Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st pba telecast sunday 12/14 -- will you be watching?

Chats: 204

Getting back to the topic….I WILL say that one thing I noticed was Motiv is having problems "finishing" on telecasts. The last time I watched a televised broadcast, E.J. Tackett was all the rage and he looked horrible. Now we're watching Dick Allen just self-destruct and lose an easy shot at a title (as the #1 seed).

It makes me wonder if maybe Motiv is "too aggressive" and/or if their bowlers are having trouble making the proper adjustments as lines break down…or maybe Motiv doesn't have the line-up that facilitates a good arsenal…that a high level bowler might need to deal with oil pattern breakdown.

I mean, these guys (Motiv team) are friggin impressive in qualifying and on fresher oil. But then you see them in the stepladder finals and suddenly they can't keep their balls right of the headpin. We see a TON of Storm qualifiers…and they often win…and a lot of that is that Storm sponsors WAY more players…but Storm also has the most complete line of bowling balls in the sport. They have a great deal of options when trying to ball down or get a different look. Motiv (and the other manufacturers) have much smaller line-ups the bowler has to work with.

Just wondering if thats a "thing" or if I'm reading too much into it.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I'm glad cheetah is out of the way. Not that i want to see the guys struggle, just challenged a little more. But everybody out there are all so great they can light up any pattern so it could be a strike fest anytime. Should be a interesting show on the viper tomorrow with Mika, Barrett, Russell, and Pickford. I think Dom will win but will root for Mika. Who do you guys think will win?

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    I'm glad cheetah is out of the way. Not that i want to see the guys struggle, just challenged a little more. But everybody out there are all so great they can light up any pattern so it could be a strike fest anytime. Should be a interesting show on the viper tomorrow with Mika, Barrett, Russell, and Pickford. I think Dom will win but will root for Mika. Who do you guys think will win?
    Allen goes open, open, open, in the 8th, 9th and 10th on Cheetah. How much more challenge do you want to see? I think Russell will win, and before anyone accuses me of anything, no, I haven't looked up the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Getting back to the topic….I WILL say that one thing I noticed was Motiv is having problems "finishing" on telecasts. The last time I watched a televised broadcast, E.J. Tackett was all the rage and he looked horrible. Now we're watching Dick Allen just self-destruct and lose an easy shot at a title (as the #1 seed).

It makes me wonder if maybe Motiv is "too aggressive" and/or if their bowlers are having trouble making the proper adjustments as lines break down…or maybe Motiv doesn't have the line-up that facilitates a good arsenal…that a high level bowler might need to deal with oil pattern breakdown.

I mean, these guys (Motiv team) are friggin impressive in qualifying and on fresher oil. But then you see them in the stepladder finals and suddenly they can't keep their balls right of the headpin. We see a TON of Storm qualifiers…and they often win…and a lot of that is that Storm sponsors WAY more players…but Storm also has the most complete line of bowling balls in the sport. They have a great deal of options when trying to ball down or get a different look. Motiv (and the other manufacturers) have much smaller line-ups the bowler has to work with.

Just wondering if thats a "thing" or if I'm reading too much into it.
    You're reading too much into it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I think Russell will win, and before anyone accuses me of anything, no, I haven't looked up the results.
    I agree. I think Russell will win. He looked very impressive in qualifying on that pattern. But like FTLOB, I'll be cheering for Mika.

Missed my sport shot league this morning because I over-slept. Not enough negative emoticons to truly convey how mad I am at myself for that…since my Tuesday league has been on holiday and the sport shot league is going on holiday…meaning I won't be doing any meaningful bowling now for a couple weeks. Thats 2 times this week that I over-slept. Maybe I need to re-arrange my bedroom so I can't turn my alarm clock off so easily. I barely remember even waking up. Then I get up and there's a new message from MWhite that he's feeling under the weather and won't be making it. So I guess our teammate bowled the top seed team by herself this morning. Bummer.

But…the ONLY good news is I get to watch the Viper on TV. And so far…AWESOME. Unlike Cheetah…my guy actually won the qualifying. And how did his opponents do? The high rev "look at me hook" players?? PFFT!! Garbage. Straighter is greater folks!!

Interesting to see Mika's loft today. Very, very few bowlers still use that much loft. It's interesting.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

You're reading too much into it.
    STILL reading too much into it??

Hey Motiv! Great job beating everyone in qualifying…but you "might" want to find a way to win a title match if you're going to claim your balls are the leading edge of bowling ball technology. I guess we'll wait and see…Chamelion coming up next week!

MIKA! MIKA! MIKA!

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Missed my sport shot league this morning because I over-slept. Not enough negative emoticons to truly convey how mad I am at myself for that…since my Tuesday league has been on holiday and the sport shot league is going on holiday…meaning I won't be doing any meaningful bowling now for a couple weeks. Thats 2 times this week that I over-slept. Maybe I need to re-arrange my bedroom so I can't turn my alarm clock off so easily. I barely remember even waking up. Then I get up and there's a new message from MWhite that he's feeling under the weather and won't be making it. So I guess our teammate bowled the top seed team by herself this morning. Bummer.

But…the ONLY good news is I get to watch the Viper on TV. And so far…AWESOME. Unlike Cheetah…my guy actually won the qualifying. And how did his opponents do? The high rev "look at me hook" players?? PFFT!! Garbage. Straighter is greater folks!!

Interesting to see Mika's loft today. Very, very few bowlers still use that much loft. It's interesting.
    Great to see Mika win today. He always lofts the ball just changes the distance slightly. I heard that he developed that when he was younger because of the super dry fronts on the lanes he grew up on.

Aslan: Let's talk about a couple of issues. First, in terms of your perception that the Motiv teams balls might be too aggressive to handle lanes with other than fresh oil, keep in mind that Dick Allen lead qualifying where seven games are bowled on lanes with four bowlers per pair. That means that by the beginning of the seventh game, bowlers were bowling on lanes where twenty-four games had already been bowled, mostly by very high rev players who rip up the lanes like nothing you can imagine. Despite that, Dick Allen led. So much for Motiv balls being too aggressive or not adaptable.

2nd, when you consider the Cheetah Finals, please remember that there were three right handers and one left hander who practiced for 20 minutes on the championship pair, prior to two right handers and a left hander bowling the first stepladder game. Next you had Allen, who came back to the pair after waiting out the first game, and Pepe who came back immediately after having bowled the first game. Allen had a great look for the first seven frames before the lanes totally turned to crap. Pepe, despite the fact that he was the only lefty in the field, had already lost his ability to carry by the end of the final game. The difference was that four games plus practice had been bowled on the right side, and two games plus practice had been bowled on the left side.

Finally, let's look at today's match. Mika barely snuck by Russell, while the guy throwing urethane shot 126. Is straighter really greater? Next you have the final where the 14 time Titleist beat the TV first-timer by a whopping ten pins. I too was happy to see Mika win, only because it's been a while since he's won in the states, not because he throws it more like I do than a power player does.

Finally, let's look at today's match. Mika barely snuck by Russell, while the guy throwing urethane shot 126. Is straighter really greater? Next you have the final where the 14 time Titleist beat the TV first-timer by a whopping ten pins. I too was happy to see Mika win, only because it's been a while since he's won in the states, not because he throws it more like I do than a power player does.
    Well…concerning the Motiv discussion…it's just an observation that of the bowling I've watched on the internet and lately…the Motiv guys look like they are almost unbeatable in qualifying and then just fall apart. I threw out the theory that since sponsored bowlers can only use one company's balls…"could" it be an issue that Storm + Rotogrip…is a LOT of balls to choose from. Motiv doesn't have that advantage.

Was that the issue? Probably not. But, the fact is Motiv has fallen on their face thus far in the finals. Bad luck, tough breaks, chance…could be any number of things. I'm just throwing it out there because I thought it was interesting and unexpected. I watched almost all of the qualifying…and the Motiv guys throughout the WSOB were more than impressive. It made me start to buy into some of the stuff Motiv was shoveling that maybe their products (balls) were turning a corner and becoming "the best". But in finals…0-2 thus far. And if you think it's all delusional…I'm like 98% certain that after just those two matches…the Motiv company higher ups gotta at least be wondering the same thing…that they just lost 2 titles when their guy was the #1 seed…and why is that happening? And it's more important to Motiv than to the "big guys". Storm/Rotogrip is dominating the market…they don't need to win. But a Motiv (like a DV8 of the past) NEEDS to make the case that while it may be smaller…it's the BEST. If they get that perception and brand loyalty (similar to Hammer or more recently DV8)…they could be a force in the industry. OR…they could struggle under the lights and cause some 'doubt'.

But as to your last statement that I copied. Dom threw a urethane ball…because he's NOT a straight player. Shorter patterns favor straighter players. Liz Johnson mentioned it before the Cheetah match. The high rev folks simply get backed into a corner and start throwing the weakest equipment they can…and if they still go through the head…their done…or in this case, they're Dom.

And yes, you can imply that Mika being a future Hall of Famer should have beaten the new guy by more than 10…but my response will take a card from Iceman's deck and remind you that Mika has at LEAST 15 years on Ronnie. Mika 2014 is NOT Mika 2007. Like all of us, he's getting older. He'll be in the PBA50 soon. So did a Hall of Famer beat up on a rookie? Or did a young power arm just get handled by a senior citizen? Both are accurate…just different perspectives.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast