Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You can't handle the truth!!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default You can't handle the truth!!

Have a question about league sheets! When I first started bowling the seniors league 4 years ago bowling was completely new to me!
    My question is in regards to how THIS Seniors league keeps weekly records. Have any of you out there heard of this method used for weekly standings

1. First it has team standings, win’s and loses ect. It’s reality, real!

2. Second it has Season to date individual achievements, it’s not real!

I am told its set up by AMF for seniors to ONLY give ONE other category other than averages, you can only have your name in ONE category! In my case on average, as of last week, I am in second place, TEMPORARYLY! That’s accurate, but then under individual achievements, They gave me the High Series so far this year, 693, (which I do own), but do not show me holding the high game scratch 280, nor the High game Handicap, nor High series handicap.

This senior’s league use to have the achievements reflects REALITY? Is this something new, or do other house have this Special Olympic type Your all winners, and no one can have more than ONE listing, in achievements other than high average!

When I talked to some of the seniors about the totally make believe achievements, they didn’t even know it was wrong, and agreed with me it should not be that way.

With that kind of logic,, why not just rotate who is truly in first FRICKEN PLACE each week so every team feels SPECIAL!!

I went to the lady that runs the league, for AMF, she said it was the program she got from AMF. I said it was CRAZY! What’s the reason for an achievement sheet, if it’s all make believe!

Just wondering if anyone else ever come across such a thing.

this league is non sanctioned, mainly because they don't want to pay for the sanctioned membership, cost. They do give awards out and have a nice dinner at the end of the season, which is in the second week of December I believe. They do give nice little trophies, but ONLY ONE PER PERSON! I am ok with that one trophy per person, but the data sheet should reflect reality!

Remember this is the fist league I bowled at 62. I have seveal people I like a lot on this league, they are the ones that encouraged me to go sanctioned 4 years ago.
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 11-26-2014 at 08:53 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Sorry Michael, but it's not an AMF thing. Virtually every league in which I've ever bowled is set up like this. In terms of individual achievements, you only get your name in one category, and the highest in terms of placement (first place vs. second place for example) trumps the lower placement, and, in most leagues, scratch scores trump handicap scores, and series scores trump individual game scores. What this means is that if you have the highest scratch game (1st), the highest scratch series (1st), the highest handicap game (1st), and the highest handicap series (1st), the only place that your name will appear is the the high scratch series. If, at some point, someone else beats your high scratch series score, but you still own the high scratch game score, then your name will disappear off of the high scratch series (even though you're still second), and appear first for high scratch game. This may seem strange, but when you think about it, it gives the most bowlers the chance to see their names in the individual achievement section of the league sheet and prevents one individual from dominating all of the individual achievements because of one good week. This is why most bowlers consider the high individual AVERAGE standings to be the most important category listed.

Blog Entries

thanks for the reply,,, I guess this only applies to senior league at SOME establishments. Gladstone lanes, Burnswick, has several senior leagues, and they don't follow this format, they actually show reality! HUMMMM.... I personally would not feel like I deserved a position, if I didn't actually own it!! LOL..... O Well ... I had NO IDEA, being pretty new to this wonderful sport, that this was the norm.

Is this only true for seniors?

I completely understand giving ONLY ONE AWARD to each person at the end of the season, This summer (short league) I won First place team, and high series, even though I had other categories! I only got two trophies.

WHAT's wrong with the TRUTH on the sheets?? What wrong with America,,,, is it that important to see your name at the top of a sheet knowing is all MADE-BELIEVE? LOL

I wish when I ran track in collage, they would have give me Frist place in an event, if the person that beat me, already won anther event!! (
    I guess bowling is SPECIAL...
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 256

Every league I have ever bowled in only shows one category for individual achievements. It is part of rules that and individual can only "win" one category. We typically have prize for 1st and 2nd of each category from prize fund.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Blog Entries

Default ROB,, I stand corrected!

Yes, went back and looked at the sheets and you seem to be correct! I'ts just not RIGHT! I myself would like to see on the data sheet, the real standings in regards to all categories.

I guess I am different, I want the TRUTH,,,, I CAN HANDLE IT!! LOL
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Every league I have ever bowled in only shows one category for individual achievements. It is part of rules that and individual can only "win" one category. We typically have prize for 1st and 2nd of each category from prize fund.
    You know, I understand the winning ONE category, but why not during the year have the data sheet show the TRUTH, who really owns each category?

I guess Iceman is slow,,, I had no idea it was unreality on the sheets, except under the individual stats where you name is located along with teammates.

Do most of you think this is RIGHT?? Even if I was not holding one position due to maybe 3 or 4 great bowlers, I would still want Reality? I don't get it? Your thoughts??????
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Blog Entries

Default I guess.....

Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    Not every standing sheet is the same: http://www.leaguesecretary.com/Leagu...aspx?LID=47090

My guess is that the ones only show your name once are set up to make it easier at the end of the season to figure out who gets the award.

Are you really so selfish that you want to take every award at the end of the year? Is your ego so fragile that that you need to see the name Michael Pence at the top of every category?

The Truth: League bowling depends on every bowler feeling that they have a chance to win. This is why most leagues use handicaps. This is why most leagues limit the number of individual awards that one person can win.
    John

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Not every standing sheet is the same: http://www.leaguesecretary.com/Leagu...aspx?LID=47090

My guess is that the ones only show your name once are set up to make it easier at the end of the season to figure out who gets the award.

Are you really so selfish that you want to take every award at the end of the year? Is your ego so fragile that that you need to see the name Michael Pence at the top of every category?

The Truth: League bowling depends on every bowler feeling that they have a chance to win. This is why most leagues use handicaps. This is why most leagues limit the number of individual awards that one person can win.
    YES I am big on REALITY!! I have played sports my whole life! Did you see my example on Track and Field?? Its not being selfish,,, Wow,,, its REALITY!

I want to know who truly holds what category? It doesn't bother me to not be in first, in all categories, just as long as I hold 3/4 of them ICEGOD IS HAPPY.

HELLO guy walking around bragging about how ( YOU HOLD THE High Scratch Score),,, Reality check, Icegod holds it with his 280, not you with your 279! In fact my
    name and 280 is not even listed with the 3 scores showing.... THIS is WRONG!

bowling stats, is not like not sharing the WATER, OR FOOD, when on an Island shipped wrecked,,, I am big on sharing many things,,, but SIMPLE BOWING STATS, to inflate peoples ego that don't deserve it???? That's a horse of a different color.

Iceman shares MANY things with people in need! But to need you ego inflated by thinking you hold a category in on the bowling stat sheet, is JUST WRONG!

What other sport does this?

HELLO... REALITY CHECK!

I have to go through all the individual stats by each persons name to FIND THE TRUTH! Sometimes the TRUTH IS HARD TO FIND, but the Truth is out There!!

ICE, can handle the TRUTH!

I understand the AWARDS thing, but stat's are stats!!!!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 11-26-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Here's a different perspective for you to consider. Back when I was a Special Education teacher in middle school, I always had a sign up on my wall for my students. It read, "Whoever said that life is fair?". Perhaps it is because of your newness to the sport. Many years ago I took all of my bowling trophies and threw them in the garbage. As a Christian, Michael, certainly you know how little trophies matter to the greater picture. How about a little Christian humility and thoughts about how many other people are feeling good because they get to see their names under individual achievements, rather than just feeling bad because your name is not listed enough?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast