Thread: Is this considered cheating?

Chats: 0

Question Is this considered cheating?

I was told by someone in the league that I bowl with. That I was bending my wrist when I released the ball and it's considered cheating. Is this true?
    Ball Arsenal:

DV8 Misfit Pearl 14Lbs

Chats: 256

LOL, no that is not cheating.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by josh83 View Post
    I was told by someone in the league that I bowl with. That I was bending my wrist when I released the ball and it's considered cheating. Is this true?
    You mean bending them backwards? That's not cheating, and is commonly reffered to as "breaking" your wrist. It is bad form however, and will drastically reduce your power.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendu71 View Post
    You mean bending them backwards? That's not cheating, and is commonly reffered to as "breaking" your wrist. It is bad form however, and will drastically reduce your power.
    Old school thought. Watch modern power players (Tommy Jones, EJ Tackett, Sean Rash, etc.) in slow motion, and you will see that every one of them break their wrist' at some point during the release. This is called unloading and loading, and is essential to a modern power release. It reduced your power in the old days, but it increases your power today.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Old school thought. Watch modern power players (Tommy Jones, EJ Tackett, Sean Rash, etc.) in slow motion, and you will see that every one of them break their wrist' at some point during the release. This is called unloading and loading, and is essential to a modern power release. It reduced your power in the old days, but it increases your power today.
    Okay, let me rephrase that. I'm not talking about the split second right before release. Yes, they break their wrist then but their hand is still behind the ball, not above the ball with the wrist in an "L" shape (when viewed from behind). This is very noticeable and what I suspect this guy is doing. Now, if this guy is bowling like Sean Rash, then I stand corrected.

Chats: 0

Either this guy is trying to get in your head, or id's incredibly misinformed. The only way to release a ball illegally is to have more holes drilled than you are using. In other words, having two finger holes and a thumb hole, but bowling without using your thumb.
    I found a video of Randy Peterson showing how to cock your wrist at the top of the backswing, then uncock at the release to add revs. Totally legal

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Okay, everyone lets not over think this. "breaking", "cupping/uncupping", "unloading and loading", "cocking/uncocking" etc. etc. come on.

The question was is bending your wrist cheating, vdubtx nailed it "no that is not cheating. "

So don't worry about it, bend away.

Quote Originally Posted by foreverincamo View Post
    The only way to release a ball illegally is to have more holes drilled than you are using.
    Note: that isn't exactly illegal either.

In other words, having two finger holes and a thumb hole, but bowling without using your thumb.
    That would only be illegal if there was also a weight hole in the ball.

Holes
    The following limitations shall govern the drilling of holes in the ball:
    1. Holes or indentations for gripping purposes shall not exceed five and shall be limited to one
    for each finger and one for the thumb, all for the same hand. The player is not required to
    use all of the finger holes in any specific delivery, but they must be able to demonstrate,
    with the same hand, that each hole can be used simultaneously for gripping purposes. Any
    thumb hole that is not used with the thumb inserted during the approach would be classified
    as a balance hole.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 12-17-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker