Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What ball do you start with?

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I then re-thought that process when I grew my arsenal from 1 to 2 to 3 to 5…and I started a more "3-line/Benchmark" system. In that 'system', I started with the 3rd most aggressive ball…and chose between 3 potential lines. .
    You said something that may have enlightened me. "3 potential lines!?!? I end up where I end up based on a chosen break point!?!?! moreover, all my balls essentially play that same line with just subtle differences in terms of entry angle and carry. (and maybe a slight difference in hitting higher or weaker on the head pin)" is what I thought when reading your post.

I've been so focused on being consistent with my release and approach that maybe I'm not doing the changes I should. I can stand at 19 and throw to 12.. hit the pocket.. stand at 25 to 15.. hit the pocket and stand at 35 target somewhere in the neighborhood of the 4th arrow and hit the pocket on three consecutive balls by changing speed and axis rotation. (ok.. maybe not 3 consecutive shots.. but given the same lane condition and some trial and error when moving). But I've locked myself in to the same speed and same release.. when that starts to overreact, move 2 and 1.. lather/rinse/repeat.

Maybe what I need to do is start practicing staying with my same line and adjust my index finger... or speed... Make the subtle changes more often and the lateral changes/ball changes less often. Unfortunately, I too often find a 3-4 frame hole in my game when I move laterally because I run into unexpected conditions which make me move again.. and again... Where I may have been better off making a small adjustment to my release or approach to stay on the line that was working so well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobforsaken View Post
    Unfortunately, I too often find a 3-4 frame hole in my game when I move laterally because I run into unexpected conditions which make me move again.. and again... Where I may have been better off making a small adjustment to my release or approach to stay on the line that was working so well for me.
    If you are bowling on freshly oiled lanes, there shouldn't be any "unexpected conditions," at least not if you are paying attention. Any unexpected friction that you find inside your line has to be caused by someone else's bowling ball. It's a very good idea to work on becoming aware of what line each bowler on the pair is using. If you can move in without finding friction that was created by someone else's bowling ball, your lateral moves should continue to work. If, on the other hand, you run into someone else's line, then you need to decide if you can make a much larger than "normal" move to get inside of the other persons line, or if you can "ball down" and try to stay where you are for a while longer.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by bobforsaken View Post
    You said something that may have enlightened me. "3 potential lines!?!? I end up where I end up based on a chosen break point!?!?! moreover, all my balls essentially play that same line with just subtle differences in terms of entry angle and carry. (and maybe a slight difference in hitting higher or weaker on the head pin)" is what I thought when reading your post.
    Most bowlers should have 3 speeds and 3 lines. One line usually represents your "A-Game"…the line you usually do best with and are most comfortable with. Then there is a "B-Game" and a "C-Game" accordingly. For me, my "A-Game" is up the 5-8 boards…outside in. Sometimes that line works well…most of the time it does. But sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's too dry out there. Sometimes the pattern is too long or too wide/flat and the ball won't come back.

So that leads to my "B-Game" up 2nd arrow…10-12 boards. Lots of the times, thats a reliable place to play and find the pocket consistently. Rarely, I'd go with my "C-Game" where I'm playing more inside. Maybe standing 35 and throwing more around 18-20 at the arrows. It's not a shot I'm good at. I usually have to really lower my speed and add some hand to play that line…it's just not comfortable right now.

But thats what I mean by "3 lines". What I've seen…even of pros…is if they fall in love with just ONE line…there are going to be nights where they can't seem to hit the pocket consistently or even when they do…things don't happen…weak hits, etc… I think thats one big disadvantage for high rev players that are lofting the gutters. If you're THAT deep on the lane…you got nowhere to go. And if you can't throw a straight shot…you're in your bag frantically looking for a urethane ball…because you have no other options than ball changes.

It's also why I liked my "3-line/Benchmark" system. I liked having the options…3 lines I could play…maybe a different one on each lane sometimes. And maybe I ball UP…maybe I ball DOWN. But…part of embracing coaching (rather than gifts <----invoking IceGod wrath so he'll return)…is doing things you're asked to do and giving those things a REAL chance. If I'm not happy with my performance, which I won't be until I'm winning meaningful tournaments, then I have to do what I'm told by the coach/pros…and at LEAST give their advice a real chance. I DID keep two lines…despite the coach recommending one though. I'm just not comfortable standing 22 and throwing 12 and just saying, "well, I sure hope this line is good today". I WANT the ability to go more outside. If the outside is playable…I WANT to play there. I also want the flexibility so I don't have to play where everyone is playing.

It's one of the concepts I've taken to heart from working with Rob M. in Vegas. He's big on letting the lanes dictate where and how you play them rather than try to impose your will on the lanes and force a round peg into a square hole. My only disadvantage in truly and fully embracing that concept is I don't have the ability to move in too far right now. I just don't have the hand and I don't have the aggressive skid/flip ball…and if you can't create that big angle…how far left you can viably play is limited.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Aslan: I have nothing but respect for you dedication to the game of bowling. That being said, to equate three lines of play to an "A" game, a "B" game, and a "C" game is rediculous, with or without speed changes. You often cite Norm Duke as one of your idols. Norm throws the same shot whether he is playing three board, seven board, ten board, or 15 board. That is his "A" game. When he is forced to go to his "B" game, he moves way left, changes his release, and hooks the ball. That's it. "A" game and "B" game. Just because you have not yet reached the point where you are comfortable playing different parts of the lane, does not automatically make it a rule that should be taught to others who may or may not be able to do it themselves. Personally, I'm prettey comfortable playing from far outside in to about 17. Left of seventeen is still a work in progress for me. This does not mean that I tell others not to do it. Being a coach is about helping people with their games, not equating their games to your own.

I think people need to always remember that when aslan, vdub, myself, or anyone that is not a coach gives advice it is our opinion on how to do something. That advice is not necessarily going to work for a certain individual or maybe anyone else but us. But that is what practice is for, to try new things.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    to equate three lines of play to an "A" game, a "B" game, and a "C" game is rediculous, with or without speed changes.
    I don't see how given that I've heard PBA bowlers specifically cite being able to play their "A-Game" in reference to the "outside and in line".

You often cite Norm Duke as one of your idols. Norm throws the same shot whether he is playing three board, seven board, ten board, or 15 board. That is his "A" game.
    This seems like we're saying the same thing. Norm has an approach/release/speed…but has the ability to play multiple lines. That makes sense. Varying release and speed is not usually what a bowler prefers to do because a lot of times you're fighting muscle memory.

When he is forced to go to his "B" game, he moves way left, changes his release, and hooks the ball. That's it. "A" game and "B" game.
    Okay…I'm not understanding the point. Norm simply has different terminology for "A-Game" versus "B-Game". But you're telling me that most high level bowlers don't have the ability to vary things other than lines, balls, and a release change?? After we just watched Mika win the Viper by adding loft to his shot…which he is a master at and has been for years?? You're telling me a pro never switches from a 5 to a 4 or 4 to a 3 step approach? That a pro never alters their swing height? Never?

Just because you have not yet reached the point where you are comfortable playing different parts of the lane, does not automatically make it a rule that should be taught to others who may or may not be able to do it themselves. Personally, I'm prettey comfortable playing from far outside in to about 17. Left of seventeen is still a work in progress for me. This does not mean that I tell others not to do it. Being a coach is about helping people with their games, not equating their games to your own.
    Again, I don't think I told anyone not to do it. I think to reach a high level eventually a bowler MUST be able to open up the lane and move into that left side. I didn't mean to imply that someone shouldn't do it. The opposite actually…I mentioned 3 lines and 3 speeds (which I got from a recent USBC Better Bowling video just fyi) because I DO think there's value in developing that 3rd line…opening up the lane. I merely stated that for ME..like YOU…it's a work in progress (for me left of 13). If I venture inside too much…I have NO CHOICE but to change my speed…maybe even more hand. I kinda sound like Norm Duke according to your description!!

And since I (like Norm probably) don't like to alter my speed or release or approach…I'd prefer a ball change or a lateral movement…or something less disruptive/drastic…I consider that my "C-Game". Just like Norm…except I guess he only has an "A" and a "B".

I have 2 examples for illustration:

1) Last season I played my "C-Game" ONCE…played inside (for me thats standing around 28-38…aiming 17-21 at the arrows). I did it because my benchmark balls were missing left playing the outside and the track. Cliff Notes: It was HORRIBLE. I tried throwing it the same way I normally would…but the ball wouldn't come back. I tried moving right…that wasn't working. I tried changing vertical targeting…that wasn't working. Finally I had no choice but to slow the speed and add some "hand". I didn't "like" it. And I wasn't "good" at it. Work in progress.

2) A couple league nights ago I shot a 138-233-153.

In Game 1, I just couldn't get reaction. Washout after washout…right of the pocket time after time. I tried moving right…adjusting my target left…nothing was working. I decided that I simply HAD to slow my 14.7mph shot down. I didn't WANT to. It's a dangerous game when you are working hard on improving your release…to start messing with your timing and release…but I had no choice.

In Game 2 I made that "slower speed" decision after frame 2…then threw a turkey, missed right in the 6th but converted the 1-2…then threw a 4-bagger…then a 9 - to close out the 10th. The guy on the other team asked me "what got into me" and I told him I "just had to slow things down to get a reaction" and he chuckled and responded, "could you speed it back up please? You're killing us!!"

In Game 3, I don't remember what happened…but I'm pretty sure it was more bad shooting and execution…with Brandy & water contributing.

So in those 2 examples:
    1) I played my "C-Game" in terms of having to play the inside line. I guess you could call it my "C-Line".
    2) I played my "Norm Duke B-Game" because I didn't change my line…or my ball…but I had to alter my "game…physical game" to adapt to what the lane was dictating.

See…this is confusing because I thought you'd be the top supporter of my advice. It's based on embracing YOUR philosophy that you listen to what the lanes tell you and don't just play 2nd arrow because thats where you're comfortable. Granted, my "system" makes it a more complicated process…there are spreadsheets involved…but it's really just a work in progress.

I agree with FTLOB. I didn't mean to "advocate" anything in my post or even tell the OP what he/she should do. I was just sharing what I DO/DID. When I actually give advice…which is rare…I try to preface it by adding the Disclaimer that "I am a horrible bowler and nobody should listen to me". And while that may be a slight embellishment….it really IS TRUE. These days, any bowler with an average under 175 is a below average bowler. And the point could be made that bowlers under 195 on a THS are "non-competitive" in the big scheme of things. So yeah…my composite average is like 167…so I wouldn't take advice from me. But I still offer it. Maybe it'll have some tertiary effect where the person will do the opposite or something and that will improve their game. As long as I can help!
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Aslan: The bottom line, one again, is that your need to turn everything into a system hurts your bowling. There are three basic adjustments that most bowlers can make successfully, and by most bowlers I'm talking about non-professionals: lateral moves, ball changes, and hand position changes. With the use of lateral movements inevitably comes a comfort zone, a range of movement where the bowler can bowl successfully. At your level right now, or at least as of the last time I saw you bowl, mastering these three elements will give you a very good chance of becoming the bowler that you want to be. Please note that I did not list speed changes and loft changes to this list. Obviously both can be used effectively, but both can really mess with the other elements of your game if those other elements are not yet firmly established. From one over-thinker to another, if you can simplify your game at this point, work on the basics, and above all, have fun, then sets like 138-233-153 would become a thing of the past.

Chats: 32

Aslan: The bottom line, one again, is that your need to turn everything into a system hurts your bowling. There are three basic adjustments that most bowlers can make successfully, and by most bowlers I'm talking about non-professionals: lateral moves, ball changes, and hand position changes. With the use of lateral movements inevitably comes a comfort zone, a range of movement where the bowler can bowl successfully. At your level right now, or at least as of the last time I saw you bowl, mastering these three elements will give you a very good chance of becoming the bowler that you want to be. Please note that I did not list speed changes and loft changes to this list. Obviously both can be used effectively, but both can really mess with the other elements of your game if those other elements are not yet firmly established. From one over-thinker to another, if you can simplify your game at this point, work on the basics, and above all, have fun, then sets like 138-233-153 would become a thing of the past.
    Have to say I kind of agree here. Bowling is complicated enough without adding additional elements to it. I do know some players who can adjust their speed successfuly but they are guys that bowl 40+ games a week and have all of their game down. At least for me I have enough to worry about keeping my timing and release in line.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 256

I try to keep it simple. I first use the ball that last gave me success in the house I am bowling in. I usually give it a few warm up shots and then maybe the first few frames to see what it is doing. We only get 10 minutes total for 8-10 people so only get a few shots in on each lane.

If the ball is reacting in warm ups the way I would want and not crossing over from the start, that is what I go with. If the ball is not finishing on my last few shots of warm ups, I will change it up. On Tuesdays we have high friction/low volume so never have to really worry about a ball not reacting.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

I don't think developing a "systems approach" is a bad thing. Bowlers already do it and just don't know it. For spare shooting...don't you have a "system"? 3-6-9? Shadow pins? 2-point/3-point targeting? All systems.

We also always line up with our foot on a certain point on the approach...we vary based on that initial spot. We target spots on the lane...we change that target when it is dictated. Thats a "system". Arsenal bowlers have specific ball progressions (most do anyway). System.

Bowling is all about "systems". The most frustrating bowlers to try and help are bowlers who have a complete LACK of systems:

ME: "Okay, where do you start?"
    Bowler: "Around here somewhere"
    ME: "But where specifically? Where do you put your left foot? Which board?"
    Bowler: "What? I don't have a specific spot I always start at."

And thats when I know...it's going to be very difficult to help this person. If it's a kid...they will tend to do what you say. But an adult? You'll tell them should have a place to start...they'll say "Okay" and then proceed to start at various places on the approach.

Systems take out variability. Thats the upside and an important one in a sport like bowling where it's all about accuracy and repeatability. The downside is it tends to stiffle flexibility.

But...I have reduced the complexity of my "Arsenal system/progression" substantially this past month and so far it's been generally positive. I've tried to reduce "over-thinking" as much as possible...just focus on the basics like balance and accuracy. Not saying I'll never re-visit a more complicated system in the future...but like Rob said...I have other things that need more immediate attention concerning my game and it's best to keep as much as possible as simple as possible until I can get a consistent approach/release/delivery

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast