near thumb) and put the new hole in the P1 position (high near fingers). He said this was like turning a light switch "on", again for ME. Man was he right, totally different ball for me now. Ball hits harder than any ball I've owned before and the thing most noticeable is how controllable this is for me now. I had no idea changing the balance hole could change a balls motion so dramatically! It's unbelievably controllable...again for how I throw.

I understand the whole balance hole thing and what is does to a ball. In fact, here is the chart of how a balance hole effects the ball
    (some already know this I'm sure):
    P1 -20% differential
    P2 No change
    P3 +20% differential
    P4 +40% differential

So here's the deal...I have a high differential ball (0.60) that will not break for me soon enough. I get the balance hole changed so it can start up sooner...and it works great! Am I defeating the purpose of getting a high Diff ball if I'm essentially taming it down 20%?? I do own a few other balls with lower RG and Diff. Those balls do not give me the length that I want and am definitely not as successful (accurate) with them. Besides the old, "Hey it works, just stick with it", I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom or advice?
    Last edited by bubba809; 10-24-2014 at 10:05 AM.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Based on your description, the ball didn't need to react sooner, it was reacting too soon.

It would have hooked more, except the oil pattern was holding the ball back.

Optimally the hook phase will begin before the end of the oil pattern, and extend until shortly before contacting the pins.

It sounds like all of your hook phase occurred before the end of the pattern,

By weakening the ball the hook phase was delayed which extended it past the oil.

What tool(s) did the PSO use to identify where the P4 and P1 hole was to be located?

I'm not sure what tool the pro shop used Mike, but I thought you were gonna say for sure it's how I specifically throw the ball. I actually have a slight loft which I've been told generates my revs more. That's why am not as accurate with lower RG balls, it hooks to soon. Like I said, the ball did nothing for me (damn near straight) before the balance hole was moved.

Oh here's an interesting tidbit...my Optimus has the balance hole in the same location but drilled more aggressive. I've tried many surface changes and it still hits weaker. I'm thinking pin up with a high balance hole may fit my style. And I know, post a video, it will help you see exactly what I'm doing.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Ultimately it does come down to how you throw the ball, but since I haven't seen how you throw it, I can't comment.

One thing you need to separate is slight loft itself doesn't generate more revs.

Personally I have very high revs, with just about as much negative loft as possible. (0 loft would be silent)

The method of achieving higher revs can as a side effect cause loft.

But on the flip side, the method of achieving loft can kill revs.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    One thing you need to separate is slight loft itself doesn't generate more revs....The method of achieving higher revs can as a side effect cause loft.

But on the flip side, the method of achieving loft can kill revs.
    I was going to comment but then read that you essentially explained it.

Lofting "can" create revs because it means you're leaving your hand in the ball longer; applying a great deal of upward pressure up the side of the ball. A person that can't grasp getting behind the ball, as I struggle with, will struggle to get revs without lofting it.

BUT...as Mike sort of explained...THAT method of of generating revs is the older style and generally most experts would agree NOT the preferred method of generating revs. I think, just as a theory from my own experience, that method has multiple drawbacks:

1) It's harder to be accurate when "tossing" vs. "rolling".
    2) Harder to be consistent when "tossing" vs. "rolling".
    3) Balls tend to hook on their own, to some extent, nowadays.
    4) While generating a lot of revs...the ball making a violent thud onto the lane may tend to counter-balance the revs.
    5) The whole process 'may' cause a lesser predictability and consistency in when and where the ball hooks.

Now the counter-arguement...is that lofting and coming up the side of the ball is done by thumbless bowlers and many of them are pretty good. Also, the violent thud and 'adding revs' is 98% of the game for the 2-handed wave of the future....so it can't be ALL bad.

But yeah...just wanted to ramble...

Chats: 221

As ike mentiones the ball was most likely hooking too soon. A P1 hole will reduce the flare which will help delay the hook phase and in your case creat more back end reaction. Out of curiosity what ball was it? In the case of your Optimus you may need a stronger weight hole position to give you more continuation However without seeing your ball reaction and layout this would be just a guess