Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My hand wants to keep turning sideways

Default My hand wants to keep turning sideways

When I bring my arm back and forward and release, my hand turns sideways. so instead of the back of my hand facing behind, it faces the right. I don't know why this started or how to stop it. I tried a wrist brace but since it's not my wrist (but my whole arm, I guess) turning, that didn't help at all. Please help.

My ball is a Karma Solid if that makes any difference. 13 pounds.

Most folks who turn their hand / arm don't realize they're doing it and I'm guilty of that. It wasn't until a bowling coach showed me in a video what was happening. When I saw that, I knew that wasn't right. Once you get in the habit of turning your hand / arm, you'll likely keep doing it due to what's called muscle memory. You'll have to reprogram your body to do what apparently you know what's the right thing to do and that is to keep your hand behind the ball. Knowing this is the key to more success.
    One technique is to practice relaxing your hand in the grip which will help you to relax all the muscles in your hand and arm. Allow as much of a pendulum swing as you can when you're bowling. Try just a simple swing of your ball at home without releasing it. Pay attention to what comes naturally. If you tend to turn your hand or arm, pay attention to how it feels. If you don't turn your hand or arm, pay attention to how that feels.
    If you're not turning at home, trying turning your hand and/or arm and see how different it feels when you do. When I turn my hand on the backswing, I don't feel much force on the pad side of my thumb and have lost control of the ball. That force on the pad side of thumb just above the crease above the knuckle is what should be keeping the thumb from slipping out of the ball until you get down to the release point at your ankle area. Rolling the ball down the alley rather than dropping it on the alley will make a world of difference.
    Another technique is to try the 1-step drill at the bowling center during practice. There are a number of videos on YouTube showing you how to use this drill to aid in correcting bowling release. Here's a link to one from the USBC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ23LKBLemw
    Hope this helps...
    Last edited by djp1080; 01-21-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Imagine that you have a third eye that's located right in the middle of your elbow on the inside of your arm. Imagine that eye staring at the pins all the way through the shot rather than looking three or four lanes over.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Imagine that you have a third eye that's located right in the middle of your elbow on the inside of your arm. Imagine that eye staring at the pins all the way through the shot rather than looking three or four lanes over.
    +1....point the inside of your elbow down the lane and focus your mental ability ONLY on this until you get the feel for it. It's how I learned to get behind the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Gee... that's kinda creepy, Rob! Eeeeeewwww!!!

Wow! Thank you all for the advice. Thanks djp1080 for the link too. Rob, that's weird you'd say that because I have a tattoo of an eye ball right in that spot! (Ok not really, but it weirded you out for a sec, didn't it? lol)

I appreciate the help everyone

Quote Originally Posted by AngieHall View Post
    Wow! Thank you all for the advice. Thanks djp1080 for the link too. Rob, that's weird you'd say that because I have a tattoo of an eye ball right in that spot! (Ok not really, but it weirded you out for a sec, didn't it? lol)

I appreciate the help everyone
    It would be creepier if the eye tat winked right at the release...

What about a tat of an open eye on the inside of your elbow and another tat of a closed eye on the outside of your elbow...so that when you are on tv and being filmed from down lane, it looks like the eye is closing/winking as you swing!?

Guess they could just make an arm sleeve with this kind of graphic on it...but tats would be way cooler!
    Curr. League Avg: 203
    High Game/Series: 279/705
    Arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (15#), Storm IQ Tour Nano (15#), Storm Mix (15#)
    PAP: 3 5/8" - 1/2" --- I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast