Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Same drilling layouts on multiple balls

Default Same drilling layouts on multiple balls

Lately I've been seeing a lot of bowlers and even pros like dick allen saying he has the same drilling on different balls. Would this be advisable? Doesn't this in some way limit yourself on the multiple reactions you could be getting?

All the layout does is to position the core within the ball. When you use the same layout on multiple balls, you can get a very accurate read on the differences based on the differences between the balls without muddying the waters by using different layouts. If you want a ball that goes long and snaps, don't buy a ball that hooks early and arcs and try to drill it to go long and snap. I interviewed Tony Reyes a few years ago, and he told me that he had over 30 balls on the truck, and all had one of only three pin positions.

but wouldnt having similar pin positions limit you on the different patterns. Long vs short patterns, flat vs forgiving? Wouldnt you need multiple pin positions to give you a more versatile look?

If you have 30 balls you can control your variations by coverstock and surface prep.

Look at it this way,
    We pick a ball and drill it for a situation since we have limited options from a ball perspective.

The pro can pick a drilling they like and put it on a ball to meet the situation since they are not limited in that manner.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Most all of the balls I have had with some minor variations essentially use the same layout. I haven't really ever felt it limited me, I've tried once in a while having a radically different layout. To see if it gave me something different, but I wound up going back to my typical layouts.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 11-03-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    but wouldnt having similar pin positions limit you on the different patterns. Long vs short patterns, flat vs forgiving? Wouldnt you need multiple pin positions to give you a more versatile look?
    No, you'd need multiple balls to give you a more versatile look. Personally, as Bowl1820 says, other than layouts for particular unusual situations, I find two or three are plenty. I use two pin up layouts, and one neutral pin layout. The only time I drill something pin down is when I need it to go extremely long.

Chats: 204

I don't think different layouts do nearly as much as peple tend to think.

Sure, if you're Pete Weber...or Sean Rash...maybe a Virtual Gravity pin up does something noticeable versus pin down. But I've yet to see any data that suggests pin position and/or layout have a noticeable impact on how well the average bowler scores. Surface? Cover stock? Absolutely. But I don't think the USBC has yet published anything using their robot where it threw multiple pin positions and say a difference.

I leave it up to the ball driller. They ask me a couple questions...look at what I'm already using...and then drill it to comfortably fit my hand. The only time pin position has ever even came up was in terms of whether or not the ball needed a balance hole or not and where to put it based on pin length.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

There was a study done by Mo Rich if I remember correctly.
    Same ball Same coverstock with different Drills on it. it altered the Transition points on the lane. Skid to Hook and Hook to roll as well as the length of the transitions.

I will see if I can find it again... Hopefully the didn't take it down.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

Quote Originally Posted by Perrin View Post
    There was a study done by Mo Rich if I remember correctly.
    Same ball Same coverstock with different Drills on it. it altered the Transition points on the lane. Skid to Hook and Hook to roll as well as the length of the transitions.

I will see if I can find it again... Hopefully the didn't take it down.
    i figured this is kind of similar to what I was thinking based on the transition timing. If everything I drilled was pin up and needed things that needed to start either earlier or later, wouldnt that be important enough for more drilling in your arsenal

Found it. Page 54 through 56 of this PDF from BowlingChat.net.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/ima...ls_Seminar.pdf

all rights to Mo and all that legal stuff
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast