Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: General Annoyances with High Rev ballers...a mini rant/observation

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Also consider cranking the holy crap out of the ball is what got him into the finals to begin with.

After a few frames of trouble, he was so far behind (Mika ended up with a 299 game) that he was just trying to save face, yet the troubles persisted.
    Well, yeah, that's why I said that what's really needed is a more diverse tool box. When the crank wasn't working for him, why not try throwing down and in?

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Hey...there are lots of thumbless and 2-handers and crankers that'll prove me wrong...I agree.

I was just thinking outloud about the particular example I saw. These guys were chucking that thing half way down the lane...lofting the gutters...and then when they left something...they threw the same ball. One guy would throw it "back-up style" to pick up spares. And they weren't very good at it! I'd like to think a plastic ball would solve their problem...but I'm not sure. I think they just really LIKE throwing that big curve...and when they leave something...it's almost an annoyance to have to throw differently.

But yes...I was MORE ANNOYED with me missing two single-pin spares in game 1 than I was about their high rev activities. Granted, those were the only 2 single-pin spares I missed out of 9 games...but still. To keep up with those guys striking left and right...I can't even afford to miss one makeable spare.

And I couldn't figure it out. I saw the scoring slips...these guys have 200+ averages. How can they maintain that average with spare shooting that looked to be about 40%? All I could think was;

1) If you strike enough...a missed spare here and there doesn't hurt you.
    2) These guys were from the same house...maybe their game is perfect for that house and they don't leave as many spares.

I don't know. The cool thing was watching the mental game. When high average bowlers start bowling badly...it's not pretty.

I bowled against one guy on the second Squad...210+ average...and this guy couldn't buy a break. Split after split after split. Solid hits leaving 8-pins or the 8-10. I think he bowled a 498 or something...and was PISSED.

Another guy, a kid, he and I were chatting between squads...then were on the same squad for Squad 3...and he also was just having a rough evening...and that was the squad I was hammering the competition (won 2 of the 3 sidepots and the men's bracket). Well, MWhite knew the kid and I guess the kid thought I was a ringer or sandbagger or something!! Thats a HUGE compliment!! I didn't even BELONG in Division A...I got bumped up because of the stupid 149 average in a sport league...yet this kid thought I was sandbagging?? So what, I belong in the 181+ Classic division??

I'm sure MWhite set him straight. I mean, ME...a sandbagger? Just show the kid the trouncing I took in Vegas at the AVI. Have him come watch me and my lofty 161 average on Tuesdays. Sanbagger/Ringer INDEED!!!
    The ultimate compliment to be accused as a sandbagger. The two hander I was talking about can throw the backup hook still two handed at his right side stuff he's pretty awesome and seems to be more consistent than most two handers I've seen. Doesn't have as much loft as most of the two hand guys I've bowled with either which is nice. I'm still yet to see a consistent thumbless bowler though I'm sure there are some out there but I haven't seen one just not sure why you would develop that style.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

There are 2 thumbless bowlers in my Tuesday night league, they averaged a 216 and 212 last year. One is more power, one more finesse. Neither are young guys, either - I'm sure they've both had that style for many years and perfected it.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    The guy thought you might be a sandbagger because your average was listed as 140's, and your low game that last squad was 177.
    But you DID set him straight right? I mean, the listed average of 149...was my SPORT average...which using the adjustment chart is a????

Now, that average was over 24 games that I filled in at the tail end of a sport league. BARELY enough games to even qualify.

I actually felt it was UNFAIR to use that as my average because:
    A) It is NOT my USBC Sanctioned Average for last season...the actual combined average is 166.
    B) It took into account the average of 24 games...but NOT the average I bowled in the OCUSBC league where I bowled a 166 average over 66 games!
    C) My averages since starting bowling in the end of 2013 are 165, 166, and 172. And that 172 was as a sub over only 12 games. The 165 and 166 are over 132 games (66 each season).

So this kid...a Division A (> 170 average) player felt I was SANDBAGGING DIVSION A because I had a 149 SPORT average...which means he thought I should actually be in what? The CLASSIC division!?? I get bumped into a division I don't belong in...and then I bowl ONE good squad and he wants me bumped into the Division ABOVE THAT ONE!??

They used 173 as my average and I won 3 sidepots bowling a 221 (Squad 1), a 217 (Squad 3), and a 199 (Squad 3) and I won the Squad 3 bracket beating HIM in the final game when I rolled a 177 and beat him SCRATCH!!!

So I bowl 48 pins, 44 pins, and 26 pins OVER my UNFAIR average of 173...then beat him SCRATCH in the bracket finals....yet somehow it's not FAIR and I should get bumped up and bowl against the guys averaging >189...despite my 166 sanctioned composite average, the fact that I've NEVER averaged over 166 in a full league, and despite the fact that I currently have a 161 average in my Tuesday night league???

I'm just glad HE knocked D. Polus out in the 2nd round of the brackets and I knocked of "Mac" in Round 2. Because in Game 3, Mac shot a 260 and D.P. shot a 280...so if ANYONE should be pissed...it should be those two 200+ average bowlers that got bumped in the 2nd round.

And for crying out loud...I won like $53 total. I spent like $97 (not counting lunch and the pro shop stuff) so it's not like I walked out of there with cash falling out of my pockets.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 204

AND...I'll be SHOCKED if I win Division A (results not yet posted) with a 593 series.

I figured I'd need > 590 to win Division B...probably > 650 to win Division A. In the end, I imagine I'll be the one that gets screwed when the results get posted and my 593 would have won me Division B.

But, whatever. IF I DO win Division A...I may turn down the invite to the state tournament anyways and try my luck in Division B for Orange County. I don't want to represent Citrus Belt in Division A if I'm not really a Division A bowler. Maybe they'll let me represent both...but I don't think thats how it works.

It doesn't matter...because the odds I won Division A with a 593 are not good...and the odds I can win Divsion B in Orange Counter (bigger tournament and tougher competition) are also not good.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Banned
    Chats: 68

But you DID set him straight right?
    Yeah I told him those scores were a fluke, and how you normally suck

I mean, the listed average of 149...was my SPORT average...which using the adjustment chart is a????

Now, that average was over 24 games that I filled in at the tail end of a sport league. BARELY enough games to even qualify.
    You were bowing outside of your association, and in this association, the only games you had listed in the book were from that sport league.

The people running the tourney are from the days where phones didn't even have a dial tone, so don't expect them to go onto bowl.com to get a complete history.

Clearly there are flaws in the average conversion from sport to rec. bowling but the rules are the rules.
    Last edited by Mike White; 12-09-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Chats: 0

It's a sport - there are trends, but there's never been (and never will be) a consensus on how it should be played. And, I don't care what era you think is "right"...even then people were expanding the boundaries and developing different styles.

The 50's and 60's were a "modern" era that the older guys then said was "too much power" and "using too much body english" compared to what they grew up with.

Knock the pins over. That's what the game is supposed to be.

I tried doing some funny high rev release... I just ended up with a ton of funny splits. I'll stick with my sub 300 Revs and my upright release that allows me to play for hours without tiring.

Chats: 304

I've thrown a few shots that way. I actually used to bowl backup a little bit when I was younger. Might think about adding that to my style mm nah

Chats: 4

We have a couple of thumbless bowlers in our Thursday
    night league one has a 200+ average and the other might
    have a 120-130 average but he can bowl so much better as
    a two hander but he wants to stick with the thumbless one
    handed style.

Now as for the game of bowling changing over the years it
    has to change or become stagnant and die off as it has died
    off way too much the way it is now without change the game
    of bowling would be dead and gone.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast