Thread: WSOB Interesting Facts

Chats: 256

Default WSOB Interesting Facts

Some interesting information about the scoring at the WSOB.

WSOB Delivers Historically Consistent Scoring

The scoring pace for the traditional PBA "animal pattern" tournaments and the PBA World Championship during GEICO PBA World Series of Bowling VI remained within historic average highs and lows for the four previous World Series held at South Point Bowling Center in Las Vegas.

Here's a summary of scoring averages over the years:

* Cheetah Championship: No. 1 qualifiers have averaged between a high of 254.28 and a low of 251.66. The 2014 high qualifier (Dick Allen of Columbia, S.C.) averaged 252.71 for seven games. The average range to qualify 24th over the span of years has been a high of 240.25 and a low of 234.83. This year, the average for 24th place was 237.71.

* Viper Championship: No. 1 qualifier range has been from a high of 254.87 to a low of 234.12. This year's top qualifier (B.J. Moore III of Apex, N.C.) averaged 234.57. The 24th place average range has been between a high of 228.87 and a low of 217.75 (this year: 221.57).

* Chameleon Championship: No. 1 qualifier range has been from a high of 246.85 to a low of 234.08. This year's top qualifier (D.J. Archer of Friendswood, Texas) averaged 242.29. The 24th place average range has been between a high of 227.00 and a low of 218.33 (this year: 222.43)

* Scorpion Championship: No. 1 qualifier range has been from a high of 243.14 to a low of 221.08. This year's top qualifier (B.J. Moore III) averaged 241. The 24th place average range has been between a high of 226.87 and a low of 221.08 (this year: 224).

* PBA World Championship (composite averages of all four animal patterns): No. 1 qualifier range has been from a high of 243.03 to a low of 226.76. This year's top qualifier (defending champion Dom Barrett) averaged 229.64 vs. the 236.67 he averaged as top qualifier a year earlier. The 24th place average range has been between a high of 225.78 and a low of 219.50 (this year: 221.85).
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 204

That's encouraging.

Wouldn't want to see it keep going up and up.

Chats: 0

I wish I could have watched some of that in person. I like watching the pros during qualifying. So much more action! The amount of strikes thrown is amazing to watch. Almost all spares are single pins, except for the massive splits left by crankers that missed their mark.

I'm really looking forward to the TV shows. I went to the Cheetah Championship filming. I won't spoil it for you, but how many of you would have thought that you would see a four count where the strike ball, thrown by a pro, hit the headpin?

Chats: 204

I'm rooting for Liz on the Cheetah!

I watched almost all of the qualifying and while most of my favorites didn't make the cut…most of the finals matches I have at least someone I don't mind cheering for. Liz made it…I know Mika made one. So I'll have a couple people to cheer for. And I'm really looking forward to the PBA Challenge Finals because both Missy and WRW are in that one…so that should be cool.

I got no horses in the race for the other two animal patterns though. Just cheer for anyone but Rash on the one…and flip a coin for the other.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I'm really looking forward to the TV shows. I went to the Cheetah Championship filming. I won't spoil it for you, but how many of you would have thought that you would see a four count where the strike ball, thrown by a pro, hit the headpin?
    Haven't seen anything, but in todays environment, a 4 count isn't unheard of.

3-4-6-7-9-10.

I believe last year, or the year before, Belmonte even managed to pick it up.

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Not so surprising.

I picked the 3-4-6-7-9-10 up this past week.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up