Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 1st pba telecast sunday 12/14 -- will you be watching?

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    For obvious reasons, I didn't really like it. Weber seemed like he was acting even more childish than usual...which I'm sure annoyed the mild mannered Larssen. Then he faced some guy with a Motiv jersey that appeared to be throwing Motiv, Storm, and RotoGrip balls so I'm starting to wonder if the sponsorships really mean anything at all. Then the Belmo vs. PDW match was just a constant annoyance of Belmo's erratic delivery and arrogant obnoxiusness versus PDW acting as MUCH like a baby as he could without wearing a diaper.

I mean, talk about the WORST guy you'd want to bowl with...if PDW wasn't celebrating some lucky spare conversion as if he cured cancer...he was complaining about the approach or about Belmo's towel. Not once...but it must have been 15-20 times he was complaining about something. Hey Pete!! Next time...if the towel is touching your ball...knock it on the floor. Problem solved. Hell...take it and throw it in the stands or something. But geez...between Anthony Pepe having a nervous breakdown after his win and Michael Haugen asking a random chinese lady to marry him....and now PDW actually whining the words, "But his towel is touching my ball..." it's like a bowling league full of toddlers. Maybe Kleenex should think of possibly sponsoring the event. The commercial would be:

"What did the potentially gay Anthony Pepe use to dry his eyes after blathering all over his mommy's shoulder like a little leaguer that got hit by a pitch? Kleenex. What did Micheal Haugen's mail order bride use to dry her eyes as he akwardly proposed to her on national tv? Kleenex. What does future Hall of Famer Pet Weber use to dry his eyes when Jason Belmonte puts a towlel too close to his bowling ball and then in a childish tantrum he breaks his signature sunglasses?? You guessed it. Kleenex."

"Kleenex...because PBA bowlers are babies."
    Mike DeVaney is the guy Pete Weber bowled in the second match. I don't think he has a ball sponsorship deal. He didn't wear any logos on his shirts during qualifying.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by epiepenburg View Post
    Mike DeVaney is the guy Pete Weber bowled in the second match. I don't think he has a ball sponsorship deal. He didn't wear any logos on his shirts during qualifying.
    I wonder how that works. I mean, obviously ball manufacturers want to grab up anyone that might make a TV appearance. But isn't part of that the throwing of THEIR equipment? I mean, Motiv sponsored a guy throwing Storm and Rotogrip equipment. Was it a 1-time thing where all he got was a free (size XXXXL) Motiv jersey? Or is Devaney now switching over his arsenal to Motiv?? I'm surprised there's not some rule about this kind of thing.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowler
    Chats: 0

I wonder how that works. I mean, obviously ball manufacturers want to grab up anyone that might make a TV appearance. But isn't part of that the throwing of THEIR equipment? I mean, Motiv sponsored a guy throwing Storm and Rotogrip equipment. Was it a 1-time thing where all he got was a free (size XXXXL) Motiv jersey? Or is Devaney now switching over his arsenal to Motiv?? I'm surprised there's not some rule about this kind of thing.
    If he doesn't have a ball deal in place, he can throw whatever he wants. In the end it's about what equipment he feels will allow him to win on the conditions given. I believe he has (owns) his own pro shop, those type of guys seem to be less "brand committed" then the typical pro.

As far as rules, technically the only rules for clothing are dress slacks and a shirt with their name on the back. His PBA profile photo is of him in a Radical jersey. He's currently not listed as a pro for Motiv.

Quote Originally Posted by epiepenburg View Post
    If he doesn't have a ball deal in place, he can throw whatever he wants. In the end it's about what equipment he feels will allow him to win on the conditions given. I believe he has (owns) his own pro shop, those type of guys seem to be less "brand committed" then the typical pro.

As far as rules, technically the only rules for clothing are dress slacks and a shirt with their name on the back. His PBA profile photo is of him in a Radical jersey. He's currently not listed as a pro for Motiv.
    I'm not sure what the ball companies do now but at one time you could get bonuses for winning or sometimes even just using a certain product on tv. I'm not sure what he was using during qualifying but i'm sure 1 of the ball was a motiv. They probably said hey wear this shirt and if you use one of our balls and win we will give you x amount. Just a guess.

I'm just saying...if the guy wants to have the ability to throw any manufacturer ball in the universe...PBA approved universe...then don't wear a Motiv shirt. If Motiv makes you a great offer to throw their equipment...then switch your equipment and wear a Motiv shirt. It's fairly simple. But to just slap on a 4XL Motiv jersey when 3/4 of your arsenal isn't Motiv...makes Motiv look sub-standard because even their guys that are getting paid by Motiv aren't actually throwing Motiv...and it's confusing for the public. What if that guy would have won...throwing a Rotogrip Hyper Cell and the next day some bowling schlub walks into his local pro shop and says, "Hey, that fat guy that won the tournament...the Motiv guy...I'm really impressed with his ball motion...I want to get the Motiv ball he was throwing!!!" Imagine the disappointment on "Mr. Motiv's" face when the pro shop owner casually replies that "Mr. Motiv" wasn't throwing Motiv...he was throwing Rotogrip.

I don't even like when Storm people throw Rotogrip or Brunswick guys throw DV8. I think it send the wrong message from the ball suppliers...that apparently, despite Storm and Rotogrip having GIGANTIC arsenals of balls to choose from...a PBA pro can't find 4 balls in either of those lines to throw...they need to pick and choose from Storm AND Rotogrip (or Brunswick AND DV8). The bowling community will likely disagree...and say, "Hey, the more options they have, the better choice they can make and the better they'll do"....and I get that...but like other aspects of the game...how much easier do we need to make it on professionals? They already score in the 245-300 range nearly EVERY TIME...to the point that they've actually lost TV audiences because people see strike after strike after strike...EVERY TIME...and it gets old. I feel that if you took away some of these recent advantages (surfacing of balls, trucks full of ball choices, etc...)...maybe we'd see a game where the two top pros play and it's 221-181. I'd rather watch 221-181 than 299-279.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

I'm just saying...if the guy wants to have the ability to throw any manufacturer ball in the universe...PBA approved universe...then don't wear a Motiv shirt. If Motiv makes you a great offer to throw their equipment...then switch your equipment and wear a Motiv shirt. It's fairly simple. But to just slap on a 4XL Motiv jersey when 3/4 of your arsenal isn't Motiv...makes Motiv look sub-standard because even their guys that are getting paid by Motiv aren't actually throwing Motiv...and it's confusing for the public. What if that guy would have won...throwing a Rotogrip Hyper Cell and the next day some bowling schlub walks into his local pro shop and says, "Hey, that fat guy that won the tournament...the Motiv guy...I'm really impressed with his ball motion...I want to get the Motiv ball he was throwing!!!" Imagine the disappointment on "Mr. Motiv's" face when the pro shop owner casually replies that "Mr. Motiv" wasn't throwing Motiv...he was throwing Rotogrip.

I don't even like when Storm people throw Rotogrip or Brunswick guys throw DV8. I think it send the wrong message from the ball suppliers...that apparently, despite Storm and Rotogrip having GIGANTIC arsenals of balls to choose from...a PBA pro can't find 4 balls in either of those lines to throw...they need to pick and choose from Storm AND Rotogrip (or Brunswick AND DV8). The bowling community will likely disagree...and say, "Hey, the more options they have, the better choice they can make and the better they'll do"....and I get that...but like other aspects of the game...how much easier do we need to make it on professionals? They already score in the 245-300 range nearly EVERY TIME...to the point that they've actually lost TV audiences because people see strike after strike after strike...EVERY TIME...and it gets old. I feel that if you took away some of these recent advantages (surfacing of balls, trucks full of ball choices, etc...)...maybe we'd see a game where the two top pros play and it's 221-181. I'd rather watch 221-181 than 299-279.
    Few problems here

1. Even among bowlers what percentage actually watch the PBA. pretty small just because we have no life doesn't mean everyone else doesn't

2. What small percentage of bowlers can recognize a particular ball off the tv program anyway unless they specifically point it out.

3. With most of the balls Devaney threw I doubt many people were going WOW! I wish I could throw like that.

I've been told a the unsponsored guys get a check for wearing whatever shirt from the manufactures but they don't just sponsor him on the spot and drill a new arsenal for them. I really didn't think scoring was particularly high for this show and there were lots of shots that looked bad (yes I realize that is on very difficult conditions)
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Obviously this isn't a "world crisis"...it's just yet another 'tiny' annoyance that the PBA does. Is it on top of the list? No. Definitely not.

And yes, it's kinda sad that an unsponsored guy will essentially just whore himself out and make himself into a human billboard for some tiny little check. It's too bad bowling doesn't pay better where a person would be able to say, "If ya want to sponsor me...go ahead. If not, I'm fine wearing my own shirts, throwing my own balls, etc..." I mean, it's hard to say without seeing the size of the check...but if it was ME...I'd probably pass on the shirt...especially if it was a brand I wasn't already throwing. And my comment to them would be something to the effect, "If ya want to sponsor me, I'm open to offers. But I'm not interested in just wearing the shirt."

But again....it's easier to stand on 'principles' when you don't know how much the check was for. If it was in the $2500 range or more...thats a pretty decent offer for just wearing a shirt.

On the xtra frame coverage of the TOC this morning Marshall Holman and Mark Roth were commentators. That was worth the entire year fee just to hear those guys reminisce about the past and comment on the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    On the xtra frame coverage of the TOC this morning Marshall Holman and Mark Roth were commentators. That was worth the entire year fee just to hear those guys reminisce about the past and comment on the tournament.
    I really need to get Xtra Frame. The wife is scare though that if I do I'll never pay any attention to anything while any tourneys are active.

She's right of course
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Perrin View Post
    I really need to get Xtra Frame. The wife is scare though that if I do I'll never pay any attention to anything while any tourneys are active.

She's right of course
    She is right but i have been married for 28 years so i can get away with not paying attention sometimes or better yet i have learned how to fake the attention occasionally. Somehow i have made her believe that i can listen to bowling and her at the same time.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast