Thread: long pin or short pin?

Default long pin or short pin?

I was looking at specs on a new bowling ball. What is the difference in ball reaction in a ball with a short pin length vs a long pin length? Does it have any effect on ball tracking?

Chats: 4

If you are talking about the pin distance say 0-1'" pin
    vs. a 3-4" pin distance than the longer the pin distance
    is the more drilling options you will have.

A very short pin distance will really limit your ball drilling
    options I always get at least a 3-4" pin on any ball I plan
    to purchase whether at the pro shop on buying online I'll
    always specify that I want the longer pin.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Chats: 221

As mentioned above shorter pins will basically limit your drilling options based on the op weight of the ball. Longer pins also allow for more options on balance hole placement ie p3 or p4 holes

Quote Originally Posted by goneal32 View Post
    I was looking at specs on a new bowling ball. What is the difference in ball reaction in a ball with a short pin length vs a long pin length? Does it have any effect on ball tracking?
    Got a 300 is correct with his answer. When you get your new ball really take some time with your driller on the pin position though. After selecting the strength and surface you want the pin position you decide on is very important.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    Got a 300 is correct with his answer. When you get your new ball really take some time with your driller on the pin position though. After selecting the strength and surface you want the pin position you decide on is very important.
    You should decide on where you want the pin, and a potential balance hole before ordering the ball.

You mark up any blank ball, decide the pin location, and where you would like the CG to be (to allow for the balance hole location if wanted) Then measure the distance from the Pin to the proposed CG location, and order a ball with that Pin to CG distance.

I guess I see things different than others, because the distributor I get balls from is right here in town, so I don't keep much inventory on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    You should decide on where you want the pin, and a potential balance hole before ordering the ball.

You mark up any blank ball, decide the pin location, and where you would like the CG to be (to allow for the balance hole location if wanted) Then measure the distance from the Pin to the proposed CG location, and order a ball with that Pin to CG distance.

I guess I see things different than others, because the distributor I get balls from is right here in town, so I don't keep much inventory on hand.
    I agree and i always have an idea of the drilling before ordering. Got a 300 just mentioned a 3-4 pin which is safe for someone to have options.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    I agree and i always have an idea of the drilling before ordering. Got a 300 just mentioned a 3-4 pin which is safe for someone to have options.
    3-4" pin tends not to be good for pin down drillings

Alright.