Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Examples of specific things that lead to mental disorientation

Chats: 39

Quote Originally Posted by Perrin View Post
    thinking about what could be.... imagining calling the wife after shooting the 300.... never fails the string will break when those thoughts start.
    Haha....that one gets me too sometimes .

Physical mishaps like hitting my ankle with the ball (for me it's usually getting stuck in my slide and falling forward on the lane) happen very rarely, but they always take a few frames to recover from.

What usually gets me mentally is when I have a few bad breaks in a row, or bad breaks coupled with bad shots (like numerous ringing tens, and then missing a bunch of the spares). It gets even worse when I make a good adjustment and crush the pocket only to have one pin somehow still standing because the pins bounced off each other weird. I don't have any official stats for that, but I'd reckon my spare % is significantly lower after shots like that than on shots where I can see why 1 pin was still standing.

I've gotten better at it, I can usually recover pretty well from a few bad breaks unless I get a few more afterwards, then I'll get frustrated. It's one of the things I'm still working on. I hate being one of "those guys" that gets mad and yells or hits stuff and just generally ruins the experience for everybody else (even though I consider myself to be on the low-end of the spectrum as far as temper-tantrums go).
    Company League Average: 198.1
    City League Average: 186.5
    WTBA Sport pattern League Average: 172.9
    Current Arsenal: Roto Grip Nomad Pearl, Wrecker, and Hyper Cell; Track 920A and 505A; Storm Tropical Breeze; Plastic Spare Ball

The main thing that make me lose focus is when I can't figure out a way to take out the ten pin and I start missing the spares for no other reason than the fact that I'm already thinking about what to try in the next frame on that lane. It's sort of like the mental version of putting the cart before the horse.

Chats: 204

Sometimes if I'm doing really, really bad at a certain leave...

..like last night I left 6 7-pins and only made 1. Once I missed, then missed, then missed...it was just like there was no way I was going to hit it. I just got up on the approach and no matter how hard I tried to put the bad shots behind me...it was inevitable that I'd miss it.

Well...happened last night.

Here are a couple things...super duper small....that contributed to a very bad game...

1) I had a nose hair that was "tickling" the side of my nose. Over the course of Game 1 and most of Game 2....I just kept rubbing and itching and trying to ignore it. Finally I had to go to the men's room and figure out the issue and pluck the hair because I couldn't take it anymore!!

2) Shortly after returning...I developed a thumping headache. AND...near the end of Game 2...something got in my eye. So I dealt with the headache as best I could...probably should have went out to the car and took a couple ibuprofens...but I didn't. But whatever I got in my eye....worse and worse. By midway through game 3...I couldn't keep the right eye from blinking. Even TODAY...something is still in my eye. I'm gonna go use the eyewash in a couple moments to try and get it out.

Two very, very small things (nose hair and dust/eyelash in the eye...leading to problems.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Well...happened last night.

Here are a couple things...super duper small....that contributed to a very bad game...

1) I had a nose hair that was "tickling" the side of my nose. Over the course of Game 1 and most of Game 2....I just kept rubbing and itching and trying to ignore it. Finally I had to go to the men's room and figure out the issue and pluck the hair because I couldn't take it anymore!!

2) Shortly after returning...I developed a thumping headache. AND...near the end of Game 2...something got in my eye. So I dealt with the headache as best I could...probably should have went out to the car and took a couple ibuprofens...but I didn't. But whatever I got in my eye....worse and worse. By midway through game 3...I couldn't keep the right eye from blinking. Even TODAY...something is still in my eye. I'm gonna go use the eyewash in a couple moments to try and get it out.

Two very, very small things (nose hair and dust/eyelash in the eye...leading to problems.
    Have you ever been tested for Autism?

Things that most people can ignore, stay in the focus of those with Autism.

While it appears they are closed off, they are actually trying to deal with too much stimumlation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Have you ever been tested for Autism?

Things that most people can ignore, stay in the focus of those with Autism.

While it appears they are closed off, they are actually trying to deal with too much stimumlation.
    If I was, I'd want to be like Rainman so I could clean up at the Blackjack tables.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    If I was, I'd want to be like Rainman so I could clean up at the Blackjack tables.
    Let ICEGOD be your side kick,,,,IF you find that gift GRASSHOPPER!!!! I will treat you right!!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

A big one for me is a sticky slide shoe. All I have to do is stick once and I don't fully trust the lane for the rest of the set. I use shoe powder but even then, I don't fully trust it. I've been launched over the fowl line too many times!

I also agree with the others who have had their thumb stick. Once that happens, I'm very leery of throwing the ball!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Examples of specific things that lead to mental disorientation

for some bowlers it can be as simple as Chewing Gum, and Bowling TOO! Aslan, when I destroyed you in Vegas, I think I remember you chewing?
    Was it Gum, or Tobacco?

If my recollections are right, Chewing in unison with your steps, just might take you to the NEXT LEVEL which is still 4 floors below ICEGOD!! LOL

Last edited by MICHAEL; 11-20-2014 at 10:53 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    Examples of specific things that lead to mental disorientation

for some bowlers it can be as simple as Chewing Gum, and Bowling TOO! Aslan, when I destroyed you in Vegas, I think I remember you chewing?
    Was it Gum, or Tobacco?

If my recollections are right, Chewing in unison with your steps, just might take you to the NEXT LEVEL which is still 4 floors below ICEGOD!! LOL

Was that when you qualified 4th out of 5 or when you got beat in the scotch doubles match. I keep forgetting. Since you never ACTUALLY won a match...I'm having trouble connecting the dots. I'll have to go through some of the footage. Usually when I watch it (at least 3x a day), I fast forward past Iceman's footage because his form is so horrible I don't want it to mess with my progress I've been making.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12