Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aslan's January Slump Video

A lot of great advice from everyone. The foundation looks great and you should be able to build upon it nicely. Biggest thing I see is hand position being on the side of the ball at release. It is hard to see but it also looks like on some of the shots your fingers and thumb are clearing the ball at almost the same time instead of the thumb coming out first followed by the lifting of the fingers out of the ball causing your ball to skid almost all the way to the pins.

Anyways I am no coach and also working on improving my game but definitely looks like a solid foundation for improving on.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Roll the ball. Too much loft.... Loft is fine when used appropriately.
    Vdub receives 2 gold stars. My coach agrees. So "why" am I doing that? Because I'm trying to pick a target and hit it. During my lesson, one thing we worked on was picking out a target and focusing on it...but NOT trying to land the ball on it. The ball still might loft a bit if my target is further out...but it is "good loft" not "bad loft".

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    it looks as if the ball is outside of your head to the right and this is a result of wrapping the ball around your body...Not only that but your arm being so far out also contributes to a lot of pulled shots as evidenced in the video you posted...This can be done by slightly dropping your right shoulder....
    5 Gold stars!! And...a reputation bump! My coach said a nearly identical thing. It's the result of a miscommunication from my last lesson. We were trying to generate more revs and a better release without wearing the wrist brace...so my instructions were to start in the stance with my right hand more on the outside of the ball than under it. BUT...during my push away I was supposed to bring my hand underneath the ball before letting it swing...not keep it on the outside. And what was noticed when I didn't get under the ball in the downswing?? Mr. O got it right...my swing started going to the outside.

We also talked about getting lower (like dropping the shoulder). When I'm straighter...standing tall...I loft because quite plainly I'm too far from the lay down area. But as I get lower..."bad loft" goes away.

Well done new guy!

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post
    To me, what I noticed first is that it looks like you're trying to kind of... force the ball
    Gold star to mc_runner as well. As Rob has mentioned...as Barry Asher told me during some clinic time...I have to transition AWAY from thinking of bowling as a sport and start thinking of it more as a graceful performance. I had the same problem in golf. I played golf like I'd play softball...get your whole body into the swing and the harder you swing the farther it goes. Not so much. Same thing with bowling. I have to do one of the HARDEST things to tell a bowler to do..."RELAX". I have to let the swing happen...I can't "force" it...I can't panic and grab the ball. And thats a huge problem for me...even though it sounds easy enough...is to let that ball go through the swing cycle without helping it in any way.

Great posts by everyone else as well!! You all kinda were circling the same ideas. And thanks for the positive comments.

My lesson yesterday was TOUGH. We spent a LOT of time on just the pushaway. It seems like such a minor part of the whole process...but I was doing a couple things wrong:
    1) Not getting my hand under the ball as it swung down.
    2) Pulling my other hand away too quickly.

Not keeping my hand under (having it off to the side) made the ball go outside of the swing plane. Pulling my other hand away too soon caused the weight of the ball to shift too quickly to my right hand...which caused me to "grab" it for fear of dropping it.

We also worked on trying to stay lower...so I don't loft it...but also not trying to hit a mark as if I'm playing horseshoes...just look where you want it to go and let it go there...not LAND there.

And I got it drilled into my head over and over and over and over (just like I did when working with Rob)...that I need to relax...not think so much. It sounds like the simplest advice and easiest to conquer...but I can tell you...for me...it is like climbing a mountain. So much of that is just sub-conscious...I'm not starting my approach and thinking, "Okay...think about 12 things!! GO!!" It doesn't work like that. I'm trying to remember the 3 IMPORTANT things while trying to drown out the chorus of other voices inside my head offering me advice and reminding me of things. It's SUCH a problem for me...I actually tried bowling after smoking marijuana once just to see if it might "relax" me enough that I can "just bowl". And no, it didn't really work. I averaged 166 over the 3 games. The only difference was I found it hard to understand people talking to me, the lights seemed way brighter, and it sorta felt like the bowling alley was floating on a lake. Maybe I'll try it again tonight...but cut it off at 1/2 a joint rather than the 1.5 joints I tried then.

Well, league night tonight! Thanks for watching my video and commenting!! My coach says I should be averaging in the 180s; not the 160s. And I agree. But, I also gotta not get too frustrated. It's only been < a year and a half since I started bowling. In addition to relaxing my mind...I need to relax my expectations. Bolwing in the 160s should be "fun"...not the end of the world.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Hey sounds like you got some great advice. I know the over thinking part is true I've seen it so bad with me I had to physically make myself quit looking at bowling sites before. Just remember it takes time. I'm trying to remember that myself right now as I'm charging to change from a push away to a hinge.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 0

Watched the entire video Aslan. I like how you ask for comments knowing that you could get some that are brutal. In todays game, over 99% of the time loft is a drawback and should be discontinued ASAP, no excuses! I am in the camp of sliding into the shot, not the plant and roll style. Later on you may want to change that too. You have a solid game for someone that only recently started bowling. Think of the positives and do not grade yourself so harshly based on "statistics".
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksox1 View Post
    Watched the entire video Aslan. I like how you ask for comments knowing that you could get some that are brutal.
    1) Contrary to usual internet standards...most people on here that respond to advice videos are pretty well meaning. I can't think of anyone that has ever responded to an advice thread too negatively. Most guys/galls on here are overall pretty civil.

2) I don't really care. I'd rather have someone rip my game apart and that lead to me either to ultra motivate myself to get better OR take their advice and get better. I'd prefer that to people that just watch 20 seconds and say I'm awesome...because I'm NOT...I'm borderline awful.

I mean, my coach last week was SUPER hard on me. I didn't get punched or anything...but man...there were a couple times I thought I might cry. Maybe not THAT bad...but yeah. Thats what we pay them for...to get us to the next level. Lollipops and unicorns aren't always the way to get there...sometimes it's a swift kick in the rear.

In todays game, over 99% of the time loft is a drawback and should be discontinued ASAP, no excuses!
    I have. If you watch my early videos you'll see a much more pronounced loft. I have only recently semi-re-introduced it...mainly because of watching Mika recently. But also, loft tends to help me keep my shot on line and my follow-through straight...and my shoulders parallel. I struggle when I lay the ball down too soon...because I tend to cut off my follow-through once the ball starts to leave my hand.

But...my coach agrees with you...loft = bad...and it's not being encouraged...thats for sure.

I am in the camp of sliding into the shot, not the plant and roll style. Later on you may want to change that too.
    I'd love to...but right now...as soon as I start to slide...I lose my balance. I do slide a "little"...because if my sole is sticky...it WILL mess up my shot. But I'm over 40 years old...and my knees are healthy..with an *. Meaning...they're "holding their own". I get too "fancy" with slides...I may see a quicker deterioration than I'm hoping for. But it IS something on the back burner that I'd like to address eventually...just like opening the ball up in the back swing...not right now...but it's on the back burner.

You have a solid game for someone that only recently started bowling. Think of the positives and do not grade yourself so harshly based on "statistics".
    Statistics tell the story. Everyone has been fairly complimentary...but the bottom line is the average bowler today should be able to average 175 on a THS. If they can't, throwing modern equipment, then they are a below average bowler. And at the end of the day...you could throw the ball the totally WORST way ever...WORST form in history...but if you average 225...you're GOOD. Thats how it works.

Does that **** me off?? You betcha. I can't stand watching guys throw 230-280 games and they're falling off their shots...horrible form...horrible loft...no axis tilt whatsoever...hand not staying anywhere near behind the ball...just abysmal to watch. BUT...they average in the 180s and have throw perfect games. I am barely averaging 160 and only hit the pocket 1/3 of the time.

All of this doesn't matter anyway if the GIFT philosophy is true.
    Last edited by Aslan; 01-23-2015 at 09:51 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Thumbs up As the World has impatiently waited long enough!!

...NO...Iceman has not returned.

But..

Aslan's Annual January Slump Video hath Returned!!

Okay, BEFORE YOU WATCH IT...a couple things to go over:

1) I am better at editing than I am at filming; and I'm not that good at editing. The "issue" last time was the center had the lights off for zeon glo bowling or something. THIS time...the camera was WAY TOO CLOSE.

2) That last part is important (importante in Italian). This, on a scale of 1-10 in risqué with a Sunday School Christmas Play at 1 and the Amsterdam Red Light District at about 8.5....this video would rate about a "2". 1.5 or lower....I don't warn people....so it's right at the cutoff....but lets just say there is entirely TOO MUCH booty in this video.

3) Rather than torture people with "Baby Got Back" or something of that nature for 4-5 minutes, I decided to play a couple country songs that sort of 'poke fun' at my "Winter Body". See, I'm like a Bear or a Chipmunk or some other animal of that nature. I fatten up in the winter...and then really push it in the Spring so I can achieve that speedo body by mid-June. This is NOT mid-June!!

Last edited by Aslan; 01-23-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Unfortunately, your music choice has violated some copyrights and the video is blocked. At least it was for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Unfortunately, your music choice has violated some copyrights and the video is blocked. At least it was for me.
    *#(@ those Nazis!!!

Now I gotta go in there and click a bunch of junk!

Seems to work for me. No messages or anything. Anybody else??

Chats: 32

Blocked for me too

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast