Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowling Fitness Advice

Default Bowling Fitness Advice

Hi all, I'm a new bowler and need some advice on stretching I'm a 52 yr old guy that was looking at bowling as a good form of exercise .I have a sit on my butt all day long type of job.After bowling three games on Saturday both my left hamstring and calf muscles were sore as heck, I believe my terrible form has a lot to do with this but are there some sort of exercises that are popular among bowlers ? or do I need to just work through this.My plan is to bowl Tues,Thurs, and Saturdays or is that too much to start with. I'm really enjoying the bowling and would hate to have sit out because of some under used muscles. Thanks for reading,Joe

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by joe p View Post
    Hi all, I'm a new bowler and need some advice on stretching I'm a 52 yr old guy that was looking at bowling as a good form of exercise .I have a sit on my butt all day long type of job.After bowling three games on Saturday both my left hamstring and calf muscles were sore as heck, I believe my terrible form has a lot to do with this but are there some sort of exercises that are popular among bowlers ? or do I need to just work through this.My plan is to bowl Tues,Thurs, and Saturdays or is that too much to start with. I'm really enjoying the bowling and would hate to have sit out because of some under used muscles. Thanks for reading,Joe
    I suggest the general get in shape exercises at your local gym.

You may want to put a little more emphasis on leg strength since that is the source of power and stability in bowling.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default WHY work out???

Iceman is selling GIFT certificates, to help with those that are not GIFTED, and don't want to work out!! Its a money back guaranty!!

If after 20 years you do not bowl a 300 game, full refund!!! YES FULL AMOUNT!!! Order NOW and get 2 gift certificates, for the price of Two!!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    Iceman is selling GIFT certificates, to help with those that are not GIFTED, and don't want to work out!! Its a money back guaranty!!

If after 20 years you do not bowl a 300 game, full refund!!! YES FULL AMOUNT!!! Order NOW and get 2 gift certificates, for the price of Two!!!

What if you're not alive in 20 years? How will I get my refund?

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by bubba809 View Post
    What if you're not alive in 20 years? How will I get my refund?
    Iceman is going to be around for ever so you'd be able
    to get your refund in 20 years or even in 100 years from
    now. LOL!!!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by joe p View Post
    My age is close to your age Joe. I am younger . Anyway, I go to the gym 5-6 times a week, for 1 hour each time. My workout is 45-50 minutes on the bike, 10 minutes of the treadmill and 5 minutes on a weight machine. This helps a lot with my body and my scores.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksox1 View Post
    My age is close to your age Joe. I am younger . Anyway, I go to the gym 5-6 times a week, for 1 hour each time. My workout is 45-50 minutes on the bike, 10 minutes of the treadmill and 5 minutes on a weight machine. This helps a lot with my body and my scores.
    Working out at a gym, is HUGE!! I go 3 to four times a week, my workout takes 2 hours,,, with a 30 minute cardio! I can't put into words how IMPORTANT, conditioning is to Iceman and his bowling scores at 66!! Keep at working out!

I took this picture in July this year, without conditioning, I would NOT HAVE ROLLED those 2 300 a while back!! If you feel GOOD,,, you will bowl GOOD!!!
    Focus, strength, and balance KEY!!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 11-17-2014 at 06:57 PM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

to be honest, some of the best and easiest things you could do is walk up and down every flight of stairs you find. before bowling i to simple hamstrings stretches on the seats, i just place my heal on the seat, straighten my leg and touch my toes, you don't want to do this with a "cold" leg so try to do something to warm up you leg. also for your calf do a few calf raises, this are simple keep your feet straight and parallel and just stand up on your tippy toes for about 5 seconds then back down and repeat about 10 times. i'm not your age, i'm far below it, however i am and always have been a larger individual, so i know the struggle with knee pain. i ended up having to take 2 years off bowling just to lose some weight because my knee could not stand it any longer, in that 2 years i dropped 116 pounds and gained another almost 30 in muscle mass doing crossfit, still trecking, and still moving forward.
    "watching pros throw countless strikes in a you tube video, is like watching
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

Have you ever heard of bowlfit? A girl I went to college with started the company, and it's actually pretty on point. When you bowl you use something like 147 muscles in your entire body. From switching bowling hands this season I can feel the difference in muscles; which are strong and which are weak. I really recommend looking into bowlfit. If that's not your cup of tea, then do a total body strength training program. Don't just focus on one part of the body. And Stretch before you bowl...every time you bowl. I take about 10ish minutes to stretch my arms, shoulders, legs, hands (yes I said hand), and back out. Trust me, the difference after bowling and the next day is huge. If you want some specific stretches i'll be happy to tell you what I do.

I'm back to the gym and feel great. My key is NEVER the same workout on any given day even week to week. I use total muscle confusion. Focused effort on a set of muscles each day - i.e. Monday = legs and cardio, Tuesday = chest and arms, Wednesday = shoulders and back, Thursday = plyo and yoga. And there are millions and millions of different combos you can do - regular set, low weight high rep short rest set, max weight as many reps as you can long rest set, mid range weight super set - i.e. bicep curls + hammer curls no rest, then short rest and do it again. always 3 sets. The key I have found is balance - do NOT focus on just biceps or cardio or chest or whatever. BUILD every single muscle from wrists to calfs. I see so many muscleheads that just focus on arms and chest but are so off balance. I admit my legs are far stronger than my arms but that's just how I'm built. I want to build long lean strong muscle. Quick AND strong. That's my goal always. And with a little ju jitsu knowledge there isn't a soul on the planet that could bring you down. Use their size and being off balance against them. A strong core is a must - it's the key to everything. Crunches, abs, pull ups, sit ups etc. Should be in rotation every week.

That's my $0.02.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast