Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aslan's January Slump Video

Chats: 204

Thumbs down Aslan's January Slump Video

I was going to add this to the greatest video/help thread of all time….Videos for noeymc…but Bowl1820 closed it. So, Bowl…can you ad this to that thread and re-open it? How bout going one step further and stickying it? How bout assuming everything I post is groundbreaking…and stickying everything I post? Okay, maybe the last request is a reach. But it would be nice to move this to the other thread so people can go back and see former videos of my lack of greatness to gain perspective. 'Could' they also click on my USBC number (signature) and have access to my whole bowling video library? Of course. But we both know the average BB poster, especially the noobs, are not 100% bright. Some have had multiple head injuries from motorcycle crashes…others are from West Virginia.

So, anyways, since there's been much talk about my slump in my scores thread…I figured I was long overdue for a video post. Unfortunately, it was on a Saturday…so that means loudness, distractions, and a general lack o lighting…and annoying kids that at one point I think bumped my camera (kids are drwan to any electric screen like moths)…but I did my best to brighten it up even though that kinda hindered resolution.

I looked it over…can't see what I'm doing wrong…maybe the more expert eyes will see something I'm missing.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Well from the WV perspective I'm sure the problem is the hat. ��. The footwork looks quite a bit better I think your first step and maybe all of them are too large but the biggest issue I see is your too far on the side of the ball at release on a lot of these shots seems to be even worse on the shots you don't loft but I'm no coach. Good luck!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 256

Roll the ball. Too much loft.... Loft is fine when used appropriately.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 4

I have to agree 100% with Amyers and vdubtx on the loft you
    only need to loft the ball when the heads are burned bad.

That is unless you cab be as constant at it as Mika Koivuniemi
    is using the loft. If you have to loft the ball to delay the hook
    every time then it is time to get a ball drilled differently that
    will not read the lanes so early.

Every time you loft the ball way out onto the lanes you are killing
    some of the ball's energy and it will hit the pins all girly like about
    like a marshmallow hitting them most of the time.

The ball needs to be able to slide with emphasis on the word slide
    then hook and then roll if you are lofting all the time the ball nevers
    has a chance to slide through the heads and store up energy to hit the
    pins all that hard and get good carry.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Open your shoulders up.
    Last edited by bubba809; 01-19-2015 at 02:01 PM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Bowler
    Chats: 1

I'm not a coach nor am I as experienced or accomplished as other bowlers on this site but I was experiencing a similar problem about 2 years ago and once it was corrected I have added 20 pins to my average. From your video it looks as if the ball is outside of your head to the right and this is a result of wrapping the ball around your body. You are not creating a swing slot for a straight swing and the end result is your right arm being very far away from your body which causes your hand to be in the upper-right quadrant at the release point which is a very weak position. Not only that but your arm being so far out also contributes to a lot of pulled shots as evidenced in the video you posted. I feel your release will show significant improvement once you can straighten out your swing to be more underneath your head instead of out to the side by creating a swing slot in your approach. This can be done by slightly dropping your right shoulder and having the steps you take with your right foot be crossover steps. This will give you better leverage and your hand will be in a much stronger position at the point of release as a result. I find whenever I am making poor shots now it will be because I let my arm flail out away from my head and the end result is almost always a bucket or a washout when I'm caught in that weak position. Just my two cents on the matter, keep at it and don't give up, we've all been there.

I've got to say you should be excited about the progression of your game. The first 3-4 shots (before the lofting got bigger) and especially the 1st in regards to approach/balance looks great. Your footwork, spine tilt, and balance at the line all looked good to me. I'm not talking about arm swing and release, just the approach/balance. Not to say the others are bad, just saying your base looks good. There are plenty of guys that average 200 plus that don't have near the base you have.

These to me these are the keys in order to success (house shot)

1) Approach/balance
    2) Arm swing
    3) Release
    4) Ball speed
    5) Shot Direction

Now some people might say shot direction last??? If you can't do the first 4 consistently regardless of your style making good shots direction wise becomes very tough. The approach/balance you have in the video for the first few shots getting the ball down on the lane is more than enough to average 200+. Based on just the few balls you pictured a while back i still kind of question your drillings but as i said i only saw a few. Is most of your stuff drilled with that pin a little below your fingers and to the right? Anyway, good work on your game and when those other things start to come around your game will improve quickly. Good job man!!
    Last edited by fortheloveofbowling; 01-19-2015 at 03:06 PM.

First, I think you're looking a lot better than before. Your balance and footwork is pretty clean.

To me, what I noticed first is that it looks like you're trying to kind of... force the ball down a line that it doesn't want to naturally be in given your release. Kind of what Amyers and vdub said - it's not quite coming off cleanly to me. You're close though, your game has come far!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post
    First, I think you're looking a lot better than before. Your balance and footwork is pretty clean.

To me, what I noticed first is that it looks like you're trying to kind of... force the ball down a line that it doesn't want to naturally be in given your release. Kind of what Amyers and vdub said - it's not quite coming off cleanly to me. You're close though, your game has come far!
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for putting it in better words

Chats: 39

Same thing from my side. It's hard to see your footwork very well, but you can still tell it's much better than before. Biggest issue is your hand at release. You MUST get more behind the ball and ROLL it.

It's looking much better though! You're much farther along than I was after a year that's for sure.
    Company League Average: 198.1
    City League Average: 186.5
    WTBA Sport pattern League Average: 172.9
    Current Arsenal: Roto Grip Nomad Pearl, Wrecker, and Hyper Cell; Track 920A and 505A; Storm Tropical Breeze; Plastic Spare Ball

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast