Thread: Some help with release

Default Some help with release

I do not know how many revs I bowl nor my average speed and I don't even know how to determine whether I'm a tweener, stroker or cranker. I always play on the outside of the lane and I bowl fine from that part of the lane. However, here's my problem. If the lanes are dry and my ball is hooking too much from the outside I can't play the inside. The further I move left, the ball never hooks. I can have the most aggressive ball (I've used the Zero Gravity and the IQ Tour Nano) and the ball just doesn't come back. So can someone explain to me how I have enough revs to get the ball from board 1 to the pocket from the outside but not enough revs to play left to feed it out and come back? I don't release the ball and different than the way I would playing outside.

Chats: 0

If you're playing the 1 board, on pretty much any pattern, you're pretty much in the dry the entire shot..that's why you're hooking (and hooking too much). It doesn't take much to get to the pocket or beyond when you're completely out of the oil.

If this starts to hook too much, then go old school and move left until you're JUST into the oil to tame the shot somewhat...but still essentially straight up that edge. Keep moving a half board or board as this line breaks down.

I can't know by your post, but it sounds like your movements are too drastic, severe dry to throwing through the heavy oil.

Chats: 32

You may be making too large of a move try moving your feet and your target by small amounts say 3 with the feet and two boards at you target each time you move. As stated below just because the one board is dry doesn't mean that five is and so on
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Can you describe the line you normally play when the have some oil? For example I could say that last Thursday I was setting up on 15, releasing the ball over 10, shooting for 7 at the arrows, and the ball was breaking between 3 and 5.

Could you also describe what line you're trying to play when you move inside?
    John

If you don't know if you are a cranker, you are probably not one. I assume you bowl on a house shot. From the outside you are playing the driest part of the lane. As you move inside, you encounter the oil. This causes the ball to skid further and not allow it to come back to the pocket unless you have sufficient revs to overcome the pattern as you come out of the oil. If you cannot overcome this, try a weaker ball or learn a weaker hand release to compensate for the drier conditions.

The next time I practice I'll take videos and post them. As for the movement. I don't make any drastic movements. Once I move past the middle arrow even for shorter patterns I can't feed it and have it come back. I bowl the best on longer patterns because of the straighter approach I'm accustomed to. When I tried out for the St. John's Bowling team on the last day we bowled on the LA 36' oil pattern and that was by far my worst day because I couldn't play the outside angle because my ball hooked too much. As I moved left my ball still never came back after feeding it to the right and this was after the lane transitions from the other 18 bowlers trying out with the high revs. Thanks for the feedback.

If your bowling on short patterned sport conditions its a different story your stronger equipment is burning up when you move in. Short oil sport conditions are typically attacked from the outside with weak equipment

That seems to make sense. Would you recommend me getting some pearlized equipment?

Weak and pearl would be the first thing I would try for short patterns. The new Columbia deep freeze would probably be a good option. Something like a storm super natural or the hammer burgundy would be other good choices.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Weak and pearl would be the first thing I would try for short patterns. The new Columbia deep freeze would probably be a good option. Something like a storm super natural or the hammer burgundy would be other good choices.
    It depends on the volume of even the shorter patterns. The pba patterns in general have added more volume in the past year. The wtba patterns though as you were discussing tend to lend themselves to weaker equipment. Of course it all depends on what you want to see the ball do throughout the entirety of the lane.
    Last edited by fortheloveofbowling; 01-21-2015 at 09:16 PM.