The Storm Crux is the latest premier line bowling ball from Storm. This ball has a new core called the Catalyst core, that has been years in the making. The Crux uses the ERG Hybrid reactive cover and has a factory finish of 3000 grit pad. The Crux has an RG of 2.50, a diff of 0.052, and an intermediate diff of 0.017. The Crux has great shelf appeal with the purple and white pearl, and black solid with Pomegranate fragrance.
I had the opportunity to drill 2 different Crux, thanks to Ryan Shafer for sending me a “lefty friendly PSA ball”. I drilled #1 Crux with a layout of 4 ¼ x 6 x 2 ½, and the #2 Crux with a layout of 4 x 5 x 2 ¾. Crux #1 needed a small hole to keep legal that I placed on my VAL, 2” down from PAP. I polished Crux #1 and left Crux #2 at the box finish. I am able to use Crux #1 on our house shot as well as USBC White pattern. I posted an 804 while subbing in our Wednesday night four person team league with games of 259 276 and 269. This drilling and surface is great for medium volumes of oil and lighter volumes with longer distances of pattern length due to the long PSA placement and polished finish. Once the volume gets a little higher in the middle of the lane, I need to go to Crux #2 with the box finish, as it can handle the higher volume of oil, without being over/under off the dry/wet boards. Crux #2 although drilled stronger, does not need an extra hole (hence the lefty friendly remark earlier). I bowled an Over/under 50 doubles tournament with a good friend and was able to use the #2 Crux from start to finish, going 200+ over through my 6 games of qualifying. By today’s scoring standards, that isn’t super high, but what is great about it is the fact that I was able to stay in the same place for all 6 games, only adjusting my roll based on how much backend reaction I needed, and that it was on WOOD. This particular wood house has it’s characteristics of being very different from pair to pair and lane to lane, on the same pair. Being able to stay put, and only adjust the shape of the backend reaction based on the topography of the current lane in play is a huge advantage to allowing any bowler to repeat their shot, frame after frame. I have also been able to use #2 Crux on the 36 foot Los Angeles pattern. It was smooth enough, and earlier enough to blend out the pattern, and hook the ball a little on a pattern that you generally want to go a little straighter on.
Often times, if I hit on the first of a new ball I drill, I won’t drill a second one because I figure why mess with success, but the Crux was good enough for me to want to drill a second one, and having the opportunity to drill a strong layout asymmetrical without an extra hole is a huge bonus. I can use #1 Crux when I need some skid and backend reaction, and use #2 Crux when I need the ball to slow down earlier, and blend the reaction more. Either way, the Crux seems like a “can’t miss” bowling ball. I have watched a lot of these balls going down the lane many a variety of bowling styles, and this ball can fit in anyone’s arsenal, that is if they use it in the proper environment. Heavier handed players will have great use on heavy oil, and lower rev rate players can use this ball on medium patterns, and heavier patterns with surface adjustments.
Thank you for taking the time to read my review of the Storm Crux; and as always don’t forget to bowl up a Storm!