Thread: Protective tape vs rounding off thumb hole vs thumb insert?

Default Protective tape vs rounding off thumb hole vs thumb insert?

Ok, I'm REALLY trying to get this problem solved, so that my trips to my local bowling center will be more enjoyable (and hopefully more frequent and higher-scoring).

Anyway, As a few of you know, I recently purchased an Elite Traitor ball, and had it drilled at my local center. I determined that the thumb was too tight, after the first few trips to the bowling center, when it kept rubbing the skin off the side of my thumb. So I had the pro shop guy make the hole a little bigger.

That leads to another problem. If you look at your hand, palm up, and see where your thumb meets your palm, that's where I'm having the problem now. It's now rubbing skin off there.

I went bowling on Tuesday, and shot 181, 225, and 188 with it, but it was increasingly difficult the 3rd game, because of the skin issue.

I have a cousin that suggested protective tape, but I think that's for if it's rubbing in a different area.

So I'm wondering if I should have the pro shop guy try to round off the top of the thumb hole more gently, or if I should get a thumb insert.

So what are the pros/cons of each? I'd really like to get this fixed, so that my bowling is more enjoyable in the future.

Thanks for any advice...

Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    Ok, I'm REALLY trying to get this problem solved, so that my trips to my local bowling center will be more enjoyable (and hopefully more frequent and higher-scoring).

Anyway, As a few of you know, I recently purchased an Elite Traitor ball, and had it drilled at my local center. I determined that the thumb was too tight, after the first few trips to the bowling center, when it kept rubbing the skin off the side of my thumb. So I had the pro shop guy make the hole a little bigger.

That leads to another problem. If you look at your hand, palm up, and see where your thumb meets your palm, that's where I'm having the problem now. It's now rubbing skin off there.

I went bowling on Tuesday, and shot 181, 225, and 188 with it, but it was increasingly difficult the 3rd game, because of the skin issue.

I have a cousin that suggested protective tape, but I think that's for if it's rubbing in a different area.

So I'm wondering if I should have the pro shop guy try to round off the top of the thumb hole more gently, or if I should get a thumb insert.

So what are the pros/cons of each? I'd really like to get this fixed, so that my bowling is more enjoyable in the future.

Thanks for any advice...
    If I'm understanding you correctly and if the blister is where you say it is then the span of your holes might be incorrect. With your fingertips in the ball, you shouldn't have that much pressure at that point on your hand. Also, if it is drilled correctly, you shouldn't have so much pressure at that point on your thumb. Your hand should be nearly relaxed without dropping the ball. And when you release the ball, it should just come out of the ball with no effort/pressure. It sounds to me like you're having to "grab" the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by axslinger View Post
    It sounds to me like you're having to "grab" the ball.
    I think this is the case. But before, the thumb hole was too tight and rubbed skin off on the outside right on my knuckle.

So I'm guessing it's drilled wrong, then? The span isn't too long (that was my problem with my old ball), so I'm guessing now that the hole is slightly too big. Ugh. I was hoping that wasn't the issue.

Chats: 4

Sounds as if you are maybe squezing the ball a
    little bit or maybe you need to have the top of
    the thumb hole beveled a little bit.

As for putting the protective tape where you're
    getting the blister/skin rubbed off, yes just wrap
    a piece around the base of your thumb where the
    problem is.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

The org. problem was wear on the side of the thumb, so depending on where the wear was. You would take different corrective measures.
    Causes:

A - Span Too Short
    A - Excessive Reverse Pitch
    B - Excessive Left Pitch
    B - Hole Too Small

Excessive Right Pitch
    Hole Too Small

Typical causes for wear at the base of the thumb:

Span Too Short or Too Long
    Hole Needs More Bevel
    Hole Too Big

Thanks for any advice...
    Assuming enlarging the hole was the best correction for the org. problem.

If the hole was made too big, you maybe squeezing the ball. You can try adding black tape in the black of the hole and making it smaller and see if the that helps. That would tell you if the hole is too big. You could then either put in a smaller insert or slug and redrill the hole.

If that doesn't help then you might try more bevel (beveling will reduce the span slightly also) and see how it does.

As for a Thumb insert (Now when you say "Insert" are you referring to a actual insert which is thing like a finger insert but is for the thumb? (I use them) or are you talking about a "slug"? which is what they put in and drill a hole in.

You might should also have you grip rechecked for span and pitches also.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 11-26-2014 at 04:29 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    The org. problem was wear on the side of the thumb, so depending on where the wear was. You would take different corrective measures.
    Causes:

B - Hole Too Small
    Yes, that was the original problem.

The first thing you might try is more bevel (beveling will reduce the span slightly)
    Is this something I could do myself, or would I need the pro shop guy to do it? I saw him give a slight bevel to my "spare" ball at one point (both balls had to have the thumb hole enlarged), and it looked like he used something resembling a vegetable peeler.

As for a Thumb insert (Now when you say "Insert" are you referring to a actual insert which is thing like a finger insert but is for the thumb? (I use them) or are you talking about a "slug"? which is what they put in and drill a hole in.
    An actual insert, like a finger insert, but for the thumb. I figure if they're softer (like the finger inserts) then I may not have this issue.

But yeah, if you turned your hand over, palm facing you, and went from the tip of your thumb to where it met your palm, that area right there (just below the joint, I believe) is where it's blistering.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Yes, that was the original problem. (B - Hole Too Small)
    I'm not saying your wrong, but you said "You determined the hole was too small" how did you rule out it wasn't a pitch problem?
    Did the PSO check any of it or did you just come in and say"make the hole bigger?

If it was actually a pitch problem, While making the hole bigger may seemed to have helped. Making the hole bigger instead of adjusting the pitch, could have created the new problem.

By making the hole bigger you may have started squeezing the ball, which in turn is causing the new wear spot.

Is this something I could do myself, or would I need the pro shop guy to do it? I saw him give a slight bevel to my "spare" ball at one point (both balls had to have the thumb hole enlarged), and it looked like he used something resembling a vegetable peeler.
    Yes you could do it yourself, but if you have never done it before and you are not careful you can over do it.Having the PSO do it would be no big thing and they shouldn't charge for it.

An actual insert, like a finger insert, but for the thumb. I figure if they're softer (like the finger inserts) then I may not have this issue.
    Thumb inserts are mostly vinyl and are not soft like finger inserts.

Thumb inserts to a lot feel tacky and others feel they are slick. To me they feel slick, that's why I usually have a piece of white tape in for some texture.

If you do use one, you should get a oval one.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 11-26-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker