Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 14 pound vs 15 pound vs 16 pound Pin Carry in slow motion

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default A 14 pound vs 15 pound vs 16 pound Pin Carry in slow motion

A 14 pound vs 15 pound vs 16 pound Pin Carry in slow motion

This video shows the entry and exit of different weight bowling balls hitting the pins. The same bowler is throwing the balls and the only difference between the balls is the gross weight.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Interesting. I appears that the difference in entry angle, based on the number of boards covered by each ball, has a greater impact on deflection than the total weight of the ball. The 15 lb. ball looks like it is deflecting more than either the 16 lb. (expected), or the 14 lb. (surprising).

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Interesting. I appears that the difference in entry angle, based on the number of boards covered by each ball, has a greater impact on deflection than the total weight of the ball. The 15 lb. ball looks like it is deflecting more than either the 16 lb. (expected), or the 14 lb. (surprising).
    Agree, surprised as well the 15lb looks to have the most deflection. Wondering if it has something to do with the particular entry angles/pocket entry on the shots they chose to demonstrate?

Rob, do you think bowlers will switch back to 16lb eventually?
    BowlingVids.com -- USBC Tennessee (2204-27181) California (222-32895)

IndexGenie.com -- In The Bag --> Roto Grip Wrecker - Roto Grip Hyper Cell - Storm Polar Ice Hybrid

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by circlecity View Post
    Rob, do you think bowlers will switch back to 16lb eventually?
    I don't know what Rob's opinion will be but I do know what
    mine is about switching back to using 16# equipment is and
    that is it ain't going to happen 15# is as heavy as I'm going
    to use from now on.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

"This video shows the entry and exit of different weight bowling balls hitting the pins. The same bowler is throwing the balls and the only difference between the balls is the gross weight."

Just to nit pick here:
    Different weights of the same model ball will usually have slightly different R.G.s and differentials---enough to make a difference? I don't know.

Human bowler, not machine, could be slight differences in execution on each shot.

15# ball looked to be about one board right of the other two balls. I think that has more to do with the greater deflection than any other factor.

I too was very surprised that the 14# ball didn't deflect more.
    John

I guess it was just me but all 3 looked the same to me - slight difference on entry angle, very slight. But overall wasn't a big difference I was expecting. Maybe it was a case where slo mo video wasn't the best media to show the example.

The video i want to see is the ball hooking a total of 10-12 boards and hitting half pocket and ball speed shown. With the type of total boards covered in the video i'm sure the ball was coming in from some friction. You can take a 12 lb house ball and throw it on top of the friction at a lesser ball speed and it will roll straight thorough the pin deck. Does that mean anything? No. I still think a 16lb ball is stronger overall at the pins. I just have old school thinking i guess.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    The video i want to see is the ball hooking a total of 10-12 boards and hitting half pocket and ball speed shown. With the type of total boards covered in the video i'm sure the ball was coming in from some friction. You can take a 12 lb house ball and throw it on top of the friction at a lesser ball speed and it will roll straight thorough the pin deck. Does that mean anything? No. I still think a 16lb ball is stronger overall at the pins. I just have old school thinking i guess.
    The people I see that benefit most from the 16 # ball are the lower hook "strokers".

The larger the angle of entry, the smaller the effective pocket with a 16 # ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    The people I see that benefit most from the 16 # ball are the lower hook "strokers".

The larger the angle of entry, the smaller the effective pocket with a 16 # ball.
    I think the higher rev guys started going to the lower weight because they were looking for extra deflection because of the angles created by new equipment. I would probably be defined as a tweener as i probably would have a 350-400 rev rate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast