Thread: Making Adjustments to the Surface of Your Bowling Equipment | USBC Bowling Academy

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Making Adjustments to the Surface of Your Bowling Equipment | USBC Bowling Academy

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 204

So lets say you sand a ball before a match...then the next game you want it back to it's original surface because the lanes. Can you abralon it down to 1000 and then between matches use polish and 2000 abralon to make it smoother? And all of this without a ball spinner?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    So lets say you sand a ball before a match...then the next game you want it back to it's original surface because the lanes. Can you abralon it down to 1000 and then between matches use polish and 2000 abralon to make it smoother?
    No. It's against the rules to alter the ball surface once competition has begun. So you can't change the surface between games.

And all of this without a ball spinner?
    But assuming the rules allowed it.

Sure you could change the surface by hand and make it smoother, would it be as good as you could do it on a spinner? No.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Al - A question for you. I don't have the latest USBC Rule Book, but according to the 2013-14 Playing Rules, under the Commly Asked Questions about Rule 18 - Altering Surface, under 18/2 c. Polishing, it states:

... "once tournament or league play begins, the use of a ball spinner is strictly prohibited; only an automated, self-contained polishing machine may be used."

As the spinner is prohibited, but the polishing machine is allowed, and there is no reference to hand-polishing. Are bowlers actually allowed to use polish, applied by hand during competition? The rule seems to only apply to adding surface, not taking it away? Any idea?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Al - A question for you. I don't have the latest USBC Rule Book, but according to the 2013-14 Playing Rules, under the Commly Asked Questions about Rule 18 - Altering Surface, under 18/2 c. Polishing, it states:

... "once tournament or league play begins, the use of a ball spinner is strictly prohibited; only an automated, self-contained polishing machine may be used."
    That part of the rule has been changed, the use of the polishing machine is no longer allowed.

Rule Changes:
    USBC Rule 18 – Bowling Ball – Altering Surface
    The use of polishing machines during competition will be prohibited.

As the spinner is prohibited, but the polishing machine is allowed, and there is no reference to hand-polishing. Are bowlers actually allowed to use polish, applied by hand during competition?
    No. See C.Polishing below

The fact that "Hand polishing" isn't directly referenced doesn't mean that it's allowed, the rule is about altering the surface with abrasives. The majority of all polishes are abrasives, so regardless of how applied couldn't be used.

Now someone could say what about a non-abrasive polish? It would have to be a USBC approved for use during and as far as I know there are none approved for that.

The rule seems to only apply to adding surface, not taking it away? Any idea?
    The rule is about "altering" the surface, adding surface and taking away surface are both altering the surface.

USBC Rules 2014-2015
    Rule 18 – Bowling Ball – Altering Surface
    Altering the surface of a bowling ball by the use of abrasives while bowling in USBC competition is
    prohibited.

All bowling balls so altered must be removed from the competition. (See the USBC Equipment
    Specifications Manual on BOWL.com.)

NOTE: If it is shown the bowler had prior knowledge his/her actions were in violation of Rule 18, the
    game(s) in which the violation occurred is (are) subject to forfeiture. In addition, the bowler is
    subject to dismissal from the league and suspension of membership.
    Competition is defined as the remainder of the current game and remaining game(s) in the
    series being bowled.
    The use of approved cleaning agents listed in the Approved Anytime section of the Approved
    Cleaners and Polishes list is permissible.

Commonly Asked Questions – Rule 18.
    18/1 When can an approved cleaner be used on a bowling ball?
    Unless otherwise provided by league or tournament rule, cleaners designated as Approved
    Anytime by USBC can be used on bowling balls at any time during USBC competition. During
    competition approved cleaners may only be applied by hand and soft cloth. For a complete list of
    approved cleaning agents, see BOWL.com.
    A cleaner that is Approved for Before/After Certified Competition may only be used outside
    competition.

18/2 When may I alter the surface of my bowling ball?
    a. Cleaning – Cleaners approved for use any time may be utilized before, during or after
    certified competition; cleaners approved for only before and after competition may only
    be used during these times. The use of a ball spinner is prohibited during competition.
    b. Sanding – You are permitted to sand the surface of your bowling balls prior to certified
    competition; however, the use of abrasives is strictly prohibited once the first ball is thrown
    in the competition.
    c. Polishing – You are permitted to polish the surface of your bowling ball prior to certified
    competition. However, once tournament or league play begins, the use of a ball spinner is
    strictly prohibited.

18/3 A tournament consists of doubles and singles events. The singles event is bowled first
    immediately followed by the doubles. Can I sand my bowling ball between events?
    No. Rule 18 does not allow the outer surface of any bowling ball to be altered with an abrasive
    after the start of competition. This includes balls that have not yet been introduced into play.
    The start of competition is defined as the point the first ball is thrown by any participant for
    score. Since the tournament is conducting singles and doubles concurrently, you cannot alter
    the surface of the bowling ball (including sanding) between events.

18/4 Can a bowler use an abrasive, cleaner or polish on just the track or only just a portion of
    the track of the ball?
    No. USBC specifications require that the entire surface of the ball be prepared in a uniform
    manner. Preparing the surface of a ball in any other manner would be a violation of Rule 17a,
    Item 1. The penalty for a violation of this rule can include disqualification,
    Last edited by bowl1820; 12-01-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks for the clarification.

Chats: 204

They need to make a rule that attractive women aren't allowed to practice on the lane next to me. Very distracting.

Last night, I swear a girl that looked like a young Daryl Hannah...spitting image...bowling right next to me in Yoga pants.

Actually, can they also make "yoga pants" illegal as well?

I heard that once the first ball of practice is thrown that any adjustment is not legal. Most tournaments now days anyway.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 15lbballs View Post
    I heard that once the first ball of practice is thrown that any adjustment is not legal. Most tournaments now days anyway.

Once the first ball of "Competition" is thrown, you can't make adjustments.

So Unless noted in a League or Tournament rules, you can alter your ball during practice.

See above: 18/2 When may I alter the surface of my bowling ball?