Lane Conditions: Medium-Heavy Oil
Typical Conditions: Variety of Shots
Type of Lane: All Synthetic
What part of the lane did you play? Third Arrow
Did the ball track out? Normal
Weight of bowling ball: 15
Surface of bowling ball: Factory/Box
What grit was the surface of the ball? 1500
Likes: - Good energy retention - Easily creates entry angle - Color Pattern (easy to see ball motion)
Dislikes: - None to date

The Hyper Cell Skid is the latest release from Roto-Grip in their HP4 Line, the top line in their arsenal. I chose to drill my Hyper Cell Skid with one of my favorite layouts (45x5x45) which has been a benchmark layout for me and I was definitely not disappointed.

The Skid reminds me a lot of the motion I saw out of the Roto-Grip Cell Pearl, arguably one of the best asymmetrical pearls to ever be released, and that is something I really liked right out of the box. The motion this ball creates is just so clean through the fronts and easily creates enough entry angle down lane that as the bowler chases the oil pattern inside it will not have a problem getting those corners out.

I think the Hyper Cell Skid will suit a wide range of bowlers because of its aggressive coverstock and weight block, however I think it will fit really well for bowlers with slightly softer speeds or bowlers that tend to have issues with a ball not having enough recovery (pop) down lane with most equipment. This ball has shined for me so far and I don't see that stopping any time soon!

I have used the Skid on quite a few different patterns and felt it worked well on most of them, however I did feel that it performed on higher volumes slightly better when I knocked some of the polish off of the surface. For the Typical House Patterns I thought the box surface was exactly what I needed it to be, as I felt it allowed me enough length to clear the heads but still had enough teeth to transition in the mid lanes. I was also pleasantly surprised just how many games I could use the Hyper Cell Skid for without it being too aggressive for the pattern, even on the lightest of oil I was able to get the ball to hold line pretty well.

Overall I think the Hyper Cell Skid is going to be a great ball for many bowlers out there, it seems to match up well to just about any style. I would be surprised if it was not in the running for 2015 Ball of the Year based on my experience with the ball over the last month.

Feel free to check out my video review of the Roto-Grip Hyper Cell Skid on my YouTube channel (sk8sbowlingreviews) or by clicking on the following link:

http://youtu.be/thu1RWT_RRI

Michael Bauer
sk8sbowlingreviews
PBA Member
Storm Amateur Staff Member
BowlersMart Staff Member
Logo Infusion Staff Member
www.youtube.com/sk8sbowlingreviews