Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 1st pba telecast sunday 12/14 -- will you be watching?

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    How many Sundays (Sport conditions) did we bowl on the same pair?

And how many of those times did you beat me total pins?
    Doesn't count. We weren't competing...we were TEAMMATES. I WANTED you to do well. I wasn't mentally trying to defeat you. It's a completely different environment once I put my "vs Mike" gameface on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    The Surfers over Bikers victory was a bit of a surprise to me.

Due to the structure, I expected to get stuck shooting at a large number of odd spares, but somehow Aslan threw more than his normal % of strikes.

And the fact that the bikers threw a less than normal % helped our cause.
    Iceman tried his best to stack that doubles match as much in his favor as he could by:

1) Pairing himself with the highest average bowler and pairing MWhite with the lowest average bowler.
    2) Making it scotch doubles which SHOULD GREATLY FAVOR a team with a righty AND a lefty (Mudpuppy).

I figured we were in big trouble because my strike rate is so low MWhite would constantly be dealign with my messy, multi-pin leaves and washouts. And I figured IF Iceman left something...it would be a 10-pin that Mudpuppy could pick up and if Mudpuppy left something it would be a 7-pin that Iceman could pick up...and they both have high strike %s to boot.

But...like that weird rapper guy that surged at the right time to help Ronnie Russell beat the Barnes/Hardwick team last weekend...I was able to get hot at the right time and not only strike a little...but even pick up spares that MWhite was leaving.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Doesn't count. We weren't competing...we were TEAMMATES. I WANTED you to do well. I wasn't mentally trying to defeat you.
    Ok so you're falling back on the "mentally not trying" excuse.

How about the person you were bowling against...

How often did you manage to beat them, because you mentally should have been trying.

If I remember, that didn't work out so well either.

Kinda eliminates the "mentally not trying" excuse.

Anyone watch the masters show today? What did you think of the performances?

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    I watched it on tv because I couldn't get tickets to the show, they sold out for today. They had great turnout all week. One of the guys in my Wednesday league bowled in it, he didn't quite make the round of 64.

As far as the show, I really do like the step ladder format versus the format they used earlier this year. I honestly was rooting for Weber, he did an interview with the local news and you could really tell how much a win would have ment to him. He looked like he had some approach issues, then Belmo got in his head.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    The first games were pretty good. All three games were close, being decided in either the ninth or tenth frame. Some excellent spare shooting as well.

The last game was disappointing with A.J. Johnson never putting any pressure on Belmonte.
    John

Bowler
    Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    The first games were pretty good. All three games were close, being decided in either the ninth or tenth frame. Some excellent spare shooting as well.

The last game was disappointing with A.J. Johnson never putting any pressure on Belmonte.
    I can second this, I thought it was a very exciting show until the end when it became clear that A.J. Johnson wasn't going to be able to put up much of a fight against Belmonte. It's a shame because it's happened in back to back years now where a young guy has bowled great all week to secure the #1 seed and then the moment just seemed a little too big for them on TV and by the time they got their nerves under control it was too late. That's the unfortunate part about it coming down to a 1 game match after it being a 3 game series to get them there but those are the breaks.

I think Saturday was equally if not more exciting than the TV show itself with the bowlers attempting to qualify for the show but unfortunately it could only be seen on Xtra Frame and I'm sure a lot of people missed it. It doesn't get much better though than 665-664 to decide the #1 seed and to have the eliminator come down to the final frame of game 3 to decide the #4 and #5 seeds.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

I agree, he looked a bit nervous and seemed to really be muscling the ball a lot. He had to much speed and not enough rotation. It seemed to come together a little bit when he made that ball change. Belmo lucked out converting that split, also was cool to see A.J almost convert the Greek church.

For obvious reasons, I didn't really like it. Weber seemed like he was acting even more childish than usual...which I'm sure annoyed the mild mannered Larssen. Then he faced some guy with a Motiv jersey that appeared to be throwing Motiv, Storm, and RotoGrip balls so I'm starting to wonder if the sponsorships really mean anything at all. Then the Belmo vs. PDW match was just a constant annoyance of Belmo's erratic delivery and arrogant obnoxiusness versus PDW acting as MUCH like a baby as he could without wearing a diaper.

I mean, talk about the WORST guy you'd want to bowl with...if PDW wasn't celebrating some lucky spare conversion as if he cured cancer...he was complaining about the approach or about Belmo's towel. Not once...but it must have been 15-20 times he was complaining about something. Hey Pete!! Next time...if the towel is touching your ball...knock it on the floor. Problem solved. Hell...take it and throw it in the stands or something. But geez...between Anthony Pepe having a nervous breakdown after his win and Michael Haugen asking a random chinese lady to marry him....and now PDW actually whining the words, "But his towel is touching my ball..." it's like a bowling league full of toddlers. Maybe Kleenex should think of possibly sponsoring the event. The commercial would be:

"What did the potentially gay Anthony Pepe use to dry his eyes after blathering all over his mommy's shoulder like a little leaguer that got hit by a pitch? Kleenex. What did Micheal Haugen's mail order bride use to dry her eyes as he akwardly proposed to her on national tv? Kleenex. What does future Hall of Famer Pet Weber use to dry his eyes when Jason Belmonte puts a towlel too close to his bowling ball and then in a childish tantrum he breaks his signature sunglasses?? You guessed it. Kleenex."

"Kleenex...because PBA bowlers are babies."
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by epiepenburg View Post
    I agree, he looked a bit nervous and seemed to really be muscling the ball a lot. He had to much speed and not enough rotation. It seemed to come together a little bit when he made that ball change. Belmo lucked out converting that split, also was cool to see A.J almost convert the Greek church.
    It looked like maybe he should join a sport shot league or something so he could practice that shot (and change it accordingly) on more challenging patterns. That entire match he looked like a guy that was used to a THS and suddenly couldn't figure out the pattern. I didn't feel too bad for him. Trial by fire man. I felt worse for the girl that bowled in the teen finals of the PBA Challenge a couple weeks ago. She was all over the place...looked like ME bowling...and there she was on the national stage and I think she didn't score much over a 100. That was brutal to watch.

Granted, she didn't seem to cry...at least not that they showed....which says a LOT given that most of the veteran PBAers seem to cry over everything from water bottles to hand towels.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    It looked like maybe he should join a sport shot league or something so he could practice that shot (and change it accordingly) on more challenging patterns. That entire match he looked like a guy that was used to a THS and suddenly couldn't figure out the pattern. I didn't feel too bad for him. Trial by fire man. I felt worse for the girl that bowled in the teen finals of the PBA Challenge a couple weeks ago. She was all over the place...looked like ME bowling...and there she was on the national stage and I think she didn't score much over a 100. That was brutal to watch.

Granted, she didn't seem to cry...at least not that they showed....which says a LOT given that most of the veteran PBAers seem to cry over everything from water bottles to hand towels.
    Despite his claim that his nerves were fine, his first few frames looked like he just had too much adrenaline to throw at the right speed. He really didn't look worse than Belmo until the end of the game.
    John

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast