The Roto Grip Hysteria is the latest Roto Grip release in the HP3 line of balls. It uses the solid 67MH cover with an all new Late Roll 69 core. The Hysteria has an Rg of 2.58 and Diff of 0.049 in 15lb balls. The Hysteria is yellow and purple in color, which actually blends making it look like it is green, purple and yellow. The Hysteria comes with a factory finish of 1500 grit polished. The polished cover gives the Hysteria nice shelf appeal.
The Hysteria is a really good ball that has a specific ball motion, and place in my arsenal. It isn’t a benchmark piece for me, but is a ball that sees the lanes when I am able to bump the track on a house condition. This has really been my experience with about every high Rg and high differential ball that I have thrown over the years. I drilled the Hysteria with a 4 ½” x 2 ¼” x 4 ¾” layout, using the Storm VLS system. My PAP is 5” straight across. I have left the Hysteria at box finish, for testing purposes. The Hysteria glides through the front with a predictable roll. It doesn’t seem to over skid, even though it has a polished finish. As it gets to the breakpoint, it rolls off the spot for me, with a consistent hard move. The Hysteria doesn’t hook too early, and doesn’t over react to the backend of the lane. The Hysteria revs up nicely in the midlane, and gives me control of a house condition. The reaction of the Hysteria is like no other ball that I currently have in my arsenal. The one thing that I have noticed with the Hysteria is, when it is close to the reaction I need, it is awesome! But when the Hysteria goes away, it doesn’t allow me to chase the pattern real deep, and still carry. For me, the cover and core of the Hysteria is at its best when I can allow it to float through the front, and roll off the spot. When I move deeper on the lane, I almost have to force it to the hook spot and I then struggle with carry, as the high Rg doesn’t allow it to face up quick enough to get the ball into a roll through the pins. This is just my experience with how I laid the Hysteria out, and how I throw the ball. I have personally watched other bowlers with higher degrees of axis tilt get the Hysteria back from anywhere on the lane. The Hysteria for me is a ball that I want to keep at third arrow and left on the lane. Once I get deeper, it is time to get a different ball out that corners off the spot harder for me than what the Hysteria does.
As I said earlier, the Hysteria will be a great ball for high rev players that want to hook the lane, thanks to the high differential. The Hysteria is more of a control piece for medium rev players, and allows us to play closer to the dry, as the high Rg helps give the ball push, and the solid cover helps the ball roll through the backend of the lane. Low rev players will like the way they can get the Hysteria to hold pocket with carry, when riding just inside the oil line. Thank you for taking the time to read my review of the Hysteria.