Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh oh…we're talking wrist supports/braces/devices again!!!

Chats: 204

Post Uh oh…we're talking wrist supports/braces/devices again!!!

Okay…

When I first started…bowling…I had lots of crazy ideas. No need for agreement on that.

One of the things I initially agreed with Iceman on…was that wrist devices were sort of like "cheating". Now, we aren't the only ones that held that opinion. In "Bowling This Month", Bill Hall made a rather shocking comment that it's because of wrist devices (and other things) that makes bowling NOT an Olympic sport. And, not only do I appreciate his bravery in that statement…but I see where he's coming from and kinda agree. Olympic sports need to be almost entirely about the athlete…not the equipment. This was a hot topic for speed cyclists and olympic swimmers when the US teams were criticized for the technologically advanced suits they were wearing.

Others who dislike them, I disagree with. For example, I think Bill Hall also said, virtually NO pro bowlers wear them. Well, thats true…but 20-30 years ago…nearly EVERY bowler wore them. Bowlers that don't today…DID then. My feeling is, they became less necessary as bowling ball technology increased. I also think new bowlers developed very dynamic, snappy wrists (like E.J. Tackett) where wrist devices would be a hindrance.

Now, for ME….I originally was against the idea of them. Then I took my first lesson from the great and talented Rob M. and he suggested I get some big Mongoose thing. Well, I met him halfway and bought a Wristmaster II. It was old school and less cumbersome. And hopefully it would help solve the problem I was having which was "breaking" my wrist backwards as I swing the ball. For me, it was "natural" to bend my wrist back as I began to release the ball. That is giant rev killer…and I NEED revs.

Well, I've used the Wristmaster II for quite some time and finally after about 1 season of use, I started bowling without it. I think I've trained my wrist not to break and I don't really need it anymore. But one thing I decided I would try is something a bit more. I found an adjustable wrist device on the internet for a reasonable price and decided to give it a try. I've watched some videos, bowlversity and talk bowling as well as reading the article on BTM and I think the plan of action is to use it in practice…as a training aide. My hope is that over time my wrist gets "used to" the forward cupping position and then it's just natural. I'm going to try not to use it in competition.

1) I still am not comfortable with the idea of it. I still think it's sort of "cheating"…even if it's legal.
    2) I don't want to get "dependent" on it.

Anyone else have experience using these kinds of devices that have success/failure stories? Suggestions? Warnings? Thx.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

I have a mongoose, they make a few models! One thing that Aslan brought up that is exactly TRUE, is that it can be used as a training devise! It works! I know several bowlers who started out using a mongoose, and then put it away after a period of time. They didn't need it, but it did take them to a higher level, and helped train them not to break open their wrist with delivering the ball. If the USBC says they are legal, then that's the law!

There is a reason why the pro's now days don't wear them, and Aslan touched on that subject! The other reason is only girly guys need them, now days with the new ball technology!! Instead of getting a wrist device, buy a gym membership and build that wrist up!!

If your not a girly type, but DO have a weak wrist due to injury, or illness, like RA ect... they can help! Of all the Weird ones out there I think the MOST comfortable one is the Mongoose! The memory foam on the back is very comfortable, and adjusts to your hand/wrist!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 11-01-2014 at 10:41 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 506

or you can work out your wrist i never used one and have been able to adjust my rev rate also that a wrist device can change your span on your balls somthing else to think about is getting all your balls pluged and redrilled
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Cranker
    Chats: 0

A ball with a proper fit will really negate the necessity for a wrist support unless you've had some crazy injury.

Cranker

Moreover, I'd bet that many people feel they need a wrist support because their ball doesn't fit properly.

I use a Mongoose most of the time when I bowl. I don't have any crazy wrist injury, and my balls are all drilled exactly the same after I was fitted and tweaked just a year ago. One of the benefits that I find in using a wrist brace is that my armswing can stay more muscle-free when I am not trying to keep a firm wrist using the muscles in my arm. I think that using or not using a wrist brace is a personal decision based on the physical condition, age, and mentality of the bowler. The only negative that I see in their use is that they can limit a bowlers release options. This is the reason that I take mine off sometimes when I need to use one of those options on a particular lane condition.

Cranker

Maybe I don't understand then. I used a brace for a long time and have no "problem" with anyone using one, and will often pull a Robby's or a mongoose out of my bag and lend it to someone attempting to learn to throw a fingertip ball for the first time.

I guess it's just muscle memory for me now, and my wrist holds properly? Either way, bowling is about having fun and seein improvement helps that. So the Olympic bowling argument ... Not so much for me, I just like to see people enjoy the game and stick to it.

If we're going to say that the sport of bowling is about the bowler and not about the equipment then shouldn't we all be using the same ball? I mean, let's have a reference ball that everybody has to use. When we play baseball, we don't get to choose different balls when we're up to bat.

If a wrist support is "cheating" then so is using a ball that has crazy hooking ability over a reference, like an old rubber ball.

That being said, I use a Brunswick Air Command because I have weak wrists. If I don't use it, my wrist hurts like hell after 3 or 4 games. I view it the same way I would view a knee brace for somebody with a weak knee. Just my 2 cents.

Chats: 204

I think for bowling to be an Olympic sport...the best option would be no wrist devices and urethane balls with specific cores.

I'm going to "try" the wrist device...hopefully tonight...so see how it goes. If I have to change spans...then forget it.

I agree with DHoff (thats a rare statement) that a lot of ball/release problems are due to fit. But looking at video of me specifically...I can see where the wrist is in a weak position. I've tried to train myself to combat this by throwing lower weight balls thumbless...but even the 7lbers will make my wrist hurt after 3-4 frames. I've always had big hands but small wrists. "working out" isn't going to change that. It's not a matter of arm strength or shoulder strength. The wrist doesn't have a ton of muscle in it that can be worked out. Lots of muscles in the hand and forearm...but the wrist is a lof of veins. arteries, tendons, ligaments, and nerves. The muscle involved in cupping a bowling ball is actually in the forearm.

We'll see how it goes. My goal in practicing with it is to train my wrist/hand to be in a certain position and maintain that position as I release the ball. If I can do that consistently...then I probably won't need the brace anymore. And like I said, I don't plan on using it in league play. I think of it as purely a training tool. And I think it'll help me get my thumb out cleaner because the brace tends to help support the ball in the swing so I won't be as worried about dropping it...and thus won't "pinch" with my thumb.

Cranker

Helped a buddy who is a golf pro learn the modern release yesterday.

He couldn't get the wrist flick/finger pinch at the foul line release.

I gave him the mongoose.

He immediately got it.

He says "is this legal to use in league?" "Man, this would be so illegal in golf"

I thought of this thread and laughed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast