Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There are some odd characters at my lanes...

Chats: 0

Default There are some odd characters at my lanes...

Just moved to a new area, and during the week, daytimes, you can bowl unlimited for $10...which is great for practice. I've been going 2x a week to keep sharp for leagues. There are usually a few odd folks in there casually playing, a few guys who seem to be there practicing like me, and the random work/office party.

There's a dude that's there most every day. He's in his late 40's, early 50's, clean cut and silver haired...just looks likes your normal guy. But, it's how he bowls that's just weird. He brings 12-16 balls every time. 2-ball bags, makes several trips to bring them all in. All nice equipment, mind you. He wears SST8's, nice brace, carries a notebook and logs everything he does. Nothing super weird about this, I guess for a really serious bowler or staff guy.

Here's where he's a mystery. He doesn't bowl in leagues, the counter folks told me he doesn't bowl their tourneys...no one's really seen him anywhere but practice. He is really good, if I had to guess his practice average is 220-230. Speed dominant lefty with a decent hook, and very consistent. And, to further add to his oddity, at least 10 of the balls he brings and throws are except for color and make, really just the same ball. I watch his line & breakpoint closely - they're all just the same ball. Same drilling from what I can tell, similar surfaces, he never moves either. Whatever line works, he sticks with and throws all 10 balls at it all day long. Switches back and forth a lot too (why? I have no clue...they're all behaving alike).

He furiously takes notes, examines and goofs with his balls, and bowls some lights out games - apparently entirely for his own amusement.

Part of me is totally cool with this, I mean if that's what the guy likes doing then God bless him, but I just want to shake his tree and figure out what he hell he's doing. It's like his hobby isn't bowling so much as getting a dozen balls to all roll interchangeably, and doing really great at practice...playing games against himself. If he weren't super anti-social and quiet, I'd have an answer for this already...but the dude hardly looks up from his "work".

I call him "Rain Man"...I think he's maybe on the spectrum or something and just wants to bowl in his own little universe.

I'll bet people think I'm weird too. lol

Bowler

Well I agree the ball thing might be odd. Maybe the guy has nobody to bowl with.

I was that guy a year ago, bowled every Sunday during open bowling, came with 3 balls, concentrated on getting back into bowling and not much else. It took the lane owner who watched me every Sunday, to convince me to join a league. The lane owner just so happen to need a couple to fill a team. My wife and I started there. Once we bowled in that league, the owner approached me and asked to fill out a team in a sanctioned league.

Have you approached the guy at all, maybe attempt to strike up a conversation? Who knows maybe he just needs someone to talk to him. Or maybe he's just there to have fun.

Chats: 10

I agree. I would talk to the guy. Just a friendly chat to say hello. Find out the story. Perhaps he is a armature bowler and this is his home town where he practices but tours elsewhere. Maybe he works for a bowling ball company? Maybe he just has a bowling ball fetish? Jk
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Quote Originally Posted by epiepenburg View Post

Have you approached the guy at all, maybe attempt to strike up a conversation? Who knows maybe he just needs someone to talk to him. Or maybe he's just there to have fun.
    I always say "Hi" or "How's it going?" when I see him...but he just kind of answers curtly and goes right about his business...like he's uncomfortable. He's maybe got some people issues or something. Not judging, some people are just super introverted, but it's just a strange routine for someone with clear talent and the time to invest in getting better just to bowl for the sake of bowling.

Plus, the "I want 20 balls that all behave exactly alike" thing makes me think he's got some OCD or something. Dunno, he's fastidious and focused on it, so maybe he just really likes that line he's throwing.

The guys at the counter say the same thing about him, he's an odd bird.

Just strange - and there's plenty of other characters around in there too...he just stands out.

Maybe ask the pro shop guys. He has to get those balls drilled somewhere unless he owns a drill.
    BowlingVids.com -- USBC Tennessee (2204-27181) California (222-32895)

IndexGenie.com -- In The Bag --> Roto Grip Wrecker - Roto Grip Hyper Cell - Storm Polar Ice Hybrid

Chats: 204

I admit thats kinda weird.

But you might want to talk to him…could be something interesting.

I'm sure some people feel the same way about me. I've had people give me strange looks as I enter stuff into my phone and make notes in my notebook.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I admit thats kinda weird.

But you might want to talk to him…could be something interesting.

I'm sure some people feel the same way about me. I've had people give me strange looks as I enter stuff into my phone and make notes in my notebook.
    Well in some cases the person just really is odd too 😎

I think we are all odd to some degree. Anyway, my center has some strange characters.. introverted/extrovert/downright odd behaviour, to the guy with the shortest of all possible fuses, like a time bomb, tic,tic.. Takes all sorts to make up a bowling league

Certainly the clientele of the average league bowling night, is worlds apart from the private golf club /polo day out!!

Hey Aslan, I d/l an app for my phone which I can enter each shot, from frame to frame and game to game in as I bowl.. Used it last time I bowled for first time in practise, fantastic, just wondering if u use it in league play?

Is it Pinpal? It's a great app for stat tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post
    Is it Pinpal? It's a great app for stat tracking.
    Pinpal is good, Bowling Scorer is very similar and free (there's a paid version too, but the free works great).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast