Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids and bowling

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Kids and bowling

I have two grandsons that are 6 years old, twins! They go bowing with their Dad once in a blue moon with the bumpers up! Question: what is the best age to get a child started in bowing on leagues. They enjoy bowing, but really can't throw the ball correctly yet. Is there an average age for league bowing and kids?
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

There are a few dads in my youth league teaching their little boys how to bowl, they can't be older than 5-6. I think around there is a good time. They probably don't need their own ball right away since their hands are so small.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bradski9 View Post
    There are a few dads in my youth league teaching their little boys how to bowl, they can't be older than 5-6. I think around there is a good time. They probably don't need their own ball right away since their hands are so small.
    good point about their hands! It will be fun getting them bowling equipment, as get older, and can be fitted with bowling balls, and equipment!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 4

Yes I believe around 6 to 7 years old or even younger
    is the perfect age to get kids interested in bowling.

I have seen kids as young as 3 or 4 years old in our
    center bowling with their parents and bowling pretty
    good too.

i
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    I have two grandsons that are 6 years old, twins! They go bowing with their Dad once in a blue moon with the bumpers up! Question: what is the best age to get a child started in bowing on leagues. They enjoy bowing, but really can't throw the ball correctly yet. Is there an average age for league bowing and kids?
    It really depends on the child. Our youth league has three divisions: Bumper, where we've had kids as young as 2 years old, Pre-teen, and Teen. For the bumper bowlers, the main goals for the coaches are to let the kids have fun, and learn to bowl safely. If a three year old is having fun seeing how many times they can bounce the ball off the bumpers, we let them. We do teach them to pick the ball up with two hands, to watch out for balls coming back, to not stick their hands into the ball return, to wait for their turn to bowl, etc. Some of the kids stop using the bumpers before moving up to the next division. The other thing about the bumper division is that it's broken up into 8 week sections, no need to commit a kid to a whole season if they find they don't like it.

There are three questions that need to be answered in the case of any child and league bowling:

Are they physically ready for rolling a 6 pound ball 70 times in the course of a few hours?

Are they mentally and emotionally ready for bowling on a team?

Do they ( not their parents or grandparents )want to bowl every week?
    John

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    It really depends on the child. Our youth league has three divisions: Bumper, where we've had kids as young as 2 years old, Pre-teen, and Teen. For the bumper bowlers, the main goals for the coaches are to let the kids have fun, and learn to bowl safely. If a three year old is having fun seeing how many times they can bounce the ball off the bumpers, we let them. We do teach them to pick the ball up with two hands, to watch out for balls coming back, to not stick their hands into the ball return, to wait for their turn to bowl, etc. Some of the kids stop using the bumpers before moving up to the next division. The other thing about the bumper division is that it's broken up into 8 week sections, no need to commit a kid to a whole season if they find they don't like it.

There are three questions that need to be answered in the case of any child and league bowling:

Are they physically ready for rolling a 6 pound ball 70 times in the course of a few hours?

Are they mentally and emotionally ready for bowling on a team?

Do they ( not their parents or grandparents )want to bowl every week?
    very good points! I know they love to bowl....I am not sure they are quit strong enough to bowl 70 times yet, but I have a feeling they will be by this time next year! They are going to be BIG,,, both mom and day are very tall! They don't like using bumpers,,, I found that out! Hard headed like ICE!! LOL
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

My girls started bowling at 5 and 9
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Perrin View Post
    My girls started bowling at 5 and 9
    Post some pictures of them bowling.... might inspire my grandsons!! I will take some pictures of them next time out! Great that you bowl with your daughters!!!! It's going to be fun watching my twin grandsons and now grand daughter Emma, grow up! I hope to make bowling a part of their lives!! A fun part!!! Guess what their Christmas/Birthday gifts will be!!??
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 0

I was 9 when in my first league. Used a 9 pound house ball and house shoes. When I turned 10 I got my first ball, a 10 pounder. I was old enough at 9 for no bumpers ( they didn't exist anyways ). I don't know what the ages are for kids' leagues now since they have bumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by foreverincamo View Post
    I was 9 when in my first league. Used a 9 pound house ball and house shoes. When I turned 10 I got my first ball, a 10 pounder. I was old enough at 9 for no bumpers ( they didn't exist anyways ). I don't know what the ages are for kids' leagues now since they have bumpers.
    around here Bumpers are generally 3-5/6 then up to the youth league. Then 11-13 they go to a second youth league. The second league actually uses a prize fund similar to normal adult leagues but the prizes are scholarship money. it's a phased approach that seems to work well. and there are enough coaches that they are able to focus on different things in each level.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast