Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golfers have it so much better than bowlers !

Default Golfers have it so much better than bowlers !

Well, at least when it comes to equipment. We can try any ball we want and not spend a small fortune. Most of the time you can try a new ball by finding one lost by another golfer. Do bowlers ever lose a ball, lol,?
    We can try new clubs just as easy,either by trying a playing partners club,or going to a golf club demo or fitting. I treated myself to a brand new set of Ping I'25 irons this spring as a retirement present. I tried all kinds of Ping irons at the demo, and these are the clubs I hit best. I wish you could do the same thing when buying a bowling ball . It would be fun to try a ball you had no business throwing in the first place, just for the hell of it.

Bowling Ball companies often host demo days where you can try out several new releases for a small registration fee.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Some pro shops offer this. These days with the interchangeable thumb inserts, it makes it possible. I've seen pro shops host ball demo days where it may be a few brands and balls to try.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by ralphs007 View Post
    Well, at least when it comes to equipment. We can try any ball we want and not spend a small fortune. Most of the time you can try a new ball by finding one lost by another golfer. Do bowlers ever lose a ball, lol,?
    We can try new clubs just as easy,either by trying a playing partners club,or going to a golf club demo or fitting. I treated myself to a brand new set of Ping I'25 irons this spring as a retirement present. I tried all kinds of Ping irons at the demo, and these are the clubs I hit best. I wish you could do the same thing when buying a bowling ball . It would be fun to try a ball you had no business throwing in the first place, just for the hell of it.
    Buddies Pro shop has or had a program where you could "test drive" certain balls. I was going to paste in a link but I couldn't find one on their website for the program, so they may have dropped it. Then again with the exception of Iceman who would think nothing of hopping on his bike and riding to CT to test out a new ball, no one outside of the area is going to use the service so why mention on the site?
    The selection is/was limited since they had to have several grip sizes represented for each ball. The ball all used interchangeable thumb and finger inserts. the holes would be a good fit but the layouts would be generic and the spans wouldn't be exact.

Occasionally, manufacturers will have ball demos where you can do the same thing. You have to keep on the lookout for when one is being held in your area.
    John

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Buddies Pro shop has or had a program where you could "test drive" certain balls. I was going to paste in a link but I couldn't find one on their website for the program, so they may have dropped it. Then again with the exception of Iceman who would think nothing of hopping on his bike and riding to CT to test out a new ball, no one outside of the area is going to use the service so why mention on the site?
    The selection is/was limited since they had to have several grip sizes represented for each ball. The ball all used interchangeable thumb and finger inserts. the holes would be a good fit but the layouts would be generic and the spans wouldn't be exact.

Occasionally, manufacturers will have ball demos where you can do the same thing. You have to keep on the lookout for when one is being held in your area.
    Here is what you were looking for: http://www.buddiesproshop.com/t-Try_Me_Program.aspx

I've purchased through them, obviously they aren't local to me so I can't try and buy. Just purchased a new pair of shoes through them before they raised their prices on the Dexter SST8's.

Bowling Guru

Quote Originally Posted by epiepenburg View Post
    Here is what you were looking for: http://www.buddiesproshop.com/t-Try_Me_Program.aspx

I've purchased through them, obviously they aren't local to me so I can't try and buy. Just purchased a new pair of shoes through them before they raised their prices on the Dexter SST8's.
    That's it. I saw it recently and then couldn't find it today.

Good luck with the new shoes. I had to pick up a new pair Monday because my old pair, only about 5 years old had the sole split in half just behind the velcro on the right shoe.
    John

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    That's it. I saw it recently and then couldn't find it today.

Good luck with the new shoes. I had to pick up a new pair Monday because my old pair, only about 5 years old had the sole split in half just behind the velcro on the right shoe.
    My SST5's were starting to show their age after 20 years. I figured it was time for new shoes. Now I just need time to break them in before league. I am nervous about switching shoes since I've been wearing the same pair for so long. I slide quite a bit, so if I can't slide and it gets in my head, my game suffers.

Bowling Guru

Quote Originally Posted by epiepenburg View Post
    My SST5's were starting to show their age after 20 years. I figured it was time for new shoes. Now I just need time to break them in before league. I am nervous about switching shoes since I've been wearing the same pair for so long. I slide quite a bit, so if I can't slide and it gets in my head, my game suffers.
    I find the S8 soles work well for my slide. The S10s feel like I could start my slide 4' back from the line and foul.
    John

I'm looking at this from an ex golfer's perspective here. But there is NOTHING WORSE than having to walk after your ball after u have shanked it 50-100m from where u targeted, to then discover u have to drop the ball out, or even worse, u lose the ball ( both incurring penalty stroke), mate, that is hard on the ego, whereas bowling we just stand around the ball return and silently curse at our self, waiting for the ball to find us..

In regards to selecting equipment, no doubt about it, u can easily try before u buy, but the actual game itself mentally rips u apart, u know I played for a few years, I got down to 25 hcp on a easyish course, anyway, there were only about a dozen times I left the course pretty happy with my performance, most of the time utter frustration .. Golf is very hard on your ego and happiness level.. Which is why I cycle now, I NEVER have a bad ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    I'm looking at this from an ex golfer's perspective here. But there is NOTHING WORSE than having to walk after your ball after u have shanked it 50-100m from where u targeted, to then discover u have to drop the ball out, or even worse, u lose the ball ( both incurring penalty stroke), mate, that is hard on the ego, whereas bowling we just stand around the ball return and silently curse at our self, waiting for the ball to find us..

In regards to selecting equipment, no doubt about it, u can easily try before u buy, but the actual game itself mentally rips u apart, u know I played for a few years, I got down to 25 hcp on a easyish course, anyway, there were only about a dozen times I left the course pretty happy with my performance, most of the time utter frustration .. Golf is very hard on your ego and happiness level.. Which is why I cycle now, I NEVER have a bad ride!
    I agree with you 100% ! I'm down to a 7 hcp and its the putting that makes me insane ! You hit the green in regulation on a 400 yard hole and then you take three putts to finish the hole. I think a little of me dies each time I do that.
    Missing the ten pin or any spare in bowling, is equal to three putting in golf ! At least in bowling I'm not good enough to get mad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast