Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: General Reason Why Bowlers (some) Deserve the Decline...

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Absolutely agree, except, houses typically give 1 pair buffer during leagues. Every house I have bowled in does this.

For practice time, I could care less if they run up on the lane while I am in my stance and then approach. Concentration and getting used to distractions is all a benefit to a bowler. I have seen people get upset about the snack bar calling an order number to tell it's ready over the speakers, but they never complain about the general noise of balls hitting the pocket which is actually louder than the snack bar intercom anyway. Just another excuse for a bad shot is the way I see it.

Also, it's usually old farts that I see that get all bent out of shape with distractions especially during open bowling.
    SOME WHAT of a HUGE generalization!!! Are you calling ICEMAN an OLD FART??? Does that mean when YOU get Old, (if you live long enough) YOU will be a FART TOO)!

Chose your Words carefully,,, and your generalizations even more carefully!

Being a FART has little to do with age, but rather disposition of the stinker!!! LOL
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    SOME WHAT of a HUGE generalization!!! Are you calling ICEMAN an OLD FART??? Does that mean when YOU get Old, (if you live long enough) YOU will be a FART TOO)!

Chose your Words carefully,,, and your generalizations even more carefully!

Being a FART has little to do with age, but rather disposition of the stinker!!! LOL
    I most certainly will be an OLD FART when I get older.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Lane courtesy in league likely should be established at the league meeting prior to the first week of competition.....this would establish rules everyone needs to follow to keep things moving smoothly....there is no need to give three lanes courtesy for any league - one lane courtesy is plenty....slow pace of play is one reason bowlers opt out of five man teams because it takes too long to finish....next time you choose a league, try and encourage the league officers to designate specific lane courtesy rules before the league begins for everyone to follow as well as any other general rules which would help the league players....just my opinion....thanks

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    I most certainly will be an OLD FART when I get older.
    MOST Stinker's, wind up Old Farts if they live long enough! LOL
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Lane courtesy in league likely should be established at the league meeting prior to the first week of competition.....this would establish rules everyone needs to follow to keep things moving smoothly....there is no need to give three lanes courtesy for any league - one lane courtesy is plenty....slow pace of play is one reason bowlers opt out of five man teams because it takes too long to finish....next time you choose a league, try and encourage the league officers to designate specific lane courtesy rules before the league begins for everyone to follow as well as any other general rules which would help the league players....just my opinion....thanks
    I believe what is being addressed here is for situations in "open bowling" where the league has no control over. NOT talking about within the league rules.

I went bowling on Saturday and had a rather pleasant experience. Initially I had a lane to myself. After a game or so a couple with two young girls occupied the lane that shared the computer/scoring equipment. It couldn't have been a better experience. The father clearly played on a league and taught his girls to wait their turn. The were very respectful and well-behaved little girls.

My point is this; as bowlers, our etiquette doesn't go out the window just because we have our kids there. Our job is to teach our kids bowling etiquette just like teaching them to say "please" and "thank you." Too many people have the attitude that their kids' entertainment and enjoyment trumps the rest of the civilized world. I'm not suggest that is the case here but too often is it. Bowling etiquette isn't just for league bowlers; it's for everybody.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by axslinger View Post
    I went bowling on Saturday and had a rather pleasant experience. Initially I had a lane to myself. After a game or so a couple with two young girls occupied the lane that shared the computer/scoring equipment. It couldn't have been a better experience. The father clearly played on a league and taught his girls to wait their turn. The were very respectful and well-behaved little girls.

My point is this; as bowlers, our etiquette doesn't go out the window just because we have our kids there. Our job is to teach our kids bowling etiquette just like teaching them to say "please" and "thank you." Too many people have the attitude that their kids' entertainment and enjoyment trumps the rest of the civilized world. I'm not suggest that is the case here but too often is it. Bowling etiquette isn't just for league bowlers; it's for everybody.
    Agreed...but whether it's league or open...if you have an expectation of children that isn't being met...you address it calmly, nicely, and politely to the SIDE with their parent/guardian. You don't ever want to tell someone's kid how to behave or not to behave if their parent is right there. And you certainly don't risk scaring the kid off from bowling by yelling and carrying on about lane etiquette.

I think parents understand...but those that aren't parents...you have to be careful disciplining other people's kids. Parent's not only get defensive when you do this (because in a way it's a referendum on their parenting skills) but they will have a natural tendency to defend their kids EVEN IF they actually AGREE with you.

The guy in my example could have easily come over to me and calmly asked if I could help him out by explaining the "taking turns" stuff and I would have had ZERO issue with that. And if I was there as a coach, especially at the youth level, I would certainly talk about lane courtesy during one of the first sessions. But I was there as a parent, during open bowling on a Saturday...and was just giving 'pointers' to the girls to hopefully allow them to score better and enjoy the sport more.

This came up earlier this year at a USBC Sanctioned, USBC tournament. There were some newer, youth bowlers...bowling in the youth divisions...and they were located right next to the adults...and a couple of them didn't know about lane courtesy. So, one adult bowler went and told the USBC officials...the official went over and talked to the youth bowlers...and it was all taken care of, no harm no foul. Thats how it SHOULD be handled. On the flipside, during league play last spring...there was no cushion between league and open bowling...and there was almost a fist fight between a family that was there with their 3-5 kids and this team that had gotten pissed and yelled at them. Again...there are calm, polite ways to act...and then there are ways that lead to greater problems.

I get as irritated as PDW at a camera flash convention when I'm in my stance and some college guy runs up next to me and slams the ball onto the lane just as I'm about to release my ball. But...it's OPEN bowling...I assume it's not done on purpose...and I just alter my approach accordingly by only bowling when he's waiting for his ball or the pinsetter is up. And if I DID...IF I did decide to say something...I would do it politely and in a submissive way so not to make the situation worse.

And thats pretty much why I'm NOT a PDW fan. I just think going after fans when you make a bad shot...it's rediculous. During this year's WSOB I saw both him and Mike Fagan act that way. They miss a shot and start glaring at the other end of the facility because there was a noise or something. Hey...welcome to bowling. There are noises. Be a pro and bowl through it or retire and take your motor home to a National Forest where it's not noisy. Now...if a person is intentionally doing it...like Belmo and his water bottles...then I'd give them a pass (like I do with Sean Rash even though I think he's kind've an arrogant SOB).
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

One time I was getting some lunchtime practice in at a smaller center, had the whole house to me self. I got up, pulled out a mirror and starting getting rude at myself for lane courtesy. I says to myself, I says "Every time I get up to throw you do also, wait your turn!"

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Big Merl View Post
    One time I was getting some lunchtime practice in at a smaller center, had the whole house to me self. I got up, pulled out a mirror and starting getting rude at myself for lane courtesy. I says to myself, I says "Every time I get up to throw you do also, wait your turn!"
    Well, when you're by yourself...and the lane conditions aren't bad...you have to have SOMEBODY to blame for missed shots. That would drive PDW crazy to bowl by himself...he'd have nobody to glare at when he missed.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I have had this issue before during open bowling. There were some young kids next to us and they tended to drift into our approach when they were done with their shot. They would just throw one ball after another. We would get in one shot for every five or six they would throw. We politely asked their Dad if he would mind making sure they didn't cross over into our approach because we didn't want a collision. The guy unloaded on us and basically said he was there with his family to have a good time and for us to mind our own business. Then he said something rude to my Mom at which point the whole thing degraded into a verbal war between us. All we asked was for him to make sure his kids stayed on their side and the guy started yelling at us in front of his kids. The bowling alley finally had to intervene and reassign everyone to lanes on opposite ends of the center.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast