Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pin up, or down, does it really make a differance?

Chats: 0

For me, pin up and pin down does make a difference.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Thats from Phoenix Ball Balancing, their the ones that use the software based on the old Compubalance software.

Which basically lays out balls To take out all imbalance in a ball (making them all low flare). I assume they used it on those balls, if so they are not going to look different.

Heres a video of a Encounter they did it to, it rolls just like the above ones.

http://collegegraphs.com/Encounternar2.mp4

That black mark on the ball is a permanent pap marker, just a hole drilled and plugged a different color.
    Making them 0 imbalance isn't what makes them low flare.

Pin to Pap of 0", or 6 3/4" achieves the minimum amount of flare.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by channelsurfer View Post
    You know everything on the internet is true..........I am a French model!!

Static weights mean nothing in balls today. Changing dual angle sums can create significant changes in ball motion...........those videos are garbage!!!
    There are balls made today that have a pancake weight block.

If I take a 4 oz top weight ball, and drill the CG on my axis, then drill a big hole on the negative axis, I can create probably 7+ ounces of side weight.

I could kick that ball down the lane and have it hook a bunch.

Static weights doesn't mean as much on balls with a highly dynamic core, but not all balls fall into that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    There are balls made today that have a pancake weight block.

If I take a 4 oz top weight ball, and drill the CG on my axis, then drill a big hole on the negative axis, I can create probably 7+ ounces of side weight.

I could kick that ball down the lane and have it hook a bunch.

Static weights doesn't mean as much on balls with a highly dynamic core, but not all balls fall into that category.
    Who throws a pancake weight block other than a spare ball? Statics have to be less than 1oz side, finger or thumb. Top or bottom weight has to be less than 3oz to be legal. Statics mean very little to ball reaction period. Moving the mass in a pancake weight block can actually alter differential and that has a greater effect on ball motion than statics.

Banned

Who throws a pancake weight block other than a spare ball? Statics have to be less than 1oz side, finger or thumb. Top or bottom weight has to be less than 3oz to be legal. Statics mean very little to ball reaction period. Moving the mass in a pancake weight block can actually alter differential and that has a greater effect on ball motion than statics.
    I throw a pancake weight block ball for strikes.

With the rev rate I can throw consistently, reactive resin balls give me a significant over reaction.

It is harder to learn to go from 600 rpm down to 300 rpm and repeat that consistently, than it is to learn to go from 150 rpm up to 300 rpm consistently.

So until I can unlearn how to rev the ball, I'm stuck with urethane balls, at high revs.

The point is some people think the USBC should do away with static limits, because they have such small effect on a modern cored ball.

If they did away with static limits, a ball with 7 ounces of side weight would be legal.

I would have responded directly to RobM but he takes all of my responses as a personal attack.

[QUOTE=channelsurfer;121410]Who throws a pancake weight block other than a spare ball? Statics have to be less than 1oz side, finger or thumb. Top or bottom weight has to be less than 3oz to be legal. Statics mean very little to ball reaction period. Moving the mass in a pancake weight block can actually alter differential and that has a greater effect on ball motion than statics.[/QUOTE

There are many sport patterns now that urethane works well on due to a smaller volume in the fronts or distance of pattern being shorter. There are several of the kegel patterns and wtba patterns fitting that senario.

There are very few pancake weight block urethane balls available today. Even so statics do VERY LITTLE to overall ball reaction.

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...-Part-IV/page2

So Mike White are you the guy in the green shirt in the video on that page? Just guessing since that is the highest rev rate in the video. How did you figure your rev rate at 600 rpm's? 300 rpm's is probably closer to your rev rate. Why in the heck would you need a pancake weight block or urethane on 99% of the THS around?

And if you are referring to RobLV1 as Rob M ........He gets it and understands ball motion. As he said...... ambient temp and humidity has more effect on ball motion than static weights.

Banned

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...-Part-IV/page2

So Mike White are you the guy in the green shirt in the video on that page? Just guessing since that is the highest rev rate in the video. How did you figure your rev rate at 600 rpm's? 300 rpm's is probably closer to your rev rate. Why in the heck would you need a pancake weight block or urethane on 99% of the THS around?
    This video was taken near April 1st, I had just reinjured my elbow on about Feb 20th, so I wasn't throwing revs that day.

This is a more upto date video. Even in this video there was more oil, and less lane friction than I usually bowl on, but I'm still using urethane because resin balls would snap too sharp.
    Last edited by Mike White; 12-12-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast