Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: League Night Bowling. What equipment is being used on your pair of lanes?

Chats: 221

Friday morning men over 55

My team
    Hypedr Cell - Disturbed
    Black Widow Insanity - spare ball
    Reax Pearl - Covert Revolt - Venom Shock - Sniper
    Taboo limited edition - spare ball
    IQ Tourf Fusion - Hy-ozad solid - Tribal - Spare ball

Oponent
    Retro LT-48 - spare
    Tribal Fire - spare
    IQ Tour solid -spare
    Hy-Road - spare
    Venom Shock - spare

Chats: 0

DV8 endless nightmare
    ROTO GRIP defiant soul
    HAMMER deadly aim
    DV8 reckless
    STORM iq pearl-gold
    STORM sure fire
    STORM hy-road pearl
    PYRAMID path rising
    STORM marvel-s
    BRUNSWICK c-system
    Last edited by Blacksox1; 12-18-2014 at 11:08 PM.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

In my thursday mixed league:

my team:
    Storm Vivid/Byte
    Brunswick BVP
    Storm Reign of Fire/Roto Uproar

Other team:
    White dot
    White dot
    A very old reactive that had the name worn off

My pair last night: storm iq gold, storm nano, hammer deadly aim, roto grip wrecker, storm wipe out, columbia freeze pearl, roto grip uproar, original black hammer. We are all listing what balls are used on our pairs, but what are your observations about that equipment and the bowlers using them? How is it affecting the lane and what you are trying to do and the moves it forces you to make? For example, last night we bowled a team with a guy that likes to use a old black hammer and play up 5-6-7. I like to play out starting most of the time so when i bowl against their team i have to make sure i don't touch any part of his line. He tends to create a out of bounds for me so i stay away from him. What are your thoughts about the changing lanes as affected by the equipment during your bowling?

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    For example, last night we bowled a team with a guy that likes to use a old black hammer and play up 5-6-7. I like to play out starting most of the time so when i bowl against their team i have to make sure i don't touch any part of his line. He tends to create a out of bounds for me so i stay away from him. What are your thoughts about the changing lanes as affected by the equipment during your bowling?
    I think unless you're at the highest level of team competition, you play your A-game and everyone else plays their A-game and you don't worry about how their lines and your lines are messing with each other. It's like trying to mess with the other teams line. To be able to mess with other people, not interfere with your teammates, and at the same time bowl well yourself is asking a lot of bowlers that in many cases can't hit a 1-3 board target consistently.

This season I've lucked out because two of the bowlers on my team are straight bowlers with non-reactive equipment so the don't interfere with me at all. One other guy is a lefty so he isn't on my line. It's only our anchor I have to worry about and he's a speed dominant player so we're not playing the EXACT same line. Last season was more challenging because we had 3 rightys all playing outside of 2nd arrow. And the anchor on that team threw the ball very similar to me...so we might be playing the identical line all night. Might be another reason why my average dropped midway through the season when he upgraded from urethane to a reactive resin ball.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    My pair last night: storm iq gold, storm nano, hammer deadly aim, roto grip wrecker, storm wipe out, columbia freeze pearl, roto grip uproar, original black hammer. We are all listing what balls are used on our pairs, but what are your observations about that equipment and the bowlers using them? How is it affecting the lane and what you are trying to do and the moves it forces you to make? For example, last night we bowled a team with a guy that likes to use a old black hammer and play up 5-6-7. I like to play out starting most of the time so when i bowl against their team i have to make sure i don't touch any part of his line. He tends to create a out of bounds for me so i stay away from him. What are your thoughts about the changing lanes as affected by the equipment during your bowling?
    I've been mentioning in my scores thread how I'm struggling on Thursdays, generally it's a low-average league and I'm dealing with carry down. I am great in my Tuesday leagues where everyone is hooking - adjustments are pretty obvious and "expected". Thursdays it's been a different beast - the guy with the BVP hurls it straight with some top spin at whatever pin he is going for. The other teams usually have plastic, or in some cases a house ball. It's creating weird and inconsistent carry down that I've been struggling to adjust to, I'd much rather have the lane dry out. Focal point for the second half is making the adjustment and reading the lanes better!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post
    I've been mentioning in my scores thread how I'm struggling on Thursdays, generally it's a low-average league and I'm dealing with carry down. I am great in my Tuesday leagues where everyone is hooking - adjustments are pretty obvious and "expected". Thursdays it's been a different beast - the guy with the BVP hurls it straight with some top spin at whatever pin he is going for. The other teams usually have plastic, or in some cases a house ball. It's creating weird and inconsistent carry down that I've been struggling to adjust to, I'd much rather have the lane dry out. Focal point for the second half is making the adjustment and reading the lanes better!
    I'm struggling with the same thing due to the center flooding the lanes in the morning and leaving them that way all day and for leagues.

There's not much you can do about carry-down. It's not something you can "read" very well. It's either there or it isn't. And if it's there…you almost have to play a straighter shot right at the pocket, which leaves very little room for error and a lower strike rate. OR…you have to find a ball that will read better midland. So that means putting the Pearls back in the bag…and maybe the hybrids…and just throwing solid cover stocks. Again…it's a harder shot…relies on precision…and you're not gonna get that energy so you may hit light a lot…but there's nothing really that can be done about significant carry down.

Significant carry-down…for righties especially, takes away the dry target area almost completely. So an angular pearl is going to miss…almost certainly. And the hybrid,depending on how aggressive the cover stock, is going to struggle to make that turn as well…depending on the amount of carry down. So now you're stuck either trying to play more up the middle and hope theres some small dry area somewhere around the headpin that you can find (good luck with that)…or you have to move right and throw a solid cover and take that high track in a la 1980s…and just hope the ball still has enough power to carry.

Carry down was thought to be a thing of the past. But in situations like these…where centers are simply not doing their job in presenting a playable pattern for their league bowlers…carry down can be more crippling than a sport shot. A sport shot HAS dry area. It's harder to hit…but it's there. A THS with oil smeared up the side to the headpin…there's NO DRY. And thats a tough pattern.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

storm and motiv stuff

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I won't repeat my teams stuff.

Other team:
    Motiv Ascent
    Motiv Venom Shock
    Brunswick Power Groove
    Storm Ice
    Ebonite Maxim

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

2 of my teammates r on motiv staff , so various motivs
    storm optimus
    radical guru

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast