Thread: Lane Oil patterns -- probably a dumb question...

Default Lane Oil patterns -- probably a dumb question...

Ok, based on my knowledge of the "standard" house pattern, it's kind of a "stairstep" (that's what I'd call it). Usually either 35 or 39 feet long.

I know that they use a machine to put the conditioner down on the lanes, but what do they actually use to take it up and lay down a new pattern?

I mean, the patterns are various "shapes" and lengths (I can't find any good images of what the patterns actually look like, with a cursory Google search), but I'd assum there's some way to take up the "old" and put down the "new".

So how is this done?

A typical house shot is anything but typical (see the article I wrote a few months ago in Bowling This Month). The length can vary, the overall volume can vary, the shape can vary, and the ratio of oil on different parts of the lane can vary. The way that I understand it is that the pattern is both removed and added as the oil machine passes forward and reverse. How effective this is is questionable as there is often a ghost of the former pattern left when the new pattern is applied. This doesn't make much difference if the patterns are the same, but try bowling your "usual" house shot after a special tournament shot has been on the lanes and see how it can play significantly differently than it usually does.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    Ok, based on my knowledge of the "standard" house pattern, it's kind of a "stairstep" (that's what I'd call it). Usually either 35 or 39 feet long.

I know that they use a machine to put the conditioner down on the lanes, but what do they actually use to take it up and lay down a new pattern?

I mean, the patterns are various "shapes" and lengths (I can't find any good images of what the patterns actually look like, with a cursory Google search), but I'd assum there's some way to take up the "old" and put down the "new".

So how is this done?
    It's in away kind of like a carpet cleaner.

When you turn on the machine it will lower the duster cloth and squeegee, you push it on the lane. Then you start it, the cleaner head starts moving and spraying cleaner on the lane. After the machine has traveled about 2 feet a vacuum will turn on. Now As it travels down the lane it sprays the cleaner on the lane and the vacuum sucks it up.

Now as it is cleaning going forward down the lane, the oil head is moving behind it and applying the forward pass of oil to the now clean lane. Once it reaches the end of how far it needs to oil. the oil will stop and the buffer will continue to buf the oil for as far it needs too then stop, it will continue to clean the lane down to the pin deck. Once there the cleaner stops and on the way back when it reaches the proper distance it starts applying the reverse oil.

If you want to see some of the different patterns, checkout the Kegel Pattern Library here:
    http://www.kegel.net/V3/PatternLibrary.aspx

Here's sample 40' house shot: (I'm just guessing but I believe this is what we use or based on this)

Here's a 3D image of another pattern

Last edited by bowl1820; 12-21-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

That bottom 3-d rendering of the oil pattern makes it look like the oil is deep enough to swim in. Wonder what the actual vertical depth is.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by foreverincamo View Post
    That bottom 3-d rendering of the oil pattern makes it look like the oil is deep enough to swim in. Wonder what the actual vertical depth is.
    I don't know the specifics for that particular 3D image.

But to give you a idea of "depth"

as a example one THS pattern is about 75 units deep up in the heads.

the US open pattern is around 100-120 units deep up in the heads.

A sheet of typing paper is about 400 units thick!

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker