Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A 14 pound vs 15 pound vs 16 pound Pin Carry in slow motion

Chats: 0

Good video. The 14 and 16 were dead flush. 15 was a little more right at contact with the 1 and 3 pins. Go with the weight that does not tire you out, 14 no problem.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksox1 View Post
    Good video. The 14 and 16 were dead flush. 15 was a little more right at contact with the 1 and 3 pins. Go with the weight that does not tire you out, 14 no problem.
    Actually I think the 14 and 16 where just a hair high, because the head pin didn't follow the line towards the 7 pin, it bounced a bit back towards the 5 pin area which tends to cause solid 8 pin leaves.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Actually I think the 14 and 16 where just a hair high, because the head pin didn't follow the line towards the 7 pin, it bounced a bit back towards the 5 pin area which tends to cause solid 8 pin leaves.
    I do not know anything about being high. On the 14, 16 shot, I liked the 3 pin following a direct line to the 10 pin. Have a good evening!
    Last edited by Blacksox1; 12-16-2014 at 07:35 PM.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksox1 View Post
    I do not know anything about being high. On the 14, 16 shot, I liked the 3 pin following a direct line to the 10 pin. Have a good evening!
    yep, if you can get the combination of the head pin going towards the 7, and the 3 towards the 10, there is ALMOST no way you can't carry.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by circlecity View Post
    Rob, do you think bowlers will switch back to 16lb eventually?
    Not Rob: I don't think so. I think the taboo has been eliminated and now bowlers no longer feel like they HAVE to throw 16lbs or they aren't "manly". And given the importance on hook and entry angle of new technology balls...I don't think bowlers are willing to sacrafice the revs to move up in weight.

If anything, I think you'll see a trend towards 14lbs. As long as the technology is the same in 14lbs as it is in 15 and 16...I think more and more players will start to look at how they can increase that rev rate and open up the lanes by simply throwing lighter equipment.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    15# ball looked to be about one board right of the other two balls. I think that has more to do with the greater deflection than any other factor.
    Thats what I thought too. The 14 and 16 hit the headpin more straight on causing them to deflect less. The 15lb ball was right a bit so obviously it's going to deflect a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Not Rob: I don't think so. I think the taboo has been eliminated and now bowlers no longer feel like they HAVE to throw 16lbs or they aren't "manly". And given the importance on hook and entry angle of new technology balls...I don't think bowlers are willing to sacrafice the revs to move up in weight.

If anything, I think you'll see a trend towards 14lbs. As long as the technology is the same in 14lbs as it is in 15 and 16...I think more and more players will start to look at how they can increase that rev rate and open up the lanes by simply throwing lighter equipment.
    Oh wise one - do you think they will ever go to a 17, 18, 19, or 20 # ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
    Oh wise one - do you think they will ever go to a 17, 18, 19, or 20 # ball?
    No. I think the tred will go towards 14, 13, 12, 11, 10... Bowlers don't care about striking and average and scoring anyomore...they just want to spin the shiny ball and make it go from one gutter to the other and back and then slam down a Blue Moon in an attempt to impress their girlfriends. Heavy balls are boring. Form is bowing. Technique is boring. Specs are boring. The kids today want "SPIN SPIN SPIN....BIG HOOK...Ooooo....wow, did you see THAT ONE!!? Sure, I only shot a 97...but MAN did that ball hook!!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    No. I think the tred will go towards 14, 13, 12, 11, 10... Bowlers don't care about striking and average and scoring anyomore...they just want to spin the shiny ball and make it go from one gutter to the other and back and then slam down a Blue Moon in an attempt to impress their girlfriends. Heavy balls are boring. Form is bowing. Technique is boring. Specs are boring. The kids today want "SPIN SPIN SPIN....BIG HOOK...Ooooo....wow, did you see THAT ONE!!? Sure, I only shot a 97...but MAN did that ball hook!!?"
    You just described a 14 year old in my league haha, hes got 2-3 of motiv's strongest balls but this year he is averaging like 120. He has a big hook though!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradski9 View Post
    You just described a 14 year old in my league haha, hes got 2-3 of motiv's strongest balls but this year he is averaging like 120. He has a big hook though!
    I think it's pathetic. I kinda expect it from middle schoolers and high schoolers…but I definitely look down on adults that I see in "real leagues" that are averaging sub-170 but insist on throwing thumbless or in some "big hook" way. Listen…if a guy can throw that way and average 190+…I guess more power to them. But if they're throwing that way…and they're all over the lane…and they can't pick up spares…at some point an adult has to think to themselves, "Okay…do I really want to bowl in a USBC league or do I just want to go out with friends once a week and get drunk and make a 10lb bowling ball hook the lane?"

And sometimes, to be fair, it's not something totally in their control. Like it or not, there are bowlers with knee issues and therefore they can't get down into that 'classic' form/release…so they make due. And not being able to get lower…not being able to stay behind the ball with that 'classic' follow-through…sometimes you have to come more up the side and with the technology being so aggressive…sometimes you gotta move inside and play that big hook. I get that.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12