Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inerchangeable thumb systems? your thoughts guys needed

Default Inerchangeable thumb systems? your thoughts guys needed

Hi guys,

I have gone back to re learning how to bowl one handed traditional hook at the beginning of January... At present, I'm a very slow stroker kinda style, painfully slow in truth (14mph with the hope of definitely upping that speed).. Have bowled about 70 games thus far, ave 175, so very happy with that....However my thumb seems to swell and shrink faster than I care for.. I heard about interchangeable thumb slugs/inserts.. Love some feedback on bowlers who use these? also how many different inserts do u need?

Thank u in advance guys for any advice
    Cheers
    Hobbit
    Last edited by Hobbit; 01-29-2015 at 07:23 AM.

Chats: 221

I use the Vise IT system and am very pleased with it. Since you say you both shrink and swell I would recommend 3 slugs . Your normal size and 1 larger and 1 smaller. For myself I have 6 due to large weight variations due to being on dialysis so the day of the week and time of day has an effect on my thumb size

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Hi guys,

I have gone back to re learning how to bowl one handed traditional hook at the beginning of January... At present, I'm a very slow stroker kinda style, painfully slow in truth (14mph with the hope of definitely upping that speed).. Have bowled about 70 games thus far, ave 175, so very happy with that....However my thumb seems to swell and shrink faster than I care for.. I heard about interchangeable thumb slugs/inserts.. Love some feedback on bowlers who use these? also how many different inserts do u need?

Thank u in advance guys for any advice
    Cheers
    Hobbit
    I went to the vise system about 6-7 years ago and wish i had done it when it first came out. I have 2 just in the event one breaks. If you have a good pro shop guy they should be able to get them close. With or without this system though everyone should start with a thumb hole at least 1 piece of tape bigger then your thumb ever swells to. That way you can adjust your tape up and down to compensate for the thumb changes.

Chats: 204

I am trying the VISE IT system on one of my balls right now. I am up to 4 inserts now because initially I got sized and then got a larger and smaller one. Well, a few week later, the smallest one felt too loose...so after struggling with it I decided to get an even smaller one. I have yet to use the medium or large ones yet. I may even need to get a 5th one that is smaller yet...because the inserts are slippery so if they are at all loose...sometimes the ball will start slipping off my hand during my swing.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

I would recommend having two thumb slugs in the instance that one breaks. It is much easier in my opinion to get the proper fit by using tape rather than having a wide variety of thumb slugs.

In regards to tape I have the 1" white tape and then 1" Johnson and Johnson medical tape (this feels like the standard black tape that pro shops sell in my opinion). The thing that is so nice about the tape is that I can adjust the size of either type of tape to get that perfect fit and remove when needed.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Chats: 204

I use tape as well, and you can use tape with the IT inserts if you wish.

But for me, having a handful of different sized inserts cuts down greatly on how much tape work I need to do each night. I have some balls that have as many as 9 pieces of tape in the thumb-hole. White and black. But as I've progressed in this early stage of my bowling career/journey...thumb fit has become more and more and more crucial to my success. It's a very fine line between a thumb getting stuck and the thumb feeling loose causing you to "grab" the ball during the downswing. And whether its the thumb gettng stuck or grabbing it...both are main culprits when I make a bad shot.

Chats: 1

One of my teammates my wife and I both use the ITs thumbs love them she has 2 and I have 4 now never had trouble finding the right thumb.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Just a tip about getting fit for thumb and finger size.

You should try and get your fit about the same time of day as you would normally bowl.

Your size can change drastically throughout day. What fits good in early afternoon can be different that evening.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 55

I went to the ICs about 2 years ago, and wish I had done so many years ago.

I started with 3 different sizes, but when I hurt my thumb I went and got the next size larger. Last year I was going to go to Vegas for a tournament and I was afraid that bowling every day or twice a day for 4 days would create a thumb swelling issue, so I went for another size up - just in case. I've never used that one, but knowing it's in my bag is a good feeling.

I'm rather lazy, so I had two of each size made, so I can put one in my strike ball and one in my spare ball, so I don't have to take it out and put it in all the time.

I got so tired of the tape issue. And with the heat here in AZ, it would melt and get sticky. Like Aslan says, you can still use tape if needed with the ICs, you just won't use as much if any. I so like not having to mess with the tape....just pop one thumb out and put the bigger/smaller one in. My sizes are so close together, it would probably be like two pieces of tape or so.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Awesome replies here guys, very much appreciated..

The main reason I stopped using my thumb, was due to taking tape in and out of my balls, sticky yucky and just plain annoying!!

I am using just the one ball for everything at present, but have noticed that my tip of my thumb is kinda pins and needles over last two weeks or so,, very weird feeling!!!! Thrown quite a few games , so perhaps overuse, or I'm holding too tight, which I'm guessing is the real culprit... Was going to put tape in, then remembered my experience years ago using tape....

I'm wondering if the PBA bowlers use IT slugs???

How strong are these IT slugs? As my center , balls have been damaged quite regularly through poor maintenance at times.. Will these things last for a long time? Or should I grab spare slugs, of different sizes ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast