Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kids and bowling

Correct answer: as soon as they are born. If we don't breed the next generation the almighty sport of bowling and all related IceGods will disappear wiped from the face of existence not even a foot note in the annals of history. So if you are having a kid remember - as soon as the kid is born skip the nursery and all that hocus pocus doctor check up garbage and take them straight from the birth canal to the bowling alley. If they leave a 10 pin - take them back and trade them in because they are right handed, if they leave a ringing 7 pin you are golden.

My daughter is 3 and I started taking her when she was 2. Just put the ramp up (no bumpers) and she has a blast picking the ball up and rolling it down the ramp.

My son is 9 months... so he has already been fitted for his Bad A**.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
    Correct answer: as soon as they are born. If we don't breed the next generation the almighty sport of bowling and all related IceGods will disappear wiped from the face of existence not even a foot note in the annals of history. So if you are having a kid remember - as soon as the kid is born skip the nursery and all that hocus pocus doctor check up garbage and take them straight from the birth canal to the bowling alley. If they leave a 10 pin - take them back and trade them in because they are right handed, if they leave a ringing 7 pin you are golden.
    Now... If we could just figure out a way to get them to bowl in utero...

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
    You do have to watch that you don't get the umbilical cord caught in the ball return...

IMO, whatever age they are coordinated enough and safety conscious enough not to hurt themselves or others (get their fingers crushed by other balls in the return, etc). Also, they must be able to lose without pitching a fit. My daughter was banned for the latter until she was a teenager because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by rv driver View Post
    You do have to watch that you don't get the umbilical cord caught in the ball return...
    Good point, that's why I always carry a pocket knife

My son is 6 now and is bowling in a youth league. He started when was 3 running and throwing the ball with two hands down the lane and just loving the destruction of the pins like a typical boy. When he was still 5 he did the last two weeks of a bumper league and he learned to throw the 6 lb ball with one hand by running and dropping it. (IE his "plant foot"was his right foot with the ball in his right hand.. there was no slide) Before you knew it he was playing without bumpers. Still playing with house balls he broke 150 a couple of weeks before his 6th birthday using a correct 4 step approach. Got a 158 on his 6th birthday and a 179 the following week with his new 8lb ball.
    He's still 6 and is now throwing a 10 lb ball... This past Sunday he recorded his new High of 189. (previous was 188). He's also big for his age, but the moral of the story is to keep them challenged if they like it. Don't set limits on them.. let them decide when they can't do something.
    Last edited by bobforsaken; 12-26-2014 at 07:34 PM.

I know this is kind of an old post but it really depends on the youth volunteers in the league. For our youth league here the only requirement is that they can get the ball all the way down the lane without bumpers. Doesn't mean they have to every shot it just means they have to be able to get the ball from the foul line to the pin deck without someone having to go retrieve the ball halfway down the lane. We have 3 groups that bowl in our youth program ... Teens/200+ average youth (have a couple of younger kids that are really good and bowl with the teens), U12, and then smaller kids 4-6 y/o who average like 25ish but we have 2/4 volunteers/coaches with them teaching them how to bowl so they can move up with the kids that can get the ball down the lane better. This usually involves the basketball pass style where they hold it with both hands about chest high and push it down the lane.

So in the end I think it just all depends on how the youth league is set up and if they have enough volunteers to dedicate time to the smaller kids still learning.

Here is my oldest son's team after his first season bowling he is the one with the punch balloon ... they took 3rd out of 36 teams and the 1st and 2nd place teams were teens (summer league they don't divide them into age groups)

Both my kids bowl and my youngest seems to be more proficient at it. I think it is an amazing site to watch kids bowl and think more kids should be able to get out there and bowl. Recently my nephew started bowling, he won a ribbon and wants to keep bowling. Sometimes it just takes a little encouragement to keep them bowling.

I really think it comes down to focus and attention span. All kids are different. None of mine are league bowlers (yet), but for example; one of my kids was not even allowed to ride around the block as a passenger on my bike until she was 12. She'd see a butterfly and forget to hang on! One was going on long weekend trips with me by the time she was 8, and one actually had his own dirt bike by the time he was 6. That last one definitely could have been bowling on a league by the age of 6. The first one, not so much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12