Thread: Using the 3-6-9 Spare System Moving Right | USBC Bowling Academy

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Using the 3-6-9 Spare System Moving Right | USBC Bowling Academy

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

After watching both of these videos, I believe more strongly than ever in using a plastic spare ball and throwing directly at all of your single pin spares. Why? These two videos demonstrate it exactly. While both videos talked about using the same target (ten board) as the strike target, in the moving left video, virtually every shot actually hit between twelve and thirteen, while in the moving right video, virtually every shot hit around nine board. Even when the player chosen to demonstrate is a low-rev stroker, the fact that she is playing a target that is right on the oil line makes this method very "ify" in my opinion. Miss to the right, and you're in pure friction and the ball hooks early and misses left. Miss to the left, particularly on left side spares, and the ball never sees friction at all and misses right. I think that the 3-6-9 system was a valuable tool before reactive bowling balls and blocked house shots, but now, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    After watching both of these videos, I believe more strongly than ever in using a plastic spare ball and throwing directly at all of your single pin spares. Why? These two videos demonstrate it exactly. While both videos talked about using the same target (ten board) as the strike target, in the moving left video, virtually every shot actually hit between twelve and thirteen, while in the moving right video, virtually every shot hit around nine board. Even when the player chosen to demonstrate is a low-rev stroker, the fact that she is playing a target that is right on the oil line makes this method very "ify" in my opinion. Miss to the right, and you're in pure friction and the ball hooks early and misses left. Miss to the left, particularly on left side spares, and the ball never sees friction at all and misses right. I think that the 3-6-9 system was a valuable tool before reactive bowling balls and blocked house shots, but now, not so much.
    Absolutely correct. Because of the volume on the middle of the lane now that system simply does not work consistently. For the 3-6-9 system to work you would have to adjust your target left as well but depending on the volume there would be no standard adjustment. Your best options are to stand very near or on top of the friction and control your speed or shoot very straight on left side spares especially. As far as which is better is really what works best for you. There are top bowlers at the professional level that hook at left side spares but most go straight.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

While I personally believe in going straight at all single pin leaves,(with the possible exception of the five pin), doesn't the fact that the bowler in the two videos made all five spares despite missing her mark by up to three boards argue well for the effectiveness of the system?
    John

No, actually if you watch where she misses her target and where she hits on the pins, I think that she would have missed about half of the spares if she did miss her mark.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

No, actually if you watch where she misses her target and where she hits on the pins, I think that she would have missed about half of the spares if she did miss her mark.
    I don't mean to pick on you , but don't you mean hit her mark?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I don't mean to pick on you , but don't you mean hit her mark?
    You're right John. I was in a hurry to get to a tournament today. Good Catch!